Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

most embarrassing car moment........

most embarrassing car moment........

Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default most embarrassing car moment........

Reading Jonboys response in the petrol head section made me think that theres gotta be loads of these.

I have a couple

One from a couple of years ago that some on here will remember - which entailed going to a gas station where the person at the pump fills it up for you, I went in to pay, got back in the car (actually it was hubbys truck but he dooesn't know I was driving it that day so we'll be keeping quiet forever about the marks near the fuel cap) and drove off with the gas nozzle still attached to it, ripping it out of the pump and having it trail behind me as I drove off - complete with the gas attendants running like Linford Christie after me

A friend had a very old Talbot Sunbeam - her first car I think, and we were driving through town going over an overpass and the bonnet latch came loose, flung up (luckily didn't smash the windscreen) but she didn't want to stop on the overpass because she was too embarrassed, so yelled at me to stick my head out of the window and guide her while she was driving til we got to a safe and more remote place. Like that was safe or even less of a sepctacle than stopping and shutting it.

Someone (lots of someones) must've called the police cos we got pulled over pretty much immediately - and they took their yellow marker to the car and drew big blobs on it as to what was wrong and why it shouldn't be on the road.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: most embarrassing car moment........

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Someone (lots of someones) must've called the police cos we got pulled over pretty much immediately - and they took their yellow marker to the car and drew big blobs on it as to what was wrong and why it shouldn't be on the road.
That doesn't seem to be something to get upset about. I had a Fiesta (and that's not even my embarassing moment) on which the heater didn't work at all so I commuted to Toronto for two winters with my head out of the window.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:57 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That doesn't seem to be something to get upset about. I had a Fiesta (and that's not even my embarassing moment) on which the heater didn't work at all so I commuted to Toronto for two winters with my head out of the window.
Bloody well is when you're 18 years old, its a Saturday afternoon and you're driving round trying to impress the lads, that are driving round trying to do the same.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Reading Jonboys response in the petrol head section made me think that theres gotta be loads of these.

I have a couple

One from a couple of years ago that some on here will remember - which entailed going to a gas station where the person at the pump fills it up for you, I went in to pay, got back in the car (actually it was hubbys truck but he dooesn't know I was driving it that day so we'll be keeping quiet forever about the marks near the fuel cap) and drove off with the gas nozzle still attached to it, ripping it out of the pump and having it trail behind me as I drove off - complete with the gas attendants running like Linford Christie after me

A friend had a very old Talbot Sunbeam - her first car I think, and we were driving through town going over an overpass and the bonnet latch came loose, flung up (luckily didn't smash the windscreen) but she didn't want to stop on the overpass because she was too embarrassed, so yelled at me to stick my head out of the window and guide her while she was driving til we got to a safe and more remote place. Like that was safe or even less of a sepctacle than stopping and shutting it.

Ooh that reminded me of when I had my first car, a 1976 mini (in 1991 so a bit old) and going down the M40 the same thing, the bonnet flew up and I was in the middle lane. A tricky moment or two until I got over to the hard shoulder.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

not me luckily, but an ex girlfriend

after a night out we got in her car to drive home, off she went, then realised she'd left the crooklock on so suddenly found she couldnt steer, or brake so she drove into the nice tree in front of us
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

A room mate of mine from my Army days was driving back to camp in his Reliant Robin. As he came to a long twisty downhill section of road he decided to save fuel, putting the car into neutral and turned the engine off strangely removing the key from the ignition at the same time. All went well as he entered his first bend, turning the steering wheel into the bend. I could only imagine the look on his face as his steering lock engaged at 30+ mph and the front end of his beloved Robin buried its nose into the ditch by the side of the road as the road straightened.
After a couple of nights in hospital he was back with us a little sore but wiser. His Robin was a rightoff.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:46 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I had a metro for a while The worst thing about it was going uphill, it was so slow about 5mph on a good day
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tallperson
Ooh that reminded me of when I had my first car, a 1976 mini (in 1991 so a bit old) and going down the M40 the same thing, the bonnet flew up and I was in the middle lane. A tricky moment or two until I got over to the hard shoulder.
Yep, I had a 70's (I think) 850cc mini. Driving down a dual carriageway enjoying the view ahead when suddenly it was replaced by a view of the bonnet!

I had a friend in the passenger seat who was more scared than me though
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

I borrowed my Brother's car to take my Dad back to Heathrow back in April.
We stopped at a service station for Coffee and breakfast on the way and when we got to the car it wouldn't start.
I obviously panicked as had to get Dad to airport so he didn't miss his flight. Rang the AA and a lovely fellow came and found me. Took the key out of the ignition, put it back in and viola it started = stupid bloody immobiliser had activated!! Mortified!!

Didn't even know the car had an effing immobiliser!!

Dad still got the airport in time to find after I had dropped him off that his flight had been cancelled and he had to wait 7 hrs for the 5pm one!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:24 am
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

I hope cable car counts, half way up zugspitz (Alps). Me, oh and a nun, I farted.....noise I could cover, smell I cound not, it was the change in altitude, honest. Very embarrassing!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:31 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Not really embarassing, as such ... but interesting nonetheless ...

I have had the throttle stick (wide open) in three separate cars! (and for different reasons)

Quite a thrilling thing to happen ... luckily all ended safely!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:29 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
oh, done similar but not for 2 winters - head out, spray de-icer, head in, wipe screen & repeat - & only in Yorks

is that more embarrassing than having a Lada in the first place?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:06 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I once owned a Fiat Uno that I took through the car wash at Asda on the A3 at Roehampton. At the end of the car wash, the damned thing wouldn't start, the electrics had got soaked from the water scooshing up the underside.

So I had to get out of my Fiat Uno, and slowly push it out of the car wash, on a Saturday afternoon, in front of a big queue of Wimbledon's finest in their Jags and Mercs and BMWs and Range Rovers...
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I got pulled over by the police one Sunday afternoon on the A20 and for the life of me, I couldn't remember my date of birth.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:22 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

We had an MGB GT by the name of Elvira which had an embarrassing and initially alarming habit of the fuel pump cutting out without warning.
This was usually sometime after we had driven her somewhere mucky and was due to the rocker sticking.

The only way we discovered to solve this was to immediately drive into the middle of the road and purposely drive over the cats eyes to try to judder the rocker back into action.

Very embarrassing when on the M1, not to mention a little scary if it takes a few yards to get started again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.