British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   milk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/milk-883809/)

Pizzawheel Sep 25th 2016 6:34 pm

milk

There's something very not right with the stuff here.

I found a carton of the usual 2% labelled with a guys name in the fridge at work; I recognised he'd transferred to my old office before I'd moved to this one in May. I verified it was indeed his.

At arms length I went to pour the putrid mess away... only to find a clear liquid come out, then a block of jelly like white matter. No smell or trace of decay.

Milk never did that in the old days; after 2 months it'd be playing chess. What are they feeding us?

BristolUK Sep 25th 2016 6:40 pm

Re: milk

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 12061300)
Milk never did that in the old days; after 2 months it'd be playing chess.

Playing chess? Do you mean it would come out in lumpy bits as if chess pieces had fallen and came out covered in sticky cream?

magnumpi Sep 25th 2016 7:28 pm

Milk has such longevity here, when a carton of milk would go off in a few days in England the same carton lasts over a week here, very odd indeed

not2old Sep 25th 2016 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12061336)
Milk has such longevity here, when a carton of milk would go off in a few days in England the same carton lasts over a week here, very odd indeed

thats a load of crock

In the UK the UHT milk that is commonly sold these days can last up to several months

As for the OP post 'milk in the fridge', the watery stuff is the same as how cheese is made, the liquid is syphoned off. You had cheese in that carton without knowing it;)

Pizzawheel Sep 26th 2016 1:27 am

No. I meant it had sufficient IQ to master the game of chess. Ie, smarter than me so double figures at least.

UHT isn't the norm in Britain still, though I think it might be on the continent. Even then it may last forever unopened, once you let air in it was 2-3 days and done.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12061305)
Playing chess? Do you mean it would come out in lumpy bits as if chess pieces had fallen and came out covered in sticky cream?

Photoplex Sep 26th 2016 2:23 pm

The same with bread. Back in the UK, a load would last maybe a week before you'd see the mould start to grow on it.

Here, it seems like bread can sit around for weeks and still be mould free...

Oink Sep 26th 2016 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 12061887)
The same with bread. Back in the UK, a load would last maybe a week before you'd see the mould start to grow on it.

Here, it seems like bread can sit around for weeks and still be mould free...

You must be getting better or worse bread depending on your perspective. Ours gets black fuzzy stuff on it after about four or five days. :(

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 26th 2016 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12062183)
You must be getting better or worse bread depending on your perspective. Ours gets black fuzzy stuff on it after about four or five days. :(

If you avoid the big brand breads they sell and stick with the baked in store or go to a bakery for fresh baked, I agree 3-5 days tops before mold starts.

I never buy the branded bread, it costs more, & isn't as good.

Pizzawheel Sep 26th 2016 9:33 pm

And that's the pure organic hand woven hipster stuff... :eek:

Photoplex Sep 26th 2016 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12062185)
If you avoid the big brand breads they sell and stick with the baked in store or go to a bakery for fresh baked, I agree 3-5 days tops before mold starts.

I never buy the branded bread, it costs more, & isn't as good.

We always buy the in-store baked own brand bread.

Maybe it's because we started storing it in the fridge, and back in the UK it was always in a breadbin... Still, always surprises me.

Pizzawheel Sep 26th 2016 9:35 pm

I recall reading that you shouldn't store bread in the fridge... googling came up with this

Keeping bread cold certainly retards mold growth, but according to Wayne Gisslen, author of Professional Baking, refrigerating sliced bread (or any bread for that matter) makes it go stale faster. Six times faster, in fact, than a loaf kept out at room temp.Apr 15, 2014

BristolUK Sep 26th 2016 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 12062236)
I recall reading that you shouldn't store bread in the fridge... googling came up with this

But still good for toast :thumbup:

Photoplex Sep 26th 2016 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 12062236)

That's interesting, but it's all swings and roundabouts really.

I find it starts going a little stale about 4-5 days in the fridge, after which it is still good for toasting.

Reading above, it would appear outside the fridge it goes mouldy in 4-5 days anyway, after which it's good for nothing!

BristolUK Sep 26th 2016 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 12062255)
Reading above, it would appear outside the fridge it goes mouldy in 4-5 days anyway, after which it's good for nothing!

Unless you want to make a sandwich for someone you don't like.

Photoplex Sep 26th 2016 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12062276)
Unless you want to make a sandwich for someone you don't like.

That, and the birds I guess...