Masks

Old May 7th 2020, 12:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
People that spit in the street are unlikely to spit at another and, if they do, I don't believe that they would not be able to lower their mask to enable them to do so.
As you likely know, that comment was nothing to do with virus transmission and was simply an example of how some people do not observe general niceties and as many others have observed not everybody observes the advice specific to virus transmission.

I have not been within 6 feet (which, as you likely aware, is a distance that has no scientific basis either) for well over a month. I live on 20 acres and wash my hands every 5 minutes. Exactly how have I become infected?
Buy into the hysteria all you want to, but don't expect others to follow you.
Hysteria. 30,000deaths in the UK. 75,000 deaths in the USA. 4,000 in Canada. 264,000 worldwide. Additional deaths. Extra to those that would normally have happened.

If my hands were full I would do something simple like sneeze downwards or raise whatever I was carrying so that I placed them between my nose and whatever I was attempting to avoid spraying.
So you're going to sneeze onto whatever you're carrying - if it's not too heavy or bulky to lift and you're never taken by surprise.
And then what are you going to do with the splattered items you're carrying?

How does your comment that you've not been within 6 feet of anyone and can't be infected square with
I have been taking public transport throughout this period and everybody has been keeping 6 feet away from one another.
How do you enter/exit and not pass someone sitting in a seat, the furthest point of which is about 3' away? How do you know that you didn't just sit in a sit that was just occupied by someone else or you didn't touch a rail that was just held onto by someone else? Up to 72 hours, depending on he surface, is the time research has shown the virus can survive for. That's why people have been advised to avoid touching door handles and elevator buttons.

You've not passed documents between you and clients? The others in your household, can you guarantee they've not picked it up from surfaces or contacts from other people? You've had no mail delivery? You wiped down every square inch of grocery items that may have been 'contaminated' by a number of people before you and you can guarantee that you and nobody else in the house touched such a surface or if they did they can absolutely guarantee they washed hands before touching their face or absent-mindedly touched another surface so that hand washing might only delay transmission.

All those are ways the virus can be passed on. If you can guarantee it hasn't happened among the members of your household, then you have likely been pretty obsessive in precaution taking.

A couple of weeks ago I asked you "As a diabetic yourself and therefore more susceptible to a more severe reaction, is that what you and your family are doing? They can go about their normal business while you decide whether you want to isolate yourself from the increased potential of them bringing something back into your home?"

Your answer
That is exactly what we are doing and, to be honest with you, I am simply going to work as I usually would, keeping my distance from others as, without doing so, I receive no income.

If I was concerned about the effects to me, I would have to lock myself in a room.. I see it as being about personal tolerance to risk.

My oldest daughter is still working at her part time job at Petsmart most days.
That all looks rather complacent.

Old May 7th 2020, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Hysteria. 30,000deaths in the UK. 75,000 deaths in the USA. 4,000 in Canada. 264,000 worldwide. Additional deaths. Extra to those that would normally have happened.
Once again, you are changing the context. I was responding to a discussion about masks, not deaths or infections.

So you're going to sneeze onto whatever you're carrying - if it's not too heavy or bulky to lift and you're never taken by surprise.
I don't carry anything, I pull a counsel's case and I don't believe that I have ever sneezed without having some form of warning that it was going to happen.

And then what are you going to do with the splattered items you're carrying?
Well, I wouldn't smear them against a handrail, if that is what you are suggesting.

How does your comment that you've not been within 6 feet of anyone and can't be infected square with
When I have ever said I can't be infected? If you wish to make an argument, please stop twisting everything I have said.

How do you enter/exit and not pass someone sitting in a seat, the furthest point of which is about 3' away? How do you know that you didn't just sit in a sit that was just occupied by someone else or you didn't touch a rail that was just held onto by someone else? Up to 72 hours, depending on he surface, is the time research has shown the virus can survive for. That's why people have been advised to avoid touching door handles and elevator buttons.
I have been taking the C-train to work in Calgary. Each time I have done so, there have been about 3 other people on the carriage (lack of people going to work) and people have been keeping away from each other, exiting and entering without a need to pass anyone. I get the train in the morning at around 5:45 a.m. and have been leaving around 1:30 p.m.

I clean every seat before I sit on it and, if I need to touch a handrail or push a button, I clean my hands with sanitizer immediately after having done so (I carry one and wipes in my pocket).

You've not passed documents between you and clients?
No

The others in your household, can you guarantee they've not picked it up from surfaces or contacts from other people? … You wiped down every square inch of grocery items that may have been 'contaminated' by a number of people before you and you can guarantee that you and nobody else in the house touched such a surface or if they did they can absolutely guarantee they washed hands before touching their face or absent-mindedly touched another surface so that hand washing might only delay transmission.
Yes, this is actually quite easy, I suggest you try it.

You've had no mail delivery?
No. There are wonderful things called Epost and email.

All those are ways the virus can be passed on. If you can guarantee it hasn't happened among the members of your household, then you have likely been pretty obsessive in precaution taking.
I thought we were talking about mask wearing. We like to be responsible for our own safety and not rely upon others.

A couple of weeks ago I asked you "As a diabetic yourself and therefore more susceptible to a more severe reaction, is that what you and your family are doing? They can go about their normal business while you decide whether you want to isolate yourself from the increased potential of them bringing something back into your home?"

Your answer

That all looks rather complacent.
I will ignore the judgement call.

I would have assumed that any infection my daughter may have received would have passed on to me by now and, if so, I am no longer contagious.

Don't forget, I stated that I believed, I didn't state that I wasn't. I am sure you will appreciate the difference and, in the big scheme of things, I believe that the likelihood of anyone being infected purely as a result of my non-mask wearing is so small so as not to be an issue. Others must agree with me as, with the exception of those that look of Asian descent and very old people, very few that I see out and about are wearing masks. If the various governments had seemed it sufficiently necessary, I would have thought that they would have already made it mandatory in day to day life. I fully appreciate that certain situations justify such action.

In anticipation that you will continue to sift through everything that has been said in this post and attempt to "expose" me once again, I shall now bow out from this discussion as it has moved too far away from my original comments and I see no useful purpose in continuing to discuss this issue here. I am not going to change your opinion and you are not going to change mind and, as I stated above, I suggest we leave it there.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; May 7th 2020 at 2:08 pm.
Old May 7th 2020, 3:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

When I have ever said I can't be infected? If you wish to make an argument, please stop twisting everything I have said..
Well, you initially said you didn't believe you were infected. You followed that with with stuff about how you have maintained distances, live miles away from anywhere etc and then asked "Exactly how have I become infected?" meaning you don't believe you could be.

That's a clear indication that in your view you could not have become infected.
Old May 7th 2020, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wont take transit for the foreseeable future.

Right now you can most of the day keep distance if on the skytrain, but its impossible to social distance on the bus.

Will be a bit interesting as restrictions are relaxed in the next couple weeks, and people start commuting again how things go. Right now ridership is lower but each week there are more and more on the buses, and its simply not possible to be 6 feet away from anyone on a bus.

Translink is also cutting service due to loss of revenue, and its unknown if they will go back to a full schedule right away, so could be less service + increase in passengers.

I don't feel comfortable sitting on a bus in these times that close to other people, although I would consider the skytrain right now if we lived near a station as it seems possible to maintain distance on the trains.
Old May 7th 2020, 7:46 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a nice informative article that tries, I think, to debunk to mask questions

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...d-of-face-mask

Old May 8th 2020, 12:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Masks not mandatory here.
All shops in the local shopping centre were open today, hairdressing and barber shop staff wore masks, staff in food and clothing shops, newsagents etc weren't wearing them.
I'd estimate around 10% of shoppers wore masks, all except a few oldies respected social distancing.
In a private hospital over the past week, the only staff member I saw wearing a mask was a doctor performing a medical procedure. However, all people entering the hospital including medical staff were screened (temperature taken and reason for attending asked and responses recorded). Each patient only permitted one designated visitor for the duration of their stay, and it had to be the same visitor.
There were two sets of buttons in the lifts, one for staff and one for the public (not sure how that was policed!)
Nearly all venues now only accepting card payments.

Old May 8th 2020, 3:26 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
There were two sets of buttons in the lifts, one for staff and one for the public (not sure how that was policed!)
Digital fingerprints. If you are not authorised to press a staff button, it fails to recognise you and
Spoiler:

Old May 8th 2020, 3:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I started keeping my N-95 mask in a paper bag in the van, so I can put it on before going into a store, then put it back after. When I remember to I use the end of a pen to poke my pin number in.
Old May 11th 2020, 5:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

UK Gov has now published advice on how to make a mask using an old t-shirt. Should be an interesting few months of 'maskies' being uploaded to Instagram.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...e-one-11986567
Old May 11th 2020, 6:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Washable, has a filter pocket, $10. Part of me wants it and says get in touch, and part of me says "heat score, no".

Old May 11th 2020, 7:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Digital fingerprints. If you are not authorised to press a staff button, it fails to recognise you and
Spoiler:

That'd fill up the ED There didn't appear to be anything different about the 'staff only' buttons, no ID card reader etc, but I probably missed something.
Old May 11th 2020, 7:40 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by caretaker
I started keeping my N-95 mask in a paper bag in the van, so I can put it on before going into a store, then put it back after. When I remember to I use the end of a pen to poke my pin number in.
Scouse wears one and keeps it in the car too. I bought a couple of N95 masks in preparation for 'the holiday that wasn't', he's kept one and we gave the other one to my mum.
I'm seeing fewer masks when out and about, not that there were that many being worn anyway. I'm probably worrying unnecessarily but Western Australia seems to have got off very lightly, which makes me wonder when the other shoe will drop. Out of our 552 confirmed cases 536 have recovered and 9 have died. Of the remaining 7 active cases, 4 are in hospital and 1 in ICU. I just hope people aren't getting too complacent.
Old May 12th 2020, 4:19 am
Concierge

A handy article on how to make face masks without sewing https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ewing-required

Old May 12th 2020, 4:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I just hope people aren't getting too complacent.
^^ This.
Old May 12th 2020, 8:37 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I read a funny thing saying that a Face Mask is the new Bra. Nobody wants to wear one, they are uncomfortable and we get it off asap, but if you aren't wearing one it stands out...

I know that they are de rigueur now so I am sporting one, but they really do steam your glasses up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.