Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Mid Life Crisis Question

Mid Life Crisis Question

Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:01 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mid Life Crisis Question

As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a primatologist studying baboons in Africa. Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey and Birute Galdikas were my idols. Reality? I'm an anthropologist working as a stock trader and property investor (makes sense don't it? ). Outcome - not totally satisfying -- and thinking of stepping into professional fund raising for conservation organizations and/or something to do with enviro-friendly landscaping (I have a weird and very intense passion for composting).

Save a primate - boycot palm oil.

Next?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mid Life Crisis Question

Always knew that I would be working outdoors in some capacity. There were so many options that it was difficult to decide on my eventual profession which is marine biology until I visited botanical beach a number of times over the summer during high school. Decided to enrol in marine biology at UBC and have never looked back. Fundraising, volunteering and working in my professional capacity with many environmental organizations to help achieve their goals!

I love every aspect of my job and cant imagine working in any other field.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Always knew that I would be working outdoors in some capacity. There were so many options that it was difficult to decide on my eventual profession which is marine biology until I visited botanical beach a number of times over the summer during high school. Decided to enrol in marine biology at UBC and have never looked back. Fundraising, volunteering and working in my professional capacity with many environmental organizations to help achieve their goals!

This is a really great idea ro! I love threads like this!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:12 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a primatologist studying baboons in Africa. Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey and Birute Galdikas were my idols. Reality? I'm an anthropologist working as a stock trader and property investor (makes sense don't it? ). Outcome - not totally satisfying -- and thinking of stepping into professional fund raising for conservation organizations and/or something to do with enviro-friendly landscaping (I have a weird and very intense passion for composting).

Save a primate - boycot palm oil.

Next?
How many choices am I allowed?

I REALLY wanted to be a vet and own a combined Horse and Dog breeding Facility. ( I didnt want to sell them just breed them ).

Reality? Well I'm not doing that anyway.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:32 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to be The Six Million Dollar Man...
Reality - I'm a computer programmer
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bleech
I wanted to be The Six Million Dollar Man...
Reality - I'm a computer programmer

but the most important question....are you an apple programmer?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:39 am

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
but the most important question....are you an apple programmer?
I have been in the past, but fraid mostly PC
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to be a car breaker, a wrecker as they call them here. I was completely urban and had neither interest in, nor exposure to, animals.

I suppose one could say I had a mid-life crisis, a long term relationship had just ended and, rather than sit staring at the lack of furniture, I bought a reliable convertible and drove to California in it with my veggie daughter. Along the way I took up with the Young American Lover who then moved here, bringing rather more furniture than I thought I'd ever see.

We now have a dog, a cat and a two compost heaps. We also have the use of six horses in exchange for maintaining their barn, fussing over their injuries, and generally doing the sort of thing for which one should really have a staff of grooms.

Perhaps tomorrow I shall post the ultimate mid-life crisis picture. It illustrates the effect on the arse of a middle aged man of attempting bareback riding over fences.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

I never did, and still don't know what I want to be (apart from the usual growing up stuff - Vet, Nurse, Air Hostess, as they were called way back then).

Reality - "Mummy" (No, Butch! Not the ancient bandaged kind!!)
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have been in the past, but fraid mostly PC

Shame on you - I want my karma back!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:00 am

Shame on you - I want my karma back!
Ooh I haven't had any karma for ages
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ooh I haven't had any karma for ages

You beg so nicely that I sent you some even though you are a traitor and should be taken out and shot!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:11 am

You are a very fortunate woman Sue. Keep on truckin'
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
We now have a dog, a cat and a two compost heaps.
I'm sure composting isnt the only reason I like you but it helps.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:48 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

I wanted to be a stewardess or work as a cashier in a store.
Fortunately didn't end up as either - got my ECE diploma and worked in daycares for 12 years before I moved here. Am currently working as a nanny to give myself an "easy" year before I go back into daycare. Love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.