British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Mothers in law, the good the bad and the ugly...any thoughts? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/mothers-law-good-bad-ugly-any-thoughts-547324/)

Mrs Miggins Jul 6th 2008 11:28 pm

Mothers in law, the good the bad and the ugly...any thoughts?

I have an impending visit from my mother in law, and was just wondering what is it that makes these creatures, so interesting, irritating, infuriating or downright intolerable...............on the other hand what about the other ones that are loving, laughing and lovely?

No matter what though, it's rare that any relationship doesn't suffer from a little mother in law stress, be it from one or both partners. So what is it that makes this dynamic? What are your experiences? Is it just urban myth and social construction, or were these women once just like the rest of us.....until the wedding march?

For the record, I get on with mine most of the time, but that's only because I resist the urge to strangle her. The rest of the time I am in awe of her, because she really is quite something - and that's in a good way......

Anyone else just had a momentary flash back of Les Dawson?

A pensive
Mrs Miggins x

AmyDavid Jul 7th 2008 12:14 am

Re: Mothers in law, the good the bad and the ugly...any thoughts?

Now I count myself as lucky as my MIL is the most fantastic woman alive and she would do anything for me and loves me more than she does her own Son....or at least that is what I tell him!...however my OH doesn't feel the same way about my Mother....!

Lorna_D Jul 7th 2008 12:30 am

My MIL was great too. She was unselfish, loved the kids and gave more than she took. A sad day when she died

Alberta_Rose Jul 7th 2008 12:41 am

Hmmmm I have a fair relationship with the MIL, but I feel like I am being judged and found wanting at times! I guess that's less so now than in the early stage of our marriage (1982!)

I can find her fairly irritating at times, but understand that my OH is her one and only and (as far as I can tell) she has always spoilt him rotten! :p She's OK, in a slightly batty way, and I do feel guilty that we abandoned her the way we did, but I also feel cross with her for not making the effort to see things from our perspective and for being so determined that she'd never see any of us again. :frown:

I am going back with our youngest for the first time later this month, so it'll be interesting. I'm not particularly looking forward to it, to be honest, and hope the tears will be minimal! To me it is a duty trip. I'd rather we could have used the time and money for me and my man to go away together, or even the whole family rather than this .... but hey ho. :huh: There's always next year!

My OH's relationship with my own mum is also pretty distant. I guess they are quite fond of eachother, as I am of his mum, in a funny way, but no great attachment. We all get on fairly well ...... :unsure:

dingbat Jul 7th 2008 1:22 am

I detested my mother in law. She lied as much as her loser son did.

Rhodeys Jul 7th 2008 1:42 am

I have a great relationship with my MIL :ohmy: It's amazing what 6000 miles and one phone call a week can make ;)...it sure beats 1 mile and numerous calls !

busterboy Jul 7th 2008 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Rhodeys (Post 6542117)
I have a great relationship with my MIL :ohmy: It's amazing what 6000 miles and one phone call a week can make ;)...it sure beats 1 mile and numerous calls !

I left my MIL in the UK, unfortunately one day she aims to make it over here.

She is not a bad person in any way, she just has a problem understanding that I don't want my family business paraded around the newstands.

For example...she phoned last week and her opening salvo to OH was 'Do you know that your brother just had a vasectomy'? Why would she think that was a topic of conversation?

jempee Jul 7th 2008 2:04 am

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 6542096)
I detested my mother in law. She lied as much as her loser son did.

PMSL.........i wonder if she was sisters with my loser ex and his battle axe mother.........:rofl:

burton bunch Jul 7th 2008 6:40 am

I am another lucky one as my MIL is really nice, doesnt interfere or meddle with our lives.

It's the FIL that I cant stand :mad:

Gaynor
x

Tanah Jul 7th 2008 7:17 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 6542550)
I am another lucky one as my MIL is really nice, doesnt interfere or meddle with our lives.

Gaynor
x

I hate mine!!! haven't spoken to her in a few years now thank god - BUT I put up with her nastiness for 10 years and smiled whilst doing it. MIL is a 'Hyacinth Bucket' or should I say 'bouquet' ( for those who remember it!) in otherwords she seriously thinks she is something she isn't. Large gold mercedes car, pink leather suit had a huge portrait of herself done for over the fire which greatly resembled a Crystal Carrington type thing ( yes I now ref to Dynasty lmao) get the picture!!!!
Anyway she was like the bloody head of the Mafia, the whole family bowed and scraped to her, woah betide anyone who dared to upset her - I stood up te her ONCE and my hubby regretted it for weeks - he worked for the family business and for the next 3 weeks she took away his travel time - which at the time was alot for us. I had IVF treatment and had to travel almost 2 hours to the clinic - she docked his full pay for any days he came with me.

I had an ectopic pregnancy ( well 4 actually) but one of my worst ones I ruptured - she took me to the hospital in the gold merc and was very concerned that I may vomit in the car - I told her to ring an ambulance before we set off and she refused telling me not to be silly. She dropped me at the entrance to the Maternity ward and drove off - I collapsed and was found by a porter was in theatre less than 30 mins later complete with blood transfusion!!!
OH i could go on lol for pages about shitty stuff that nasty old cow did - until a few years ago when I actually had enough and told her to 'sod off' well not in those words. Our family took some stick for a few moths - threatening phone calls, etc - BUT my only saving grace was that she had just split with my hubbys Dad as she had an affair - so the timing was perfect.

My life is much nicer now and needless to say if I can help it she WONT be visiting. Hubby speaks to er very occasionally - I feel he was brainwashed far toolong and is unable to see alot of what went on - BUT he did stand by me when I finally blew :D

sinope Jul 7th 2008 10:34 am

I'm very lucky with all of the out-laws. They are all wonderful. My parents are pretty cool too. Major sympathies for all of you stuck with horrible MIL's, especially Tanah.

Souvenir Jul 7th 2008 10:52 am

I have been lucky with both my MILs.

The first one spoke very little English and I speak no Indonesian. The current one also speaks very little English and I have been very successful over the last ten years in creating the impression that I speak little French.

Elaine B. Jul 7th 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 6542550)

Gaynor
x

I could have written that:eek: Luckily my MIL had the sense to divorce FIL a long time ago.

Cookie Jul 7th 2008 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 6543242)
I have been lucky with both my MILs.

The first one spoke very little English and I speak no Indonesian. The current one also speaks very little English and I have been very successful over the last ten years in creating the impression that I speak little French.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

clynnog Jul 7th 2008 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tanah (Post 6542621)
Large gold mercedes car, pink leather suit had a huge portrait of herself done for over the fire

This imagery is hurting my eyes.....A pink leather suit...what was she an Avon area manager.