Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone options...

Mobile phone options...

Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mobile phone options...

Ok, so what would you advise? It seems that you don't get locked into a contract if you go with some company called Wind or Mobilcity? They have a deal on for $29 p/m unlimited txt, local calls, internet - month by month. Is that a good deal? Or would you recommend a pre-pay sort of plan?

I just got here (Vancouver) and trying to figure the best option, even still, seems better than anything they offered back in New Zealand...
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone options...

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Ok, so what would you advise? It seems that you don't get locked into a contract if you go with some company called Wind or Mobilcity? They have a deal on for $29 p/m unlimited txt, local calls, internet - month by month. Is that a good deal? Or would you recommend a pre-pay sort of plan?

I just got here (Vancouver) and trying to figure the best option, even still, seems better than anything they offered back in New Zealand...
they are relatively new players. check out what coverage they have and what they consider a local area. Telus, Rogers and Bell have the larger networks. You could also look at Koodo (Telus) with their 'Tab' plans. My kids use this and we're going with Telus for our new contract. .
Old Aug 11th 2012, 3:10 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Most companies have prepaid. I would go that route first just to see how much you owe at the end of the first billing cycle, then chose a plan if you think you can save money that way.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

the price is awesome....but I would do more research..........on

coverage!!!

check the small print on the internet.....it might mean unlimited browsing/socialing....which isn't the same as unlimited data, some phone company's say its unlimited.....but still limit to 2 gig, then slow ya speeds down so its impossible to use....

check how long the contract is for....and is it $29 for the whole contract legnth or does it go up after the first 6 months/1 year......

unlimited local calls isn't worth anything...cos it doesn't cost anything to make local calls from your home phone.....so check how much a call is when its not local....and wot area's is covered by local....I lice in Ontario...and I can call 3 area's of Michigan as part of my local calls plan!!

and cost of phone!!!

I would also google Wind or Mobilcity to see wot people have to say about them!!!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a landline with the right cellphone plan. Sis in Surrey got rid of the home phone years ago, me too!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers everyone for your advice! Yeah I thought it was a good deal too, but I'll check out the fine detail as you suggest... I don't have a landline where I'm staying, so I really need a mobile even for local calls.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
check how long the contract is for....and is it $29 for the whole contract legnth or does it go up after the first 6 months/1 year......
good point! I didn't think about that... They say the phone is included (free), or after six months I can purchase it for about $100, that's for one of those Nokia smartphone's which seems awfully cheap to me. But maybe it's that cheap because they bump the montly rate up so thanks for your comment, I'll check it out