Milk first or last?

Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Milk first or last?

As the bishop said to the actress...
Originally Posted by daft batty
you may have enjoyed it, but you shouldnt have done it!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
When making tea that is. Do you add the milk to the tea? Or the tea to the milk? Whats correct? Why does it matter?

OM, of course it matters. If you add the milk before the tea is strong enough (brewed properly), it will never reach the correct strength. Milk will lessen the heat of the boiling water.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
OM, of course it matters. If you add the milk before the tea is strong enough (brewed properly), it will never reach the correct strength. Milk will lessen the heat of the boiling water.
are you talking mugs and teabags here?? or teapots, cos obviously you dont add milk to the teapot and since you only pour the tea once its brewed then the temperature and strength thing has already happened.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

are you talking mugs and teabags here?? or teapots, cos obviously you dont add milk to the teapot and since you only pour the tea once its brewed then the temperature and strength thing has already happened.
That depends if your posh and brew up in a tea pot or your a heathen and brew up in the mug
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
That depends if your posh and brew up in a tea pot or your a heathen and brew up in the mug
Surely one should train one's butler to do both simultaneously - milk jug in one hand, teapot in the other. Impresses the guests no end.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Marble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant future

It says in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy NOT to use boiling water as it 'scalds' the tea.
Not that HGTTG is a bible of any sort to me...honest.

I use boiling water and get the tea to the right colour, add sugar as it will dissolve better in the hot water, then milk.

(I'm guessing you probably can't get PG Tips over there as well. Something else on the 'survival' list.)

edit: heathen and proud.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
so then you have to do the milk after thing. but i do it the wrong way when i make MOH tea and he doesnt notice
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

so then you have to do the milk after thing. but i do it the wrong way when i make MOH tea and he doesnt notice
I'm with Oakvillian on this one. When I were a lad the pater and mater referred to the peasants in the village as "Milk in first" people. With disapproval if I remember correctly.

I think Jonathon Swift wrote a science fiction novel on a similar theme.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 20th 2007 at 2:23 am.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm with Oakvillian on this one. When I were a lad the pater and mater referred to the peasants in the village as "Milk in first" people. With disapproval if I remember correctly.

I think Jonathon Swift wrote a science fiction novel on a similar theme.
one would never put milk in first in public of course. I only do it cos i put the milk in first in my coffee so its easier to put the milk in the tea first. Laziness and I dont have to drink the stuff so I dont care.

PS
I thought all were peasants in Newcastle?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

PS
I thought all were peasants in Newcastle?
All except near and dear family.

<I almost forgot that you're a bleedin' mackem>
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
All except near and dear family.

<I almost forgot that you're a bleedin' mackem>
no, not me, murtons miles from sunderland. I like to think of myself as a dunelmian ..
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:44 am
Born again atheist

no, not me, murtons miles from sunderland. I like to think of myself as a dunelmian ..
Old Dunelmians would know not to put the milk in first. Especially in private.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:54 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
Seems like there's nothing like a food post to get people talking
Since your adoption of that delightful avatar, you've been a walking food post, regardless of the topic.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:02 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marble
It says in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy NOT to use boiling water as it 'scalds' the tea.
Not that HGTTG is a bible of any sort to me...honest.

I use boiling water and get the tea to the right colour, add sugar as it will dissolve better in the hot water, then milk.

(I'm guessing you probably can't get PG Tips over there as well. Something else on the 'survival' list.)

edit: heathen and proud.
What's wrong with Tetley's? Miss Etiquette used to say milk first then tea, but I always do tea first then milk. It doesn't take right if you pour the hot tea (if made in a pot) onto the milk. And if, like me, you mostly brew with a teabag in a mug, then you have to add milk last. I only make a pot of tea when there's more than 2 of us. Heathen, I know. Quite often I don't bother with milk though, unless the tea is really strong.

Boy, the intellectual conversations we have on here, LOL!!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 5:21 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

After years of importing tea from blighty, I have now been converted to Roiboos herbal tea.
Tastes & looks much like 'English Tea', but no caffeine or tannin and high in anti oxidants. No milk required, so no dairy allergy problems.
Apparently it is so good for you, I am going to be around for a long time, which delighted my kids, as I plan on living with them in my very old age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.