Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Mothers in law, the good the bad and the ugly...any thoughts?

Mothers in law, the good the bad and the ugly...any thoughts?

Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:16 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mothers in law, the good the bad and the ugly...any thoughts?

Originally Posted by clynnog
This imagery is hurting my eyes.....A pink leather suit...what was she an Avon area manager.
lmao may as well have been - No unfortunately she was the Admin manager / Accountant for my FIL ( and his best friends) business - it was his partner/ best friend she had the affair with !!!!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:04 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I am another lucky one as my MIL is really nice, doesnt interfere or meddle with our lives.

It's the FIL that I cant stand

Gaynor
x
Same here, would love to bring MIL with us to Canada, FIL I would kick off the plane without a parachute....
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
Same here, would love to bring MIL with us to Canada, FIL I would kick off the plane without a parachute....
If I did that my FIL would be shouting at me that I was doing it the wrong way
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I think I get on better with my MIL than my husband does.

I think I am used to deflect the attention away from him.

She does seem a competitive type though and at the wedding wanted to be doing everything and more than my mother was doing.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:22 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think my FIL and yours could be one and the same.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busterboy
I left my MIL in the UK, unfortunately one day she aims to make it over here.

She is not a bad person in any way, she just has a problem understanding that I don't want my family business paraded around the newstands.

For example...she phoned last week and her opening salvo to OH was 'Do you know that your brother just had a vasectomy'? Why would she think that was a topic of conversation?

OMG! This is my MIL, plus she must be the centre of attention or else the mood swings start.

I am due to have my 2nd Op in August with the final one next year.

When i first found out about my illness a few years ago i knew we would have to tell my MIL. I don't talk about in detail but i do talk about it now.

So, we phoned her up & said " i have been diagnosed with X ,, please please can you do just one thing for us?
We haven't asked anything of you in the last 20 years but can you respect my need for privacy & not go telling everyone. If you really can't keep quiet, just talk to the family if you must. This is important & serious.

So that was that, so we thought.

The phone rings 30 minutes later & it is her, she has just gone out & spoken to a neighbor about my condition

What exactly did she not get?

Our first request in 20 years, very hurtful, but she will do what she has to do regardless

She is the type of person who needs attention & sympathy for herself if someone in her family is ill or has a problem

Before i got ill we were able to tolerate her behavior but now with another Op coming up it is too much.

NG x
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:27 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NovaGirl
OMG! This is my MIL, plus she must be the centre of attention or else the mood swings start.

I am due to have my 2nd Op in August with the final one next year.

When i first found out about my illness a few years ago i knew we would have to tell my MIL. I don't talk about in detail but i do talk about it now.

So, we phoned her up & said " i have been diagnosed with X ,, please please can you do just one thing for us?
We haven't asked anything of you in the last 20 years but can you respect my need for privacy & not go telling everyone. If you really can't keep quiet, just talk to the family if you must. This is important & serious.

So that was that, so we thought.

The phone rings 30 minutes later & it is her, she has just gone out & spoken to a neighbor about my condition

What exactly did she not get?

Our first request in 20 years, very hurtful, but she will do what she has to do regardless

She is the type of person who needs attention & sympathy for herself if someone in her family is ill or has a problem

Before i got ill we were able to tolerate her behavior but now with another Op coming up it is too much.

NG x
Ouch. You have my sympathy on that one. It sounds very familiar.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Ouch. You have my sympathy on that one. It sounds very familiar.

Thanks Souv, i have never said anything about this in such a public way

We no longer talk & since being ill it has been as if a heavy weight has been lifted from our shoulders

I always say to OH if he wants to regain contact we can, but so far he has shown no interest.

NG x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to behold

my MIL is very lucky....she got me
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:11 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

I knew someone (who was on about her 3rd husband at the tme) who told her then mother in law to be nice to her, because one day she would choose her "home".

Needless to say shes been through husband 4 and was last seen lining up number 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs M x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:29 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
I knew someone (who was on about her 3rd husband at the tme) who told her then mother in law to be nice to her, because one day she would choose her "home".

Needless to say shes been through husband 4 and was last seen lining up number 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs M x
omg I wish I'd said that to mine
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanah
omg I wish I'd said that to mine
My kids say that to me when i tell them off,

" Don't forget we get to choose your home "
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:30 am
is Happy

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
My kids say that to me when i tell them off,

" Don't forget we get to choose your home "
ha ha and i'd say - uh huh and until then i get to choose when you go out with your mates
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

just be careful with the MIL

THE LOVE DRESS
>
> A woman stopped by, unannounced, at her son's
> house.
>
> She knocked on the door then immediately
> walked in. She was shocked to see her
> daughter-in-law lying on the couch, totally
> naked.
>
> Soft music was playing, and the aroma of
> perfume filled the room.
>
> 'What are you doing?' she asked.
>
> 'I'm waiting for Justin to come home from
> work.' The daughter-in-law answered.
>
> ' But you're naked!' the mother-in-law exclaimed.
>
> 'This is my love dress,' the daughter-in-law
> explained.
>
> 'Love dress? But you're naked!'
>
> 'Justin loves me to wear this dress,' she
> explained.
>
> 'Every time he sees me in this
> dress, he instantly becomes romantic and ravages
> me for hours.'
>
> The mother-in-law left. When she got home she
> undressed, showered, put on her best perfume,
> dimmed the lights, put on a romantic CD, and lay
> on the couch waiting for her husband to arrive.
>
> Finally, her husband came home. He walked in
> and saw her lying there so provocatively.
>
> ' What are you doing?' he asked.
>
> 'This is my love dress,' she whispered,
> sensually.
>
> 'Needs ironing,' he said, 'What's for dinner?'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.