Mortgage rates

Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage rates

Originally Posted by iaink
As long as you know which it is I dont see it much matters. As Mr Martin points out, after a few years its time to revisit it all again anyway...
Yeah. I guess I was just taken aback by the thought of this happening - as JonboyE says above, if you don't realize then it could be quite alarming if you think you are coming to the end of your mortgage but suddenly find you've got a year or two left.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:24 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah. I guess I was just taken aback by the thought of this happening - as JonboyE says above, if you don't realize then it could be quite alarming if you think you are coming to the end of your mortgage but suddenly find you've got a year or two left.
It came as a surprise to me as I was waiting for a letter telling me my payment would be going up. Of course it never did and my payment didn't change. With the odd quarter of a percent its not a big deal, but you could easily get to the point where your payment wouldn't even be covering the interest. I'm not sure whether in that case they do act. I now overpay, though of course not by as much as I think I am
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I found this out after I had signed up for a 5 year fixed. I didn't know how long it would take to be earning a decent salary and I wanted the security of a "fixed" payment. When I realised that it would not go up regardless I was more than a little miffed.

Hey ho
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I have a variable rate....0.82% below prime til 2013. Payment very definately varied with changes in interest rate until I told them not to drop it any further as rates decreased. I think I'm paying at an equivalent of 4.25% or so meaning that I am paying down my mortgage faster. That's a good thing.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lmartin999
If your new mortgage is under 80% of valuation I can't see why it would.

I'd be quite happy with prime - .75 at the moment. I think fixed rates are overpriced and overhyped here. I'd take variable and overpay if you can.
Originally Posted by johnh009
I believe mortgage insurance applies when your mortgage is more than 80% greater than the value of your home (i.e. less than 20% down) so this will not apply in your case:

http://www.canadamortgages.ca/new25down.html
So does anyone know the answer to this? - if you initially took out a mortgage with CMHC insurance (less than 20% down) and now if you remortaged, with some capital paid down and an increase in property value, the mortgage would now be less than 80% of the property value. So would those additional insurance amounts disappear from the remortaged loan or are you stuck with them??
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:22 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
So does anyone know the answer to this? - if you initially took out a mortgage with CMHC insurance (less than 20% down) and now if you remortaged, with some capital paid down and an increase in property value, the mortgage would now be less than 80% of the property value. So would those additional insurance amounts disappear from the remortaged loan or are you stuck with them??
Isnt that exactly what I was asking? You refinance the balance as is, with no additional premium.

The reason I asked was that some mortgages offer a "skip a payment" option. I thought mine did, but it turns out (so they say) that if its CMHC covered that option is not in play. Something to clarify with them next time around I guess, although obviously its not an option I want to take up unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 30th 2011 at 7:26 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:30 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
I didnt have CMHC this time around, but I did remortgage a year in to a 5 year closed mortgage as rates had changed a lot and i wanted a better deal. It required a revaluation. I would assume that the valuation at the point of the new mortgage would be the one used in any determination - be it in your favour or not.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Isnt that exactly what I was asking? You refinance the balance as is, with no additional premium.

The reason I asked was that some mortgages offer a "skip a payment" option. I thought mine did, but it turns out (so they say) that if its CMHC covered that option is not in play. Something to clarify with them next time around I guess, although obviously its not an option I want to take up unless absolutely necessary.
Apologies, I must have skipped over your post, but seen the subsequent answers
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:00 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Its also worth going for biweekly payments instead of monthly too - for the sake of the equivalent of one more monthly payment a year, it shaved about 9 years off the mortgage!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:07 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Its also worth going for biweekly payments instead of monthly too - for the sake of the equivalent of one more monthly payment a year, it shaved about 9 years off the mortgage!
Id get confused as I get paid bimonthly... bound to end up short at some point when that extra payment slips out. Better I think for me to be able to make an extra payment now and then instead... YMMV.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Id get confused as I get paid bimonthly... bound to end up short at some point when that extra payment slips out. Better I think for me to be able to make an extra payment now and then instead... YMMV.
I get paid bi-weekly so that would make sense. Though everyone else in the office has just changed over to twice monthly for some reason which defies logic.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Remember, there are accelerated weekly/biweekly payments and the standard form of weekly/biweekly payments. It is only with the accelerated payment method that you really make a gain, like yourselves. With the standard method, the gain is peanuts in comparison.

Accelerated is where they divide your annual total payment by 48 and not 52 (for weekly or 24/26 for biweekly), thus you end up making an additional payment within the year. This is where you make most of the gains and not by the fact that you are paying more frequently.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 31st 2011 at 9:48 am.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a good blurb which outlines the gains to be made by an accelerated payment schedule:

"Accelerated bi-weekly payments

http://www.lendingmax.ca/artman/publ...e_payments.php

Bruce Schoenne, RI, AACI, P.App.
Aug 11, 2009 - 7:46:00 PM
RSS?
How do accelerated bi-weekly mortgage payments work and how can they help pay my mortgage off quicker?

If you're looking for ways to pay off your mortgage quicker, you have three basic options; reduce your amortization period, increase your monthly mortgage payment or change the way you make your payments.

If changing the way you make your payments sounds appealing, than accelerated bi-weekly mortgage payments might be just the ticket.

Not to be confused with semi-monthly mortgage payments (24 payments per year), accelerated bi-weekly mortgage payments (26 payments per year) will not only pay your mortgage off quicker, but it's guaranteed to save you a significant amount of money over the term of your mortgage.

Here's how it works.

Let's say you have a mortgage of $100,000, an interest rate of 5.00% and an amortization period of 25 years. Your monthly mortgage payment would be $581.60 and your total payments for a year would be ($581.60 x 12) $6,979.20.

To understand the savings accelerated bi-weekly mortgage payments can make, take the monthly mortgage payment of $581.60 and divide it by two ($581.60 / 2 = $290.80). Then take that payment and multiple it by 26 to arrive at your total of all payments for the year ($290.80 x 26 = $7,560.80).

There's the difference. Using the monthly mortgage payment plan, you've made a total of $6,979.20 worth of payments for the year, while using the accelerated bi-weekly mortgage plan you've made $7,560.80 worth of payments, a difference of $581.60. Basically with accelerated bi-weekly mortgage payments, you're making one additional monthly payment in the year.

Using this example, you would reduce the amortization on your $100,000 mortgage from 25 years to just over 21 years and a total savings on interest, over the life of the mortgage, to just over $12,000.

If you can possibly find a way to make accelerated bi-weekly mortgage payments, do it! You'll thank yourself later.

Looking for more information on accelerated bi-weekly mortgage payments? "

If you opt for 'Accelerated weekly' it reduces the term to 19 years and change.

I went this way, and payed off my mortgage in 14 years 11 months on an original 25 year amortization, with some additional mortgage pay down applied in addition to the gains from making accelerated weekly payments.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that I am very surprised by that figure. I fail to see how the amortization period would reduce by more than a third simply by making (in essence) one extra monthly payment each year.

Now, if the original amortization period was 50 years, as opposed to 25, I might be convinced!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

I pay my mortgage accelerated weekly (I get paid semi-monthly) paying every Friday is actually quite easy as it's not a big sum every week I don't really notice it like I would with one or two big chunks coming out every month and paying accelerated lets me pay it off quicker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.