Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

More Vancouver trip/recce planning help, please!

More Vancouver trip/recce planning help, please!

Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all
Default More Vancouver trip/recce planning help, please!

Eh bah gum and all that...

I've been looking into going to Vancouver for a couple of weeks (maybe one week in the city, one in the mountains/rural area) next year, probably September as this will give us plenty of time to save.

I'm finding it hard though to find cheap flight times - although I'm guessing that September will still be just high season.

And I'm finding accommodation costs eye watering... There's just the two of us looking for self catering within easy reach of downtown.
Can anyone recommend somewhere that isn't really expensive yet still nice?

Have seen a few places around Kitsilano Beach - but I haven't got my mental map fo the city right enough yet to gauge how far out this actually is.
(Toronto by comparison was easy peasy to hold in my head while looking for accommodation!).

Is Vancouver generally more expensive, would you say, than Toronto to stay/exist for a couple of weeks?
I know that the flights are more expensive because it's further, so fair play. But the accommodation seems MUCH more pricey...

Also, are there any really good events listings type sites that are away from your normal tourist rabble rousers?

And which are the dodgy-don't-go-out-at-night areas?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all
Default Re: More Vancouver trip/recce planning help, please!

Oh and it seems to be mostly B&Bs rather than self catering suites/small apartments.

Or am I just looking in the wrong place?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:16 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We were touring the Vancouver area this September and found that the hotel prices seem to drop quite drastically around the 1st October. Perhaps you might want to push back your dates a bit to take advantage of this.

Prices are also more reasonable if you stay a little further out e.g. we stayed in a hotel close to the Capilano Suspension bridge rather than downtown - there's a few hotels there plus its on a bus route into downtown. Others on here will know of other areas such as this.

Are you a member of the UK AA at all? Some of the hotels do some money off if you are, or you might get a free breakfast or something like that.

Also, keep an eye out for scheduled airline (AC and BA) seats sales any time between now and early in the new year, particularly for October/November 2010. If you can get a return fare with either of these to Vancouver around the 450 quid range then you have done well. The charters may be a bit cheaper if you're not too fussy about who you fly with.

The official tourist office website is pretty good for events and they sent my in laws a great booklet with all the attractions in so they could plan what they wanted to see before arriving.

Happy travels!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:59 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache
Eh bah gum and all that...

I've been looking into going to Vancouver for a couple of weeks (maybe one week in the city, one in the mountains/rural area) next year, probably September as this will give us plenty of time to save.

I'm finding it hard though to find cheap flight times - although I'm guessing that September will still be just high season.

And I'm finding accommodation costs eye watering... There's just the two of us looking for self catering within easy reach of downtown.

Have seen a few places around Kitsilano Beach - but I haven't got my mental map fo the city right enough yet to gauge how far out this actually is.
(Toronto by comparison was easy peasy to hold in my head while looking for accommodation!).

Is Vancouver generally more expensive, would you say, than Toronto to stay/exist for a couple of weeks?
I know that the flights are more expensive because it's further, so fair play. But the accommodation seems MUCH more pricey...

Also, are there any really good events listings type sites that are away from your normal tourist rabble rousers?

Thanks!
My mother always stays at the Sandman Suites on Davie - they are really neat little apartment type places with seperate bedroom and fully equipped kitchen and washer and dryer., There are also supermarkets within a block of the hotel. The are is Davie Villlage which is the city's gay area, but you would hardly notice - my mother didn't! There are a couple of clubs and bars otherwise no one cares and its not a predominately gay area at all - not that there's anything wrong with that Very well located right in the centre of the city.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Columbia.html

There aren't any bad areas on the west side of the city, but I would avoid teh Granville Mall area downtown - usual array of bars and clubs and the idiots that come along with them - its very self contained and easy to avoid - avoid any hotels around there.

I live in Kitsilano and it is definately doable to downtown and the area has its own charm, tons of bars and restaurants, little sea taxis can take you across the water and is right on the best beaches. Count on a good 15 mins to get down town with public transit or a 6 min cab ride for under 10 bucks. Close to granville island.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
My mother always stays at the Sandman Suites on Davie - they are really neat little apartment type places with seperate bedroom and fully equipped kitchen and washer and dryer., There are also supermarkets within a block of the hotel. The are is Davie Villlage which is the city's gay area, but you would hardly notice - my mother didn't! There are a couple of clubs and bars otherwise no one cares and its not a predominately gay area at all - not that there's anything wrong with that Very well located right in the centre of the city.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Columbia.html

There aren't any bad areas on the west side of the city, but I would avoid teh Granville Mall area downtown - usual array of bars and clubs and the idiots that come along with them - its very self contained and easy to avoid - avoid any hotels around there.

I live in Kitsilano and it is definately doable to downtown and the area has its own charm, tons of bars and restaurants, little sea taxis can take you across the water and is right on the best beaches. Count on a good 15 mins to get down town with public transit or a 6 min cab ride for under 10 bucks. Close to granville island.
I'd stay in the westend - it's a good area that is very close to everything whilst still being relatively affordable. I agree that kits is also very is nice, but a bit on the residential side for a holiday stay imo (though I know some people will see that as a plus).
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:23 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'd stay in the westend - it's a good area that is very close to everything whilst still being relatively affordable. I agree that kits is also very is nice, but a bit on the residential side for a holiday stay imo (though I know some people will see that as a plus).
Yes I agree (Sandman suites are in the West End). There are a few bed and breakfasts kicking around, but I imagine they will book up fast.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:26 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed in a private room at HI Vancouver Central hostel on Granville during one recce. Noisy but cheap. HI Vancouver Downtown (close to Davie) is said to be the nicer hostel but books up fast so you'd be advised to book well in advance. YWCA hotel in Vancouver was also been recommended to us by friends but we didn't actually try it. Rates used to be pretty reasonable, depending on length of stay.

A friend from Toronto visited us in Vancouver. She commented that she thought Vancouver was far more expensive than Toronto for a visitor. In fact she thought it was as expensive as the UK (she lived in the UK when the pound was riding high in the early 2000s). HST will probably not improve the situation.

Google East Hastings