Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Most Awful Night of my Life Ever.

The Most Awful Night of my Life Ever.

Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Most Awful Night of my Life Ever.

Yesterday afternoon my youngest daughter had a very high fever, which in turn caused her to have a fit and stop breathing. It has to be the worse thing that has ever happened to us and I am SO happy my OH was here because I was no help at all - apart from managing to call 911.

The staff and ambulance crew at IWK here in Halifax were absolutely fantastic and after lots and lots of tests they allowed us to take her home. She seems to be okay today and we are dosing her up with Tylenol but have been told that it may happen again if her temp. cannot be controlled.

OH is at work today so I am like her constant shadow and feel completely sick - BUT at least she is here with us.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:11 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Most Awful Night of my Life Ever.

Blimey, what can you say. A parents nightmare.

I hope she contines to get better, and if its any consolation you have all my sympathy and best wishes!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Yesterday afternoon my youngest daughter had a very high fever, which in turn caused her to have a fit and stop breathing. It has to be the worse thing that has ever happened to us and I am SO happy my OH was here because I was no help at all - apart from managing to call 911.

The staff and ambulance crew at IWK here in Halifax were absolutely fantastic and after lots and lots of tests they allowed us to take her home. She seems to be okay today and we are dosing her up with Tylenol but have been told that it may happen again if her temp. cannot be controlled.

OH is at work today so I am like her constant shadow and feel completely sick - BUT at least she is here with us.
OMG ! Sorry to hear she was so sick.

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Sending a cyber hug to you. ((((())))))))
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I know how scary that is my little boy has had several seizures, turned blue the whole thing. I guess what with the fact she had a high temp. it was most likely a febrile seizure I never realize how common they are. What age is your little girl? I'm sure she'll surprise you and be back to normal in no time.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:16 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaaaw Amy bless your little baby.

If its of any consellation it happened to my daughter too, it is the most frightening thing in the world when it happens, but you didn't panic and she is on the mend.

It is more common than people think, just monitor her and she should be fine (though i'm not a doctor), my baby never fitted again after that one occasion.

Big hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mim_Pangers will become famous soon enoughMim_Pangers will become famous soon enough

Biig huug to you. I she gets better soon.

My eldest daughter had a few feberile convulsions (sp?) as a toddler and did grow out of them. They seemed to go hand in had with a high temp and flu-like symptoms.

I seem to recall letting her eat ice-cream and giving lots of tepid baths to keep her cool.

Take care

m x
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:23 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mim_Pangers
Biig huug to you. I she gets better soon.

My eldest daughter had a few feberile convulsions (sp?) as a toddler and did grow out of them. They seemed to go hand in had with a high temp and flu-like symptoms.

I seem to recall letting her eat ice-cream and giving lots of tepid baths to keep her cool.

Take care

m x
I am attempting to get ice cream down today but all she wants is marshmellows!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I am attempting to get ice cream down today but all she wants is marshmellows!
Bless ..... hope she'll feel better soon!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Amy you poor thing and your little daughter, she must have been so frightened too as well as her mum and dad!

Hope it never happens again
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amy and co
Sorry to hear your news. Our daughter had a similar thing when she was little and the doctor said to strip her off and cool her down with cold flannels, seemed to help. She only ever had one and has been right as rain ever since. Fingers crossed it's a one off for you too.
Let us know how she goes on. Thinking of you.

OKMurrays
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Brown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant future

How awful for you...
Sending lots of get well hugs......
hope she feels loads better soon.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Sue_Rawlings is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope she is soon on the mend, it happened to my daughter too when she was a toddler, it is the most frightening thing. Thankfully it only ever happened the once.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:18 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

a big hug for you and little un {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{v}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

It is more common than you realise, if my daughter spiked a temp you could almost fry and egg on her body, then she had her tonsils out and it stopped. In turn her daughter is the same but like your little un did tended to stop breathing she had her tonsils removed last year and it ok now.

Keep safe and give her marshmallow if she wants them
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

HIya...
I sooooo sympathise. My oldest son had a febrile convulsion just before we left the UK...His whole face and lips turned black as he had also stopped breathing. I must say the UK ambulance service were with us in about three minutes and were fantastic...Worst part was that I couldn't stay with him overnight in the hospital as son no. 2 was only two wks old and there was a vomiting bug there they obviously didn't want to expose him to!!!

He has never had another although we have been told that son 2 might also have one....At least this time we will know about it....

Lots of sympathy hugs
L
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

That must have been terrifying. I hope she's 100% again soon.

My eldest used to get raging temps every time he had the slightest repiratory infection, but thankfully wasn't prone to convulsions.

One useful thing we did find out was that (in his case) ibuprofen was FAR more effective at lowering his fevers than paracetamol (sorry - acetaminophen!) which made barely no difference.

We were also advised that the best effect was achieved by alternating the two meds. They can be given at the same time with no ill effects as they're totally different drugs, but always making sure that you never exceed the max daily doseage of either (and leave a min of 4hrs between paracetamol doses and 6hrs between ibuprofen doses.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.