Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Moved: Proud to be British....

Wikiposts

Moved: Proud to be British....

Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:46 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved: Proud to be British....

[QUOTE=NSpaul;5331127]living as a Brit abroad, the shame that goes with being loosely associated to a "mother country" that fails to deal with it or try and fix it.
QUOTE]

i take it then that you have relinquished your UK passport
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Maybe he was a Canadian expat living in Hartlepool.
Could you not spell Hartlepool?
(Edited)
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:57 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i take it then that you have relinquished your UK passport
its funny you should say that. At the moment I can't because it has my PR visa in it, but once I qualify for Canadian citizenship and can get a proper passport I will hold some sort of ritual burning ceremony (or just sell it on the black market)
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:58 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
You can't honestly tell me that you haven't come accross the term "yob culture" or read about the very real problems that are being experienced in towns and cities all across britain "after hours" associated with excessive drinking, drugs, general antisocial behaviour and unprovoked violence? If you are saying you aren't aware of a problem you have your head well and truly burried in the sand. And the worrying thing is there is a growing number of incidents in say the last 3-4 years where the usual anti-social behaviour is resulting in more serious outcomes such as death.
Yes.. and that yob culture is not that different from the yob culture I was part of many years ago...
I remember the football hooligans that ran riot in the streets of Britain when pubs had to close up on match day…
The mindless “mod” violence that recreated gangs on mopeds after the film Quadrophenia a was released
The drunken brawls that would happened outside the working men’s clubs every Friday and Saturday night
The mindless violence during the miners strike and the poll tax riots

Please tell me how it’s got worse…. When I was working their 4 and 5 years ago and when I last visited last year it was still much better and safer than when I was a teenager
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:05 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Yes.. and that yob culture is not that different from the yob culture I was part of many years ago...
I remember the football hooligans that ran riot in the streets of Britain when pubs had to close up on match day…
The mindless “mod” violence that recreated gangs on mopeds after the film Quadrophenia a was released
The drunken brawls that would happened outside the working men’s clubs every Friday and Saturday night
The mindless violence during the miners strike and the poll tax riots
So other than all those historical incidents described in your post above, plus the more recent as reported by the press, you don't think there is problem? No societal breakdown? Just run of the mill stuff that happens everywhere regardless of where you live?

Fair enough, have it your own way.

Last edited by Paul Wildy; Sep 19th 2007 at 8:08 am.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:08 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

So other than all those historical incidents described in your post above, plus the more recent as reported by the press, you don't think there is problem? No societal breakdown? Just run of the mill stuff that happens everywhere regardless of where you live?

Fair enough.
Same old shit that has always filled the pages of the daily mail
with public still reacting to it in the same old way
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:11 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by dbd33
Come off it, it's just another "UK gone to the dogs I'm better off in the back of beyond" gloating thread.
which bit specifically did you feel sounded like "gloating"?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:20 am
Part Time Poster

, plus the more recent as reported by the press, you don't think there is problem? No societal breakdown? .
I did a quick check to see if the hysteria that pervades this site has any justification, the doom and gloom that the UK is becoming as opposed to its former glory that everybody but me seems to remember

I think the number that hit home was that violent crime in the UK has dropped by 43 % since 1995
http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ES...cePageId=18134
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:24 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

NOT!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7002627.stm

With acts like this going on it really is a wonder that the Brits don't a much more hostile reception everywhere they go. What kind of society would make somebody think that it was okay (or even funny or worth filming) to do something like that.

Please read my post (#32) in this thread posted more than two years ago in which I mention witnessing people pissing on other people who are down on their luck.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ectable&page=3

Am I ashamed to be Canadian because of that? No. Harper and the ****wits who elected him tick that box.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think the number that hit home was that violent crime in the UK has dropped by 43 % since 1995
Is it real though, or have people just given up reporting trivial nastyness on the grounds that the cops have no time to do anything about it anyway? Perhaps the government has redefined it or something? Im not saying they have, just that its dangerous to go by statistics alone in the face of public opinion, given the propensity for those in power to try and fix them to make things appear better.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:28 am
Immigration Consultant

I did a quick check to see if the hysteria that pervades this site has any justification, the doom and gloom that the UK is becoming as opposed to its former glory that everybody but me seems to remember

But the first line says "Between 2005 and 2006 there were approximately 2,349,000 violent incidences in England and Wales, according to the British Crime Survey (BCS). "

That doesn't sound like a figure to be proud of, get out yer Union Jack flag and start playing Rule Britannia to me! Nearly 2.5 million violent incidents!

And then it says that only 45% of violent crime gets reported!!! So its really much worse!!!!!!!

And plus tha chart on which you base your 43% decline actually shows an overall upward trend - it was just that the year 1995 was one of the peaks. Its increased steadily over time. See picture below.

So you say things about the UK like "its former glory that everybody but me seems to remember" and yet your previous post you describe a horrific pattern of violence and yobishness that you yourself say you experienced. So, with respect, what the **** are you talking about?
Attached Thumbnails Moved: Proud to be British....-violence%25201_tcm6-6908.jpg  
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:41 am
Part Time Poster

But the first line says "Between 2005 and 2006 there were approximately 2,349,000 violent incidences in England and Wales, according to the British Crime Survey (BCS). "

That doesn't sound like a figure to be proud of, get out yer Union Jack flag and start playing Rule Britannia to me! Nearly 2.5 million violent incidents!

And then it says that only 45% of violent crime gets reported!!! So its really much worse!!!!!!!

And plus tha chart on which you base your 43% decline actually shows an overall upward trend - it was just that the year 1995 was one of the peaks. Its increased steadily over time. See picture below.

So you say things about the UK like "its former glory that everybody but me seems to remember" and yet your previous post you describe a horrific pattern of violence and yobishness that you yourself say you experienced. So, with respect, what the **** are you talking about?
I’d like to point out that a better read of the article may help with your case

Between 2005 and 2006 there were approximately 2,349,000 violent incidences in England and Wales

In the same period, the number of violent crimes reported to the police stood at 1,056,000

indicating that approximately only 45 per cent of violent crime gets reported

However your response would indicate you’d prefer the sensationalism of the daily mail than that dealing with an independent body’s assessment of the state of affairs

I think that 2,349,000 violent instances in a population of 60,587,000 for a G8 nation isn’t bad, assuming that each incident was for a different person each time you have a 3.8% chance of being involved
In reality we know that the more likely case is that many of these will involve the same people so the exposure rate is much lower
Now I'll admit when I looked at that chart is seems to me to be trending back to the 1981 level or at least showing a consistent drop since the peak in 1995
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
How do you know the guy in Hartlepool isn't mentally ill?
Thats a bit of a generalization isn't it? I'm a mental health nurse and know that my clients would be appalled by that persons behavior.

I would suggest you research what exactly mental illness consists of before you express your narrow minded views:curse:.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:54 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
Thats a bit of a generalization isn't it? I'm a mental health nurse and know that my clients would be appalled by that persons behavior.

I would suggest you research what exactly mental illness consists of before you express your narrow minded views:curse:.
When did nurses start having clients? My parents were both nurses (my dad was a CPN) and they only ever had patients.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:25 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

What a disgusting act, whats wrong with these people. I hope he gets a long sentence, although I fear it will be some short sentence probably end up 3 months. Make you sick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.