MB or SK?

Old Nov 29th 2014, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

marie1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MB or SK?

Looking to move to either MB or SK. Initially, SK was our choice, but now considering MB. Anyone had any experience with living in both provinces that they could share with us? Wanting to make sure that we make the right move for our family! Thanks
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MB or SK?

Manitoba is closer to the UK
Both have similar scenery (flat)
Both are ****ing cold in winter
SK having a bit of a boom in the oil and gas industry
Both have affordable housing compared to Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto
Saskatoon is a nicer city than Regina
Winnipeg has a bigger airport
Both have Govt run auto insurance SGI and MPI
SK has a better football team
Mb has a NHL hockey team
Cost of living is about the same unless living in the northern parts of each province
Both have lots of lakes and warm summers and mosquitos
Both have high crime rates but still safe to live in
Sk is closer to the Rockies
Both have lower unemployment rates SK 3.5% MB 5.4%
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info! I was more drawn to SK because of the boom in oil and gas (I work as in health and safety as an instructor). However, a couple of friends suggested we look at MB too. The main thing for us is making sure that we don't have to move again, at least not for a while! Unemployment rates look promising!
Old Nov 29th 2014, 5:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marie1977
Thanks for the info! I was more drawn to SK because of the boom in oil and gas (I work as in health and safety as an instructor). However, a couple of friends suggested we look at MB too. The main thing for us is making sure that we don't have to move again, at least not for a while! Unemployment rates look promising!
Just stay in AB.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Not an option to stay here
Old Nov 29th 2014, 5:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Have you visited both provinces? If you're planning a long term move, that may give some insights. I've only driven THRU each province so I am afraid I cannot add much. I've found the people from SK and MB to be friendly and unpretentious.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

We're planning on visiting both asap. Only made the concrete decision in the last week that we are moving. So very early days yet, but want to do as much research as possible!
Old Nov 29th 2014, 7:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't take as long to get up into the northern forest in Mb, also on the east side of Mb the begining of the Canadian Shield (more trees and lakes and rocks) is right there near the Ont.border. If fishing is a consideration Mb has a bit of an edge imo though both are great.