British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Money slang (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/money-slang-895154/)

Beckie and Morgan UK Apr 9th 2017 5:56 am

Money slang

Had to laugh....waiting in the queue at the grocery store and the guy in front was a Brit...he goes to pay and says "Oh I'll just get rid of some of this shrapnel" lady looks at him and says "pardon me" he realises what he's said and he looks at me and I laugh! I wonder how many old sayings I come out with that no one has a clue about!

Oink Apr 9th 2017 8:16 am

Re: Money slang

Originally Posted by Beckie and Morgan UK (Post 12224773)
Had to laugh....waiting in the queue at the grocery store and the guy in front was a Brit...he goes to pay and says "Oh I'll just get rid of some of this shrapnel" lady looks at him and says "pardon me" he realises what he's said and he looks at me and I laugh! I wonder how many old sayings I come out with that no one has a clue about!

They seem to understand when you say it with enough menace.

bats Apr 9th 2017 1:51 pm

Shrapnel? Not heard that one before.

mikelincs Apr 9th 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12225033)

Used in most parts of the UK to describe the small denomination coins, usually the copper ones, and by Brits all over the Eurozone to describe the millions of copped cents, that just get everywhere.

Novocastrian Apr 9th 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12225037)
Used in most parts of the UK* to describe the small denomination coins, usually the copper ones, and by Brits all over the Eurozone to describe the millions of copped cents, that just get everywhere.

*in the 1950s.

BristolUK Apr 9th 2017 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12225033)

Nor me.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12225040)
*in the 1950s.

I wasn't around for much of the 50s so maybe that explains why I don't know it. :unsure:

dave_j Apr 9th 2017 3:54 pm

I was around in the 50's and I've not used it before. Nevertheless I would have understood what he meant by the phrase in this context. Extending the meaning of shrapnel to a collection of loose metal coins shouldn't have resulted in a blank face.

BristolUK Apr 9th 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12225076)
I was around in the 50's and I've not used it before. Nevertheless I would have understood what he meant by the phrase in this context. Extending the meaning of shrapnel to a collection of loose metal coins shouldn't have resulted in a blank face.

What about younger people for whom 'shrapnel' has no meaning regardless of context? There must be some who grew up after war movies stopped playing on TV as regularly as in my day. :nod:

Make some comment about the American GI having his helmet straps dangling as he smokes a last cigarette and the knowing look you get from someone over 50 will likely be a blank look from someone under 40 :lol:

Novocastrian Apr 9th 2017 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12225076)

How do you suppose that a Canadian in 2017 would realise that the shopper's reference was to a collection of loose change?

dbd33 Apr 9th 2017 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12225104)
How do you suppose that a Canadian in 2017 would realise that the shopper's reference was to a collection of loose change?

Depends where the "Canadian" came from. I shouldn't think that a huge stretch for Canadians originally from the middle east.

Last week I proposed walking around to the front of the building, rather than walking in through the loading dock, "ooh, the half crown entrance" said my colleague. Now that would be a challenge for a Canadian to unscramble.

Novocastrian Apr 9th 2017 4:43 pm

But since the thread is titled "money slang", we, as children in Newcastle in the 1950s, used to call a threepenny bit a "lurgy". Threepenny was pronounced threpenny and the 12 sided coin was worth roughly the same as the new 12-sided pound coin is worth today.

dbd33 Apr 9th 2017 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12225107)
But since the thread is titled "money slang", we, as children in Newcastle in the 1950s, used to call a threepenny bit a "lurgy". Threepenny was pronounced threpenny and the 12 sided coin was worth roughly the same as the new 12-sided pound coin is worth today.

A thrupnee bit, you mean, half a tanner?

Novocastrian Apr 9th 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12225106)
Depends where the "Canadian" came from. I shouldn't think that a huge stretch for Canadians originally from the middle east.

Last week I proposed walking around to the front of the building, rather than walking in through the loading dock, "ooh, the half crown entrance" said my colleague. Now that would be a challenge for a Canadian to unscramble.

Quite.

Novocastrian Apr 9th 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12225109)

...in turn, half a bob.

I think we're on safer grounds here. Even BristolUK remembers bob.

dave_j Apr 9th 2017 5:10 pm

Perhaps the word shrapnel isn't in common use in Canada but it should be understood with so many wars being so well publicised. I have never been in the forces or engaged in conflict, but I know what the word means.
Extending it's use to describe any collection of small metal objects in this context probably brought about an instant of misunderstanding, but I suspect that given a few more seconds the assistant would have understood completely.

Souvy Apr 9th 2017 6:13 pm

So, a full tanner could be called "knockers", given that it's two thrupnees?

BristolUK Apr 9th 2017 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12225119)
...in turn, half a bob.

I think we're on safer grounds here. Even BristolUK remembers bob.

I remember farthings but only in terms of 4 mojos, blackjacks or fruit salads for a penny. Or 2 for a ha'penny.

I vaguely recall a tanner also being a kick.

jennellapea Apr 9th 2017 6:43 pm

I was born in the late 80's and I've heard people say it.

Maybe it's a North West / Lancashire thing. Pretty sure my Grandad used to say it too.

bats Apr 9th 2017 7:42 pm

I was born in the 50s, but then we didn't use slang in our house. ;)

Later on I moved to the wicked city and learned such terms as: Folding, dosh, wonga, mulla, shekels.

mikelincs Apr 9th 2017 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12225158)
I remember farthings but only in terms of 4 mojos, blackjacks or fruit salads for a penny. Or 2 for a ha'penny.

I vaguely recall a tanner also being a kick.

Yes, half a crown being 2 and a kick.

dave_j Apr 9th 2017 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12225210)
Yes, half a crown being 2 and a kick.

.. and an oxford scholar.. dollar.. five shillings

caretaker Apr 9th 2017 9:35 pm

If this happened in front of the cashier and the shopper was jingling coins in his pocket while he said it, you mean?

bats Apr 9th 2017 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12225249)
If this happened in front of the cashier and the shopper was jingling coins in his pocket while he said it, you mean?

It's best not to pay too much attention to men "jingling coins" in their pockets.

dbd33 Apr 10th 2017 12:14 am

Perhaps this is the thread to retell the tale of the Young American. We sent the Young American to London for work. Before doing so we taught him the currency, twenty shillings to the pound, twelve pennies to the shilling and so on. We taught him all the slang terms and loaded him up with ten bob notes and florins and all the rest of it. Being a computer bod and a mathematician he was fascinated to see how people dealt with things costing amounts like ten and sixpence three farthings in day-to-day transactions.

I don't remember what year it was but it was this century so he was able to call me from the Gatwick train, on which he had tried to buy a beer in shillings, to explain that he knew I knew about decimalisation. People think Americans can't take a joke and don't know how to swear, they're wrong.

Tootlepootle Apr 10th 2017 2:43 am

Originally Posted by jennellapea (Post 12225162)
I was born in the late 80's and I've heard people say it.

Maybe it's a North West / Lancashire thing. Pretty sure my Grandad used to say it too.

I was born in the 70s in Shropshire and its a phrase used in our house!!

mikelincs Apr 10th 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12225304)
It's best not to pay too much attention to men "jingling coins" in their pockets.

Pocket billiards anyone? :rofl:

haggis88 Apr 10th 2017 9:23 am

Shrapnel for change is common usage where I'm from in Scotland...

I've also heard it described as "smush"

Hurlabrick Apr 10th 2017 9:41 am

I have heard the term 'shrapnel' occasionally and use it myself in the UK. While hardly an everyday term, people do still use it.

BristolUK Apr 10th 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12225308)
Perhaps this is the thread to retell the tale of the Young American....People think Americans can't take a joke and don't know how to swear, they're wrong.

As I began reading that it suddenly occurred to me I wasn't sure I ever read you saying how it turned out. Now I know. :lol:

Gordon Barlow Apr 10th 2017 4:14 pm

I've always called small change "church money". I can't remember where it came from - maybe my Australian grandmother. People who have never heard it used before always understand what it is. Especially church-goers, I expect.

Novocastrian Apr 10th 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12225968)
I've always called small change "church money". I can't remember where it came from - maybe my Australian grandmother. People who have never heard it used before always understand what it is. Especially church-goers, I expect.

Well, as you could also expect, I've always called 10% of my after tax income "tythe".

Paul_Shepherd Apr 10th 2017 4:21 pm

We have a "beer pool" weekly draw in our office. There are 20 members and we all have our own number, between 1 and 20. We all put in 2 dollars every week. A draw is made from a bag containing the numbers 1 - 20 on them. The number drawn wins the pot of money for the week - which must be spent on beer.

Now....when we go around collecting the 2 dollars from each person before the draw, the term shrapnel is commonly used as some who havent won it for a while have a bitter and twisted attitude and say "oh you can have all this sharpnel as im not going to win it anyway!!" and put in 2 dollars worth of dimes and nickels - we even call the one guy the shrapnel king! To be fair he hasnt won many times so hes all bitter about the whole thing now! Lol!!

Im not sure if they knew the shrapnel term before, maybe they got it from me. :thumbup:

adele Apr 10th 2017 4:30 pm

Shrapnel is a term used by our family, passed down from grandparents, to parents, to us.

Souvy Apr 10th 2017 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12225976)
Well, as you could also expect, I've always called 10% of my after tax income "tythe".

I use a simpler word.

Shoes.

Seriously, how many pairs of footwear does a woman really need?

bats Apr 10th 2017 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12226192)
I use a simpler word.

Shoes.

Seriously, how many pairs of footwear does a woman really need?

Not many. Some winter boots for walking, some winter boots for everyday, some sandals for summer, muckers for gardening, walking shoes, swimming shoes, running shoes, posh shoes for daytime, posh shoes for nighttime, slippers of course. Driving shoes come in handy too.

Souvy Apr 10th 2017 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12226258)
Not many. Some winter boots for walking, some winter boots for everyday, some sandals for summer, muckers for gardening, walking shoes, swimming shoes, running shoes, posh shoes for daytime, posh shoes for nighttime, slippers of course. Driving shoes come in handy too.

You are not really telling us everything, are you?

My male sixth-sense tells me that you have more pairs of footwear than that.

And want more.

bats Apr 10th 2017 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12226273)
You are not really telling us everything, are you?

My male sixth-sense tells me that you have more pairs of footwear than that.

And want more.

Ackshally, shoes don't do it for me and as I never go anywhere I don't need many. I have one pair of boots, a couple of pairs of Sketchers, Birkenstocks, and gardening shoes. That's it.

However I do like a nice handbag or two.

scrubbedexpat133 Apr 13th 2017 6:48 pm

I have always used Shrapnel. I worked in a Pub when I was younger, an elderly Gentleman ordered a pint, as I was pouring it he started to count out a handful of change. I said to him that I was grateful for the Shrapnel as the till was short of change and the manager wont be back for an hour or so. He smiled and pulled out his driving license......His name was Mr Shrapnel :D