Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Media Streaming - part 93 - any suggestions?

Media Streaming - part 93 - any suggestions?

Old Jul 28th 2019, 2:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Media Streaming - part 93 - any suggestions?

We've not had one of these for a while.

We're part way through experimenting with what may be an acceptable alternative to the usual cable/satellite crap - especially now that my football is available only via DAZN/Internet. I have a small desktop computer dedicated to a TV in my room, so I have all I 'need' via that.

We have a Smart (Fire) TV that I was hoping would be experimented with but it's the one in my mother in law's room so it doesn't get experimented with as I hoped. I could swap it with the main one but if all goes to plan I would then need a streaming device anyway for the non smart tv, so rather than move them and then swap them back again, I figure I'd just get the device.

Now, the DAZN streaming site has a higher system requirement than other streaming services. Our internet is very good and wi-fi is very good too. But DAZN requires 8 Mbps and our wi-fi speed mostly exceeds that but it will occasionally dip causing it to buffer. It's enough to be annoying on those occasions. It's only an issue with DAZN. Netflix and everything else wi-fi is fine.

So I want to connect the device using ethernet cable to guarantee no dipping. We get 200 Mbps then.

Roku sticks ($50) need adapters to do that and I'd rather not faff around with that, so I'd prefer something that will take an ethernet cable.

Roku Ultra apparently has that but it has other stuff - like 4k - which I don't need and it comes to about $150, although Walmart advertises $120 right now. It just seems like I want one extra feature to the stick but I have to pay for several (rather like the TV package )

I see there's an HYFAI (whatever that means) Android TV box from Walmart for just under $50. It has an ethernet port so that may do the job and DAZN/Netflix are both compatible.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get one of these?
There's no smartphone in the house so anything needing one of those is out of the question.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 3:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Media Streaming - part 93 - any suggestions?

Are you sure that it's one of the supported devices for DAZN? If it isn't then there's no guarantee it will work with it... or rather, that you won't have issues with buffering still. I'd check with DAZN (live chat) before spending money.

https://my.dazn.com/help/supported-d...omepage-canada

On another note, you should only need 8mbps for DAZN if you are watching in Hi Def ... this is the US site info: https://my.dazn.com/help/how-fast-do...net-need-to-be
Attached Thumbnails Media Streaming - part 93 - any suggestions?-internet-connection-requirements.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 28th 2019 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 4:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you sure that it's one of the supported devices for DAZN? If it isn't then there's no guarantee it will work with it.

https://my.dazn.com/help/supported-d...omepage-canada
It says it is. Earlier on when I looked I initially read phone and tablet but Android TV gets a separate mention lower down.

Old Jul 28th 2019, 4:40 pm
Oscar nominated

That's not the device though - for instance, they have only supported Roku since last year - and some smart TV's they only support specific models. Check with the live chat before you buy..
Fair enough, I will.

Crazy thing, the Smart TV (Toshiba 32") was $190 plus enviro fee (DAZN is on that) and the same Toshiba (not smart) TV was $150. And I need a Roku Ultra for $150 to make the dumb TV Smart.

Perhaps I should go with the Roku stick and adapter option.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 7:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Fair enough, I will.

Crazy thing, the Smart TV (Toshiba 32") was $190 plus enviro fee (DAZN is on that) and the same Toshiba (not smart) TV was $150. And I need a Roku Ultra for $150 to make the dumb TV Smart.

Perhaps I should go with the Roku stick and adapter option.
They support https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=fire+tcv+stick&i=amazon-devices&crid=2D3JMZMICO69N&sprefix=fire+tc%2Camazon-devices%2C158&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_7 CDN$ 49.99 or 4k $69.99 (I'm not sure if you would need https://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B01LXP5TXI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=32BDHQ7XNLR4I&keywords=ethernet+adapter+for+fire+tv+stick&qid=1564342231&s=gateway&sprefix=ethernet+adapt%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-5as well )

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 28th 2019 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 8:09 pm
Oscar nominated

They support TV Firesticks CDN$ 49.99 or 4k $69.99 (I'm not sure if you would need the adaptor as well )
Thanks, that may be the way to go. The adapter is only needed for ethernet connection and while everything else wi-fi is good, including netflix, dazn is unreliable. A few days ago I was watching a game on dazn on wi-fi and it was completely uninterrupted. Then another game it buffered until I got dazn's message saying it couldn't connect. Twice. Meanwhile all other connections were working fine. I plugged the ethernet in and it was all good again.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 12:44 am
Banned

Thanks, that may be the way to go. The adapter is only needed for ethernet connection and while everything else wi-fi is good, including netflix, dazn is unreliable. A few days ago I was watching a game on dazn on wi-fi and it was completely uninterrupted. Then another game it buffered until I got dazn's message saying it couldn't connect. Twice. Meanwhile all other connections were working fine. I plugged the ethernet in and it was all good again.
WiFi and DAZN are not a good mix.. you really need to have a direct link up to your router if possible, so you might need to use an adaptor... you can use it with the Firestick too.. (the one I linked to is made for that purpose)

Have you asked in the Lab? Calling Gozit!
Old Jul 29th 2019, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

WiFi and DAZN are not a good mix.. you really need to have a direct link up to your router if possible, so you might need to use an adaptor... you can use it with the Firestick too.. (the one I linked to is made for that purpose)

Have you asked in the Lab? Calling Gozit!
I'm going to be getting DAZN soon once the Premier League begins and our Samsung TV has the app built in. We have Neftlix and at times Amazon Prime and YouTube via that TV w/o problems so hopefully DAZN will be the same. The free trial month that people take that will likely co-incide with the premier league starting will be the test of their servers.

Pubs/bars etc are going to be hard pressed to get a commercial account for DAZN so it may not be as available in those venues.

FYI...the final year of the Tour de France on Sportsnet just ended as next year it will be on a cycling centric streaming service that I think you have to get for a year
Old Jul 29th 2019, 6:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'm going to be getting DAZN soon once the Premier League begins and our Samsung TV has the app built in. We have Neftlix and at times Amazon Prime and YouTube via that TV w/o problems so hopefully DAZN will be the same. The free trial month that people take that will likely co-incide with the premier league starting will be the test of their servers.

Pubs/bars etc are going to be hard pressed to get a commercial account for DAZN so it may not be as available in those venues.

FYI...the final year of the Tour de France on Sportsnet just ended as next year it will be on a cycling centric streaming service that I think you have to get for a year
I don't think it really matters what you use to access DAZN - an app can be on a tv, a playstation, firestick. chromecast, phone, ipad or whatever. What counts is how that is linked up to the internet. DAZN does not work well (without buffering) using WiFi.. if you are hoping to watch it in High Def you need a steady and stable 8mbps - likely only possible with a direct hook up.

Old Jul 29th 2019, 9:45 am
Oscar nominated

For my room, I have an ethernet connected desktop for the TV. That's great, but I don't want to be cooped up in my room for the footie.

Old Jul 29th 2019, 4:46 pm
Banned

For my room, I have an ethernet connected desktop for the TV. That's great, but I don't want to be cooped up in my room for the footie.
Then you will probably need to work out how to have a direct ethernet connection to the firestick / adaptor or whatever else you decide to use.
I know I keep saying it, but DAZN and WiFi really isn't a good mix - even with a steady 8.5mbps on WiFi you may get buffering.. I've seen literally hundreds of complaints about it and the recommendation every time is to hardwire the internet connection to whatever you are using to view... unless you are watching it on a phone, lol.

Old Jul 29th 2019, 5:06 pm
Oscar nominated

Then you will probably need to work out how to have a direct ethernet connection to the firestick / adaptor or whatever else you decide to use.
I know I keep saying it, but DAZN and WiFi really isn't a good mix - even with a steady 8.5mbps on WiFi you may get buffering..
Yes I know...hence ethernet in my room...remember that previous discussion about how to get the cable there when we misunderstood each other?

Luckily we already have an ethernet cable running around the living room from where it was used before we went wi-fi and it's near the TV. I didn't want to spend $150 or so on an Ultra with all the bells and whistles I didn't need. So the $50 stick and $20 adapter you linked to is fine.

Old Jul 30th 2019, 6:17 am
Banned

Yes I know...hence ethernet in my room...remember that previous discussion about how to get the cable there when we misunderstood each other?

Luckily we already have an ethernet cable running around the living room from where it was used before we went wi-fi and it's near the TV. I didn't want to spend $150 or so on an Ultra with all the bells and whistles I didn't need. So the $50 stick and $20 adapter you linked to is fine.
I remember it well!

If you are going to go with the Firestick I've read that it's worth the extra few dollars to get the 4k one.. but just for footie it may not be... still cheaper than the all singing all dancing boxes (and you have Alexa to help you )
Old Jul 30th 2019, 11:56 am
Oscar nominated

If you are going to go with the Firestick I've read that it's worth the extra few dollars to get the 4k one.. but just for footie it may not be... still cheaper than the all singing all dancing boxes (and you have Alexa to help you )
The stick would be for the main TV so most of its use would be the others watching endless Bones repeats, CSI repeats, surgery gone wrong and just about every cooking show ever made among a few other things.
I'm hoping they can find this stuff via the sticks.

The Smart TV is a Fire one, I was thinking Roku for the stick for the non smart tv so we had both. But I have no idea whether that's an advantage or not.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 12:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Strange that all these TV gadgets were always a major talking point on BE with everyone recommending their faves and offering tips and highlighting problems. I suppose everyone is sorted now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.