Mini-dachshunds (BC)

Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mini-dachshunds (BC)

I am looking into getting a dog as we are transferring apartments within the complex to a pet friendly unit.

I had a mini-dachshund when I was married to the ex-wife and I really liked the personality of the breed, and the small size, but not too small, and smart.

I am looking into adopting but contacting a few rescues, they have not been pleasant to deal with and discriminate against people with apartments even though the breed is small, and perfectly suited to an apartment, but whatever.

I was originally going to adopt as I didn't want to contribute to breeders and well there are a lot in needing of adopting who have no homes, but rescues are just too difficult and not worth the time.

I don't want to use a pet store and those are guaranteed to be puppy mill dogs regardless of what the store says.

I haven't really had much luck finding a reputable breeder though, I've used google, and it brings up US breeders, I always have issues with google and finding Canadian content and sites, always defaults to US websites.

Anyone have a dog and where did you get yours? (curiosity question.) I checke the SPCA as well, and they don't seem to have anything not mixed with a pit bull, or another large breed which isn't suitable for apartments.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mini-dachshunds (BC)

We flew ours over from UK but I have a friend who shows dogs who has just gotten a mini dachshund from a breeder so I can ask her where the breeder is if you like? We are in AB but I know she will travel to BC to get her dogs so it might be she got it from there.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
We flew ours over from UK but I have a friend who shows dogs who has just gotten a mini dachshund from a breeder so I can ask her where the breeder is if you like? We are in AB but I know she will travel to BC to get her dogs so it might be she got it from there.
Yes, that would be good. We are willing to travel within BC and even Alberta if we find the right breeder and dog.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Breeder Directory | The Miniature Dachshund Club of British Columbia
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Just keep contacting the rescues. Animal rights type people can be a pain to deal with (holier than thou attitude), but just make up a story like you're moving to a house next year, and try to be friendly and familiar to them. I can't imagine all the abandoned dogs go to homes, and they will eventually prefer getting the dog to a committed owner rather than destroying it.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Dont they pee a lot indoors? daschunds? tricky to train? I know one and she's really cute but the peeing would annoy me.

Dachshund Behavior Problems | ThriftyFun

PS, You've mentioned yours and your girlfriends health problems, I wonder if either of you would be eligible for a helper dog?
Old Jan 4th 2015, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
Dont they pee a lot indoors? daschunds? tricky to train? I know one and she's really cute but the peeing would annoy me.

Dachshund Behavior Problems | ThriftyFun

PS, You've mentioned yours and your girlfriends health problems, I wonder if either of you would be eligible for a helper dog?
They can be, but I learned how to deal with their stubborn personality with my last little guy. He wasn't hard to train, just needed some patience. Other then when he was really young, he never had accidents inside and always let us know if he wanted out and I took him out every 1-2 hours during the day.

Patience in the trick to the breed, a lot of people with them don't have patience required or don't read up on the breed before getting one, and just think all dogs are the same, when each breed as their own qualities.

Similar to my GF's sister who got a border collie yet lives in a town home with no yard, and complains that the dog is too hyper, and I am always thinking well not S**t it's a border collie with no yard to burn energy in.

I looked into service dog as my girlfriend would qualify, but the red tape involved is confusing, and we don't need a service trained dog, we just want a companion.

I am also going to look into other small breeds, but small breeds seem to either get dumped less, or find homes quicker, as the SPCA has only large breeds for the most part. I checked the entire province, as the local unit doesn't have dogs generally. There was dog that caught my interest in Vernon, but he has issues being left alone, so not suitable for an apartment.

One reason I want to rescue as well vs puppy as their personality is more known, and how much they are trained and know, and while puppies are cute they are a lot of work, and I prefer getting a young adult who needs a home.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 6:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They can be, but I learned how to deal with their stubborn personality with my last little guy. He wasn't hard to train, just needed some patience. Other then when he was really young, he never had accidents inside and always let us know if he wanted out and I took him out every 1-2 hours during the day.

Patience in the trick to the breed, a lot of people with them don't have patience required or don't read up on the breed before getting one, and just think all dogs are the same, when each breed as their own qualities.

Similar to my GF's sister who got a border collie yet lives in a town home with no yard, and complains that the dog is too hyper, and I am always thinking well not S**t it's a border collie with no yard to burn energy in.

I looked into service dog as my girlfriend would qualify, but the red tape involved is confusing, and we don't need a service trained dog, we just want a companion.

I am also going to look into other small breeds, but small breeds seem to either get dumped less, or find homes quicker, as the SPCA has only large breeds for the most part. I checked the entire province, as the local unit doesn't have dogs generally. There was dog that caught my interest in Vernon, but he has issues being left alone, so not suitable for an apartment.

One reason I want to rescue as well vs puppy as their personality is more known, and how much they are trained and know, and while puppies are cute they are a lot of work, and I prefer getting a young adult who needs a home.
I hope you find one, i'm sure you'll be a great dog owner.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 6:21 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

We got our dog from a breeder because we don't have a fenced yard so the SPCA wouldn't consider us for rescue. Good ways to find a reputable breeder are via breed specific forums or dog shows. Some breeders can be pretty choosy too, and it can help if you have previous experience of the breed.

Some breeders may have older dogs so it's worth asking them. Sometimes they get dogs returned if an owners circumstances change, and other times they have dogs they considered showing or kept for breeding and are looking to retire.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cxx
We got our dog from a breeder because we don't have a fenced yard so the SPCA wouldn't consider us for rescue. Good ways to find a reputable breeder are via breed specific forums or dog shows. Some breeders can be pretty choosy too, and it can help if you have previous experience of the breed.

Some breeders may have older dogs so it's worth asking them. Sometimes they get dogs returned if an owners circumstances change, and other times they have dogs they considered showing or kept for breeding and are looking to retire.
I have emailed a few breeders, not many in BC from what I can find, but I also emailed a couple in Washington since it's close by and not hard to bring a dog across from the US although ideally, I'd prefer a dog from BC.

I am wary of buying from a far off breeder in another province as I would really like to meet the dog first, I've never gotten a dog simply off photos or however breeders sell, it's a confusing process since the last time I had a dog..

And to think when I was a kid, all my parents had to do to get a dog was go to a parking lot like Target and someone would be selling dogs, although I am glad we don't have the high amount of backyard breeders anymore, so I can;t complain about that, rather have it harder to get a dog, then to have so many homeless pets.

If cats didn't insist on using a cat box indoors, I'd consider a cat, but I hate cat boxes with a passion since there is never a far off hidden place for one, so its always in the open, or in the bathroom in the way.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 4th 2015 at 6:32 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 6:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If you go be a volunteer dog walker for the local SPCA they'll get to know you and you may be able to get a hand with aquiring a rescue from another shelter. Since they have this bias against adopting to apartment dwellers you may be able to do something about it by meeting them halfway. Get on their good side and they may even put out the word for their colleagues to watch for a weiner dog. Breeders for the show market concentrate on physical conformation so much that for personality and standard traits of many breeds you may well be better off with a rescue dog anyway (imo).
Old Jan 5th 2015, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Can you PM me and I will send you the info? thanks
Old Jan 5th 2015, 1:09 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the city animal control shelters? Surrey and Vancouver animal shelters seem to get a lot of dogs through their doors, including smaller breeds (and often older, calmer dogs) and I dare say there'll be an uptick in about a month, sadly.

Do keep an eye on the SPCA shelters too. When we got our current pup there were quite a few smaller dogs looking for homes - West Van and Victoria in particular iirc.

We're on our second rescue dog and have been very happy with our decisions.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 1:18 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx

BC SPCA did not have a problem with us not having a fenced yard when we got our dog last year. Maybe it depends on the type and your plans for the dog? Ours is a border collie cross with possibly husky and who knows what else thrown in. She doesn't go outside without one of us, and is generally only off-leash when training in an appropriately enclosed area, so not having our own fenced yard seemed to be a moot point.

Last edited by acer rose; Jan 5th 2015 at 1:20 am. Reason: 2015 now, dammit
Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:11 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our daschund with us, a great breed, great personalitys and stubborn to boot.

We are not sure of the adoptions rules but would recommend contacting Thank Dog I Am Out (Thank Dog I Am Out | Dog Rescue - Dog Adoption, Dog Rescue, Animal Shelter) - you can fill out an adoption application online. They also do cross border rescues and will have one in February where they pick up dogs from California and fly them up here/Seattle.

The other one is Dachshund Rescue Team in Abbotsford (Dachshund Rescue Team - Home).
If willing to cross the border there is also a daschund rescue in Spokane, WA. (Dachshund Rescue NW & Dachshund Club of Spokane)

They are all on Facebook too and post photos of the dogs up for adoption.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.