Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

measles outbreak Vancouver

measles outbreak Vancouver

Old Feb 16th 2019, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default measles outbreak Vancouver

Vancouver has a measles outbreak, (both Vancouver's do actually both Canada and US but not related)

9 people so far.

What is crazy is of the 127 schools in the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, only 27 have vaccine rates above 90%, apparently the vaccine rate overall is getting too low for herd immunity to work as well.

I am not sure if I received 2 dose vaccine or 1 dose, my birth year falls into a range where 1 dose may have been given, trying to see if my parents kept my baby vaccine records.

The outbreak seems to have started at 3 French schools.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/0...ls_a_23670871/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4968207/v...date-outbreak/
Old Feb 16th 2019, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: measles outbreak Vancouver

According to this morning's paper, they have found the indicator child ................. someone who was not vaccinated but had visited a region in the Philippines where there is currently a measles outbreak.

There is also a measles epidemic in Washington State, and the rate of vaccination is even lower in those schools, as in many other US states.

The major problem seems to be that a) many parents distrust vaccination, and b) have absolutely no knowledge of the terrible results that exposure to "childhood" diseases can have.

It is very scary for parents who do get their children vaccinated, even more for parents whose children cannot be vaccinated because if immune-deficiency, cancer treatments, etc.
Old Feb 16th 2019, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe follow California's lead, they went from having very lose vaccination laws and various ways to get out of vaccinations to have some of the toughest, end result vaccination rates went up.

Pretty much now unless a child has a valid medical reason they cannot get a vaccine, if parents want to enroll their kids in school, they have to vaccinate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/u...-students.html
Old Feb 17th 2019, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

But Washington, Oregon and a number other states do not have stringent rules about kids being vaccinated before enrolling in school.

" All 50 states have legislation requiring specified vaccines for students. Although exemptions vary from state to state, all school immunization laws grant exemptions to children for medical reasons. Almost all states grant religious exemptions for people who have religious beliefs against immunizations"

It seems some of our Medical Officers are looking at mandatory reporting status of vaccinations when child is enrolled in school on the principle that then there will be a list of children vaccinated and those not vaccinated. The parents of non-vaccinated children will be contacted, asked why, and given information as to the truth about vaccinations (vs the untruths of the no vaccination online sites).
Old Feb 17th 2019, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

May I just say that no one in the world so much deserves a lingering painful death as Andrew Wakefield. I mean I hate naturopaths, homeopaths, aromatherapists, all variations of barefoot doctors and I hate the way the Health Freedom News guides people to reading the Spotlight and then to thinking Trump is some kind of liberal pinko. I loath all of the alternative medicine people, but among this sleazy bunch of charlatans preying upon the vulnerable, he's the one who most wants denial of medication in his time of need.

Of course schools should require vaccination of students and in the case of unvaccinated children the answer is not the provision of information but replacement of the parents; the current ones are defective.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

The father of the children at the center of the outbreak has spoken to media, also seems the doctors at the hospital misdiagnosed as well.

"Bilodeau brought him to BC Children's Hospital on Jan. 21. He said medical staff were aware that the boy hadn't been vaccinated, but they ruled out measles and instead conducted tests for malaria and influenza."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...8r9R5apXp0M_6c
Old Feb 17th 2019, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

That father is now calling for all children to be vaccinated after all 3 of his children have come down with the disease.

He said he wasn't against vaccination when the children were babies, just didn't like some of the methodology.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: measles outbreak Vancouver

I'm sorry if I appear to be ignorant about this subject, but I don't have kids, so havent been following the measles discussion
I remember that I had measles when I was about 9 years old, back in 1973 and I think everyone in our class had it, but nobody made a big fuss about it. I had a temperature and it was itchy...
I am still alive and kicking... I have no damage that I know of
So what's the big fuss about measles these days?
Please enlighten me!
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:40 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
I'm sorry if I appear to be ignorant about this subject, but I don't have kids, so havent been following the measles discussion
I remember that I had measles when I was about 9 years old, back in 1973 and I think everyone in our class had it, but nobody made a big fuss about it. I had a temperature and it was itchy...
Please enlighten me!
You were lucky. Those that died of now-easily-preventable childhood diseases (measles leads to potentially fatal complications including encephalitis in up to 1 in 10,000 cases, and can cause permanent hearing loss and other non-fatal complications) are not around to crow about how they survived the outbreaks in years past.

As the parent of an immunocompromised child, I find I get quite viscerally upset by the stupidity of parents who believe the woo about vaccine safety. Just immunize the damn kids.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
Please enlighten me!
An increasing number of parents elect not to vaccinate their children. In consequence, diseases such as measles, that had been effectively eradicated, are resurgent and are killing children. Due to the mechanics of herd immunity it is not just the children of the derelict parents who are at risk. Polio seems likely to be the next big comeback success.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for clearing up the risks. I had no idea it was so dangerous. And I guess I am glad that I survived it without further complications
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
An increasing number of parents elect not to vaccinate their children. In consequence, diseases such as measles, that had been effectively eradicated, are resurgent and are killing children. Due to the mechanics of herd immunity it is not just the children of the derelict parents who are at risk. Polio seems likely to be the next big comeback success.
I think measles has come back specifically because of the MMR scare that happened. The father of the infected children in Vancouver specifically mentioned the MMR risks that were in the media at the time, and chose not to give that specific vaccine to his kids.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I think measles has come back specifically because of the MMR scare that happened. .
Yes. The root of the anti-vaccination fad is Andrew Wakefield's unjustified attack on the MMR vaccination.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 9:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Old Feb 19th 2019, 10:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
You were lucky. Those that died of now-easily-preventable childhood diseases (measles leads to potentially fatal complications including encephalitis in up to 1 in 10,000 cases, and can cause permanent hearing loss and other non-fatal complications) are not around to crow about how they survived the outbreaks in years past.

As the parent of an immunocompromised child, I find I get quite viscerally upset by the stupidity of parents who believe the woo about vaccine safety. Just immunize the damn kids.
I'm with you, I have zero patience for anti-vaxers, people who believe the earth is flat, and bible bashers who think that earth is only 6,000 years old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.