Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:14 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

I hope this doesn't offend but the above comments about Grindr made me think of this clip

Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:26 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I hope this doesn't offend but the above comments about Grindr made me think of this clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sZb3JesBN7c

Have not seen that animated version of RG before. Pretty good. Easier to watch than the three of them in real life, but neveR find the Karl Pilkington stuff as funny as RG seems too. Other than The Office, RG seems terribly overrated.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:28 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Have not seen that animated version of RG before. Pretty good. Easier to watch than the three of them in real life, but neveR find the Karl Pilkington stuff as funny as RG seems too. Other than The Office, RG seems terribly overrated.
I've not seen the animated one before and not a huge gervais fan but enjoyed the first couple of seasons of Idiot abroad but only due to Karl Pilkington's miserable attitude and responses.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:32 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
I've not seen the animated one before and not a huge gervais fan but enjoyed the first couple of seasons of Idiot abroad but only due to Karl Pilkington's miserable attitude and responses.
An occasional laugh, agreed. New RG series out soon, maybe that will be better.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not a lot. And, I should add, neither should you if you're going to get hitched!
All Gays whether on it or not know of its existence.

R
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about

I saw some fascinating comments on the BBC website, not even trolls but seemingly genuine earnest commenters, saying things like "well, my 30 year marriage means nothing now" (WTF? ) and "Britain is now morally bankrupt". And they seemed to be in roughly equal numbers to the comments supporting the bill.

You might have to forgive my naivety at the tender age of 27 but until yesterday I genuinely believed Britain was past all of that. I had no idea those kinds of people still existed in such numbers. Or maybe they were just particularly vocal yesterday. Man, I thought this was practically a non-issue these days?

I imagine I'm preaching to the choir here at BE but using the bible, particularly the OT, as justification for anything legal is a bit hopeless unless you're cherry-picking, and I just can't understand why anybody would insist on the enforcement in law of some parts and not others.

Behold:

"If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, and the elders shall take the man and punish him. They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you."

Deuteronomy 22:13-21
In other words, if you marry a woman and then to your dissatisfaction find her not to be a virgin, you may drag her down to the church, humiliate her, and she can be stoned to death. If you were mistaken, in which case her parents managed to produce some evidence of her virginity (quite how they might do this, I have no idea) you get to stay married to her forever as punishment for this humiliation.

Sounds like a quick and easy way to bin your wife and make sure she doesn't get half the house so I'm surprised some of the bitter maladjusted creeps out there aren't pushing for it.

But one could sit all day grabbing outrageous quotes from the OT, it's just shooting fish in a barrel really. Amusing though.

I think they did the right thing with this bill. I also think civil partnership could be extended to opposite sex couples if there's some sort of practical reason to do so. It seems possible to have a fully non-religious marriage so I'm not sure what that reason might be, but I hear people talking about it so maybe they know.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:24 am
me/moi

Such a forgiving faith.

Anyone know why the OT is full of contentious stuff like this, but the NT is more moderate?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:29 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Such a forgiving faith.

Anyone know why the OT is full of contentious stuff like this, but the NT is more moderate?
Jesus.

(welll that's the theory)
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:32 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by bats
Jesus.

(welll that's the theory)
So the NT. is post Jesus? Sorry, long time since my indoctrination sessions...
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:23 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

So the NT. is post Jesus? Sorry, long time since my indoctrination sessions...
Yep, although written decades after he supposedly lived by people who didn't meet him, save two I think. Bill Maher documentary 'Religious' is quite humorous.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:26 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Tangram
Yep, although written decades after he supposedly lived by people who didn't meet him, save two I think. Bill Maher documentary 'Religious' is quite humorous.
Very keen to see Religiosity. Have seen plenty of YT clips of him in the meantime.

So who wrote the OT?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sZb3JesBN7c

I have to say - I did actually find this quite offensive on so many levels and I am hard to offend.

It was also factually wrong on so many levels !
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:35 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Canada is actually pretty good for that. Common law is legally recognized where it counts.
I agree. I wish it was in the UK too. We might have to get married just so that we can enjoy the same rights that we did in Canada.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:47 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
I have to say - I did actually find this quite offensive on so many levels and I am hard to offend.

It was also factually wrong on so many levels !
How many levels ?

Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:52 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Tangram
Excellent.

Talented, even back then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.