Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Mossie and other bugs repellent !

Mossie and other bugs repellent !

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:53 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mossie and other bugs repellent !

Hi

We are arriving in NS when I have heard it can be perhaps the worst time for bugs etc

Can anyone recommend a particular product? I normally use stuff containing deet when we have gone abroad,(jungle juice I think) but aware that this has restrictions for little ones.

Is there anything that you use that works?! and is safe for kids?

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mossie and other bugs repellent !

In NS this is the only effective bug repellent:

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How small are the kids?

If babes there is a thing called bite blocker that works and is Deet free....we mail ordered it, but to be honest the lower concentration deet sprays like childrens strength OFF are the best solution for anyone past toddler age. That and dark clothing and avoiding bad areas at dusk etc...
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:59 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
In NS this is the only effective bug repellent:

http://www.frontiernet.net/%7Ewbyman/BigShotgun.jpg
thanks for that
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
How small are the kids?

If babes there is a thing called bite blocker that works and is Deet free....we mail ordered it, but to be honest the lower concentration deet sprays like childrens strength OFF are the best solution for anyone past toddler age. That and dark clothing and avoiding bad areas at dusk etc...
thanks

Kids are 6 and 2
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
thanks

Kids are 6 and 2

6 year old will be fine with the Kids "Off" (canadian tire, drug stores etc carry it), the two year old will depend how much they sticks hands etc in mouth, probably be OK without having to find the "bite blocker", unless you are really worried about Deet.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:07 pm

6 year old will be fine with the Kids "Off" (canadian tire, drug stores etc carry it), the two year old will depend how much they sticks hands etc in mouth, probably be OK without having to find the "bite blocker", unless you are really worried about Deet.
Thanks for advice
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:20 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Apparantly Listerine works really well at keeping black fly and mosies away. Not tried it myself but will be doing so this year!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

we found "watkins" the best of the deet potions, it's in a nice cream so not harsh on this skin. for the kids OFF seemed ok
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I like to use any potion with a DEET concentration high enough to dissolve the paint from the bottle.

Good thing I don't have kids.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Apparantly Listerine works really well at keeping black fly and mosies away. Not tried it myself but will be doing so this year!
Id never heard that one...not sure there is any science behind it, so I'd file that with other home made remedies like avon skinsosoft and bounce sheets, which have never been proven to be particularly effective in controlled tests.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:37 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Id never heard that one...not sure there is any science behind it, so I'd file that with other home made remedies like avon skinsosoft and bounce sheets, which have never been proven to be particularly effective in controlled tests.
I've tried the Skinsosoft method. I nearly bled to death.

Can we say "DEET" on here? It's an acronym.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I've tried the Skinsosoft method. I nearly bled to death.

Can we say "DEET" on here? It's an acronym.
you write it first then the rest of us can cut and paste it
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
you write it first then the rest of us can cut and paste it
So it's just me that will get the ban? That's not very charitable of you.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

The Avon Skin So Soft stuff is supposed to keep them away, I am hoping this works well as last year bitten to death.

Amazingly, kids NEVER got bitten without any protection & outside all the time, I only had to pop out sometimes for 5 mins & eaten alive !

Someone at work told me because i ate bananas daily - mozzies were attracted to me !

Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.