Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is May doing the whole Russian thing to divert attention?

Is May doing the whole Russian thing to divert attention?

Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is May doing the whole Russian thing to divert attention?

Circulating in Military circles -

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...74259099491589
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What I understand is why the Russian state would use an internationally controlled toxin? The potential for serious collateral damage is immense. If the state wanted to assassinate someone, there are far easier and safer methods. It sounds like it may be a rogue Russian or terrorist group that wants to make a name for itself or exert some power.
The same reason why polonium was used to assassinate Litvinenko. So that is no doubt who is responsible.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The same reason why polonium was used to assassinate Litvinenko. So that is no doubt who is responsible.
Not a case of once bitten, twice shy? Or maybe they were inspired by Kim Jong Un's brother...
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:27 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't find that at all interesting. I think it's a load of bollocks. An enemy of the Russian state is attacked using a weapon that is stereotypically Russian. That's enough for me. The Russians done it.

Just because American public life has descended into playground discourse, with every social media bleet being accorded the same weight as a Supreme Court judgement, there's no reason for the rest of the world to follow suit. Give yer heads a shake, May hasn't knocked off a citizen as a Trumpian diversion tactic, she's not overreacting, the Russians have caused a problem and she's responded as best she can with the limited resources available.

May is grating though, there's no getting away from that.
You had me worried there. You seemed to be agreeing with a Tory PM.

Good recovery in the last sentence, though.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not a case of once bitten, twice shy? Or maybe they were inspired by Kim Jong Un's brother...
Variety is the spice of life, and death apparently.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's certainly the most convincing of the ideas put forward over the last few days.

It's pretty weird though. "This will show our enemies we mean business...what? How dare you suggest we'd commit such a heinous act!"
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:46 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Maybot is rather illustrating the limits of UK soft and hard power. Putin did this, I suspect there is little doubt. Beyond expelling a few diplomats - which the Russians will doubtless copy in tit-for-tat. What can be done? Boycott the world cup? I'm sure England not getting sent home in the second round as usual will be a real impact. Of course it'd be nice if we were in a union of similar European states who could mutually support us in our dealings with Russia. Oh hang on.....

The real impact would be in targetting individuals linked to Putin with assets in the UK. Using the Magnitsky act. (If you don't know about Sergei Magnitsky then I recommend either reading Bill Browder's book "Red Notice" or listening to his interview with James O'brien here: https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/...browder-150266 )

There has been understandable and justifiable furor in the UK media about Red Jezza's reluctance to condemn Putin & his Chief of Staff, Seamus Milne's comments on not trusting the UK intelligence services. What isn't quite as widely reported are conservative links to Russian funding. Allegedly, Jacob Rees-Mogg, darling of the victorian-values-brexiteer-right and former fund manager, managed quite a lot of Russian money. Probably not that interested in annoying Putin then...
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

There's so much Russian money and power in the UK, it almost seems risky freezing assets etc.. Any officials involved in it would certainly have to give up tea and park benches.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:12 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This is interesting...
I don't find that at all interesting. I think it's a load of bollocks.
Is it? I couldn't get past the illiteracy of the second paragraph.

Fulsome.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Grrr.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's certainly the most convincing of the ideas put forward over the last few days.

It's pretty weird though. "This will show our enemies we mean business...what? How dare you suggest we'd commit such a heinous act!"
It's all rather clever. On the domestic front Putin gets to appeal to patriotism a few days before Russian voters to go to polls and scare the bejeezus out of any would-be traitors or dissidents. On the international front he's testing our government, the EU and NATO in the era of Brexit and Trump for any internal weakness or division which he can exploit. Perhaps he wants to ramp up his efforts in Ukraine; maybe he is even sizing up whether he can send his little green men into one of the Baltic states.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Beyond expelling a few diplomats - which the Russians will doubtless copy in tit-for-tat. What can be done?
The real impact would be in targeting individuals linked to Putin with assets in the UK. Using the Magnitsky act. .
Trudeau will surely do his bit... oh wait.
Owners of western Canada’s biggest steel company on U.S. Treasury’s new ‘Putin list’ | National Post
This week in Regina making our stance known on steel tariffs at Evraz:
Trudeau talks pot and trade during tour of Regina’s Evraz steel mill | Regina Leader-Post
It would have been hilarious if he'd gotten up to speak and announced the mill was being seized under the Magnitsky Act and all the executives were under arrest.
Maybe if not for pipelines...
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all rather clever. On the domestic front Putin gets to appeal to patriotism a few days before Russian voters to go to polls and scare the bejeezus out of any would-be traitors or dissidents. On the international front he's testing our government, the EU and NATO in the era of Brexit and Trump for any internal weakness or division which he can exploit. Perhaps he wants to ramp up his efforts in Ukraine; maybe he is even sizing up whether he can send his little green men into one of the Baltic states.
I think this is a good, and straightforward, reading of what's happening. There's really no need for the news web sites to give space to every tweeter who seeks to cast doubt on rational explanations of events, those positing mysterious third party poisoners want chopping up with Occam's razor.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:44 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find that at all interesting. I think it's a load of bollocks. An enemy of the Russian state is attacked using a weapon that is stereotypically Russian. That's enough for me. The Russians done it.
What I don't understand is why the Russian state would use an internationally controlled toxin? The potential for serious collateral damage is immense. If the state wanted to assassinate someone, there are far easier and safer methods. It sounds like it may be a rogue Russian or terrorist group that wants to make a name for itself or exert some power.
Yep. If you're going to carry out a hit to deter future disloyalty, you have to be clear and obvious about who carried it out, and that you can't be stopped.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I think the Maybot is rather illustrating the limits of UK soft and hard power. Putin did this, I suspect there is little doubt. Beyond expelling a few diplomats - which the Russians will doubtless copy in tit-for-tat. What can be done? Boycott the world cup? I'm sure England not getting sent home in the second round as usual will be a real impact. Of course it'd be nice if we were in a union of similar European states who could mutually support us in our dealings with Russia. Oh hang on.....
I think Britain is shifting into the "rich but no power" category. We'll be another UAE at this rate, all you can do is shoot yourself in the foot by seizing investments, whilst making rather peeved noises.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

From Russia With Blood:

Seen this on the CBC today:

https://watch.cbc.ca/the-investigato...5a-00e19ed58f4

Buzzfeed UK article:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/...Rr3#.bjyGXkQv3