Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The most stressful move EVER - well so far...

The most stressful move EVER - well so far...

Old Jun 17th 2012, 1:07 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default The most stressful move EVER - well so far...

So most of you know that my family and I have been planning a move out of town, to a small acreage that is in need of some updating (every single room and window and we have two MIL doors). This all seemed like a good idea way back when, before my OH got ill, since then it has been a bit of a battle. Well last week was moving week.

We had been told by the movers that because we had so much stuff it would take two days (we arrived in Canada with 40 boxes) So the movers arrive on Wednesday to pack up the garages, after two hours they went home and said we'll see you tomorrow. Thursday comes and the guys are moving everything out and it gets to about 2 pm, we're not going to have enough room (we had two lorries outside) then at 5pm, we're not going to finish today, we'll see you in the morning with another lorry.

Friday morning I receive the sad news that my gorgeous brave Mum has lost her fight with cancer and has passed away, I've been pretty much useless ever since.

Today was appliance delivery day, two different stores, 1st one takes chunks out of one of my newly painted walls and my blinking fridge doesn't fit - who knew that the hinges wasn't included in the measurement for the height - not us that's for sure. The dishwasher has a different connection for the water - we think we can shove it under far enough And the second company should have delivered between 2 and 4 pm, we have phoned and chased up, we tried to contact the store just before 5pm and they closed already and now it's 7pm, don't think I'm getting a cooker tonight

On the upside our lovely new neighbours, brought us a planter full of flowers and then at supper time brought us a pasta bake, tomato salad and a selection of beers, we have watched the deer in the garden and listened to the creek rushing and all the birds and bugs chirruping and tweeting and buzzing.

It's been more stressful than moving to Canada because of circumstance (I should have flown home to be with Mum but couldn't) but I think we will be happy here, it's so beautiful and peaceful.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most stressful move EVER - well so far...

So very sorry to hear about your mum PP.

The first job next week should be to dig a nice big hole in the middle of your lawn-to-be and plant a flowering tree in her honour. Something that is flowering right now and will quietly speak pretty and calming stuff to you at this time every year.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

The first job next week should be to dig a nice big hole in the middle of your lawn-to-be and plant a flowering tree in her honour. Something that is flowering right now and will quietly speak pretty and calming stuff to you at this time every year.
Nice.

Sorry too about your Mum, PP.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:44 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

That's lovely Ann, it's a great idea.

Your mother is at peace now and no longer in pain Piff Poff. You being there wouldn't have changed her passing and would just have upset you more, and she'd have hated that. I wasn't in the UK when my mum died, but then I wasn't with my father either - I was only two miles away but stuck in a traffic jam. It's just not always possible to be phisically present, but that doesn't mean you aren't there in spirit.

Your mother left a legacy of a strong and determined woman, able to support her family in times of crisis - she's as proud as can be.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Piff Poff
I am so sorry to hear about your mum, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Glad you are 'moved in' and you can get the place personalised to you. Your description of sitting in the garden sounds iddyllic.
Best wishes to you all in your new home

It would be interesting to hear who you had doing your move, I had a company and was not happy, infact I am still waiting for them to get back to me about the damages to be assessed and paid to have put right!!!. They were like something out of the 'Two Ronnies'

Take care
M

P.s that is a great idea to have a tree planted in honour of your mum.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:31 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Stressing over the fridge, the cooker didn't show up yesterday, so not too happy about that as there are things we needed to go shopping for so we could unpack and get a bit more organised today, so that get's to be done today, the kennels called and the dog has an ear infection- YAY!

We have had lots of deer in the garden this morning including a tiny tiny baby

I am planning on some sort of memorial in the garden, I'm thinking of a bench that I can paint and put names of our loved ones that have passed on as well as some lovely flowers, we have two trees that are sort of bench width apart that a bench would look lovely under. OH has no idea of these thoughts yet lol.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 8:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences on the loss of your mother. All these other little problems will soon be taken care of and I wish you much joy in your new home.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your mother, how awful for you, especially at such a stressful time anyway. Condolences.

As somebody else that bought a wreck of a house in a rural idyll, repeat after me...........'it'll be worth it in the end' (say numerous times a day, until you believe it).

Good luck, look forward to hearing how you are progressing.

Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:09 pm

Thank you both.

Maybe I should start blogging on how difficult it is to buy things that is required, we have been to 5 shops looking for vacuum cleaners today. I don't want a Dyson!

And yes Christmasoopa, my mantra is, 'It will be worth it' and 'Oh it's going to be lovely'
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:27 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

you are in my wife and I's thoughts.

god bless
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:23 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs xxxxx
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Thank you both.

Maybe I should start blogging on how difficult it is to buy things that is required, we have been to 5 shops looking for vacuum cleaners today. I don't want a Dyson!

And yes Christmasoopa, my mantra is, 'It will be worth it' and 'Oh it's going to be lovely'
I'm sorry that you've so much to deal with at once but really who has time to care what brand of vacuum cleaner they have? Just get whichever vacuum Costco has this week.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your mum Piff Poff.

xx
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm sorry that you've so much to deal with at once but really who has time to care what brand of vacuum cleaner they have? Just get whichever vacuum Costco has this week.
Ahh, but we haven't made it to Costco yet. As we have shag carpet - boy what a mistake already, it's only been down since Tuesday. I decided to check online (after my little cheapo vacuum nearly blew up hoovering my new carpet and I only did a sq ft or two) to see what type of cleaner worked well on shag (I wanted a roomba). Preferably I need a canister type where it either has no power brush thingy or one I can turn off, the store is Red Deer do not offer much choice. The 1st three stores we went to today sold ONLY Dyson and one type of Miele - Future Shop, The Bay, Sears carries the Kenmore brand but they all had bags, now I'm thinking I'll just get whatever one that is under $300, bag or no bag.

It's so frustrating shopping in this town, we need stair nosing, off to Home Depot - no we have to order it in. A 1.5 inch plug - sold out, window screens - can find the ones that you make yourselves, do they sell ready made? Who knows after two intercom pages and 20 mins later we gave up waiting for the expert of that section to come, unfortunately its the same for everything you try to buy here

Well I'm going to check out Bissell reviews now as I have seen one that might just be the ticket (I would prefer a Hoover or Electrolux but they are as rare as hens teeth around these parts).
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
So sorry to hear about your mum Piff Poff.

xx
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.