Markham

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Markham

Hi,

I would like to learn more about this town and would be grateful for any information.

Many thanks!!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Markham

Originally Posted by act1980
Hi,

I would like to learn more about this town and would be grateful for any information.

Many thanks!!
It's a Chinese speaking suburb of Toronto. I used to have to drive through it once a week and was in fear for my life and paintwork.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a Chinese speaking suburb of Toronto. I used to have to drive through it once a week and was in fear for my life and paintwork.
So no white people live there at all?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So no white people live there at all?
Oh sure, there are some, there was a poster on here who moved there and a native Indian mate of mine lived there for a while. However, the signage is in Chinese and the language spoken in shops and restaurants is predominantly Chinese. I know of a man who quit a very senior job in Guelph because he couldn't put up with commuting from Markham anymore, he couldn't move because neither his wife nor mother wanted to have to learn English.

Great place for dim sum.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh sure, there are some, there was a poster on here who moved there and a native Indian mate of mine lived there for a while. However, the signage is in Chinese and the language spoken in shops and restaurants is predominantly Chinese. I know of a man who quit a very senior job in Guelph because he couldn't put up with commuting from Markham anymore, he couldn't move because neither his wife nor mother wanted to have to learn English.

Great place for dim sum.
Hmmm, not sure if I would like that tbh. This I would feel out of place. My Fiance is Chinese but he doesn't speak the language and I think even he would feel out of place lol!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Hmmm, not sure if I would like that tbh. This I would feel out of place. My Fiance is Chinese but he doesn't speak the language and I think even he would feel out of place lol!
Still, while you're visiting you might want to go here:

http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/

get the feel of Markham.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Great place for dim sum.
A commute from Markham to Guelph would be a real slog at the best of times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markham,_Ontario

This website gives you a pretty good idea about Markham...the white population and the chinese population are basically the same as of 2006.

Love the photo of "Markham suburbs"
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:36 pm
Banned

MMM_TO is an unknown quantity at this point

Nasty ugly place... but then most of the GTA is.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Still, while you're visiting you might want to go here:

http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/

get the feel of Markham.
I've eaten in that place and barely lived to tell this tale.............
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I've eaten in that place and barely lived to tell this tale.............
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Markham yesterday and today. Stayed at the Hilton on the corner of 7th and Warden I think it is. (Nice hotel btw.) It reminded me of Shenzen, China. Lots of shiny new construction and Asian people! As suburban GTA it seemed indistinguishable from Richmond Hill (where I was this afternoon) or anywhere else.

There is lots of electronic manufacturing in Markham. If that's your industry then it would be a good place to work if not live.

Last night we went to Unionville which is nearby Markham. Perfectly preserved quaintness in a Stepford Wives sort of way. The kind of place where driving the wrong kind of car - a mid 90's Honda civic - gets you hauled over by the OPP for the third degree. In our all-show-and-no-go Pontiac G8 we fitted in with the parade of higher end automotive wonder.