Maple Ridge

Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:25 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maple Ridge

Originally Posted by el_richo
I agree. Allocate a chunk of the spending money to bring about some form of usable public transport through the wider area.
there are plans to build the evergreen line which will extend skytrain from Lougheed mall through Port Moody, terminating at Coquitlam Centre

there are also long term plans for skytrain out to UBC and extension of the expo line further south into surrey. these are enormously expensive systems though.

Vancouver is pushing for a tram system to connect tourist areas such as granville island with china town, down through coal harbour and out to stanley park. they had and experimental line during the games and it was very popular. Vancouver seems determined to make it happen, with or without translink.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:11 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a hwy skeptic too. The northeast needs more transit. I am really hoping the Evergreen Line gets built, and that this latest promise to build it isn't more smoke and mirrors to shut up the voters while they throw money at the hwy.

A bunch of my coworkers live out Ridge way, but they're only commuting to Poco, so that's not too bad. Some of them really want to move further in though. The impression I get is that people move to Maple Ridge because they don't have a lot of choice if they want to buy a place, not because they really really want to live there. There's no getting around how far away it is from the core. The WCE is great when it runs, but it only runs one way and at very set times.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jul 26th 2010 at 12:25 am. Reason: silly line and repeating self
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:25 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
What really need to happen is for the west coast express gets turned into a proper train service along the lines of something like the thames link in london. This will probably happen at some point given that the infrastructure is already there and sprawl will create the demand.

Somebody correct me if I"m wrong, but i think the problem with extending the WCE times is that the WCE doesn't own the rails, CN Rail does, and they need to use them for freight. If true this is a big impediment to extending service.

It's a very popular service though - I come into the station in the mornings and see the train pick up passengers. it's crowded.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

albert_ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm considering a job offer in Surrey.

My other half works close to the Oakridge Skytrain Station, but could/would use a car.

Does anyone have a view on 3 questions:

1. Is there somewhere within 30-40mins of Surrey that is elevated enough to get a decent view of mountains (I need to at least see them!). Oh and throw in some pleasant trails/woods

2. Any ideas on who to track down a rental property through - need something for end of July. (3 beds/ parking etc)

3. Does anyone know what the commute time to Surrey from say Lynn Valley/ Deep Cove might be? I know it usually slows down going S on Hwy 1 after the Ironworkers.

Thanks for any suggestions/ info

Ed
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albert_ed
Hi

I'm considering a job offer in Surrey.

My other half works close to the Oakridge Skytrain Station, but could/would use a car.

Does anyone have a view on 3 questions:

1. Is there somewhere within 30-40mins of Surrey that is elevated enough to get a decent view of mountains (I need to at least see them!). Oh and throw in some pleasant trails/woods
South Surrey is an option. There is a ridge than runs along most of the US border and this extends into the Semiahmoo peninsular. On the north side of the ridge you get good views across to the North Shore Mountains. Fine for trails and near to open country.

In North Surrey some of the subdivisions around 160th street and 80th avenue have great mountain views. Tynehead park nearby has some trails and an off-leash area.

Walnut Grove or Fort Langley are also options but the drive to Oakridge is getting longer.

To be honest, there are plenty of places around the Lower Mainland where you get mountain views - it varies street by street. Richmond, for example, is as flat as a pancake but if you have the right house at the right location ...

You can also look at North Burnaby - there are some nice neighborhoods with views there as well. Some of the very best mountain views are from the West Side of Vancouver where you see the North Shore Mountains over English Bay. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ though.

2. Any ideas on who to track down a rental property through - need something for end of July. (3 beds/ parking etc)
There are surprisingly few rental agencies. Most people use Craig's List, Vancouver Sun classified or the local free papers. However, I wouldn't really recommend you pay anyone any money for a property you haven't seen - pictures are not always representative of reality and how do you know the person you are paying money to really is the landlord?.

If you want to look in the South Surrey area you could go to Hugh & McKinnon's website http://www.hughmckinnon.com/singlehome.html. They generally deal with high-end rentals but are an old established agency and I would not have any concerns about paying a deposit to them.

3. Does anyone know what the commute time to Surrey from say Lynn Valley/ Deep Cove might be? I know it usually slows down going S on Hwy 1 after the Ironworkers.

Thanks for any suggestions/ info

Ed
Pretty grim at the moment as Hwy 1 has a massive construction project that will last a couple of years. I don't have any idea what the driving time is like at the moment. If the Iron Worker's Bridge is flowing freely then, using alternate routes, it is about an hour but it depends where you start in North Vancouver and whereabouts in Surrey you need to get to. Its a big place.

Once Hwy 1 is completed, against the rush hour, I would guess about 30 minutes.

The problem with commuting from the North Shore is that there are only two bridges. In rush hour they are both busy but serviceable. However, you only need an accident on one of the bridges and everything grinds to a halt. OK if you have an understanding employer but not good if you work fixed shifts. Generally, you want as few bridges/tunnels as possible between home and work.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jun 8th 2011 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

My friends from BC call it: "Maple Ditch".
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

albert_ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
South Surrey is an option. There is a ridge than runs along most of the US border and this extends into the Semiahmoo peninsular. On the north side of the ridge you get good views across to the North Shore Mountains. Fine for trails and near to open country.

In North Surrey some of the subdivisions around 160th street and 80th avenue have great mountain views. Tynehead park nearby has some trails and an off-leash area.

Walnut Grove or Fort Langley are also options but the drive to Oakridge is getting longer.

To be honest, there are plenty of places around the Lower Mainland where you get mountain views - it varies street by street. Richmond, for example, is as flat as a pancake but if you have the right house at the right location ...

You can also look at North Burnaby - there are some nice neighborhoods with views there as well. Some of the very best mountain views are from the West Side of Vancouver where you see the North Shore Mountains over English Bay. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ though.

There are surprisingly few rental agencies. Most people use Craig's List, Vancouver Sun classified or the local free papers. However, I wouldn't really recommend you pay anyone any money for a property you haven't seen - pictures are not always representative of reality and how do you know the person you are paying money to really is the landlord?.

If you want to look in the South Surrey area you could go to Hugh & McKinnon's website http://www.hughmckinnon.com/singlehome.html. They generally deal with high-end rentals but are an old established agency and I would not have any concerns about paying a deposit to them.

Pretty grim at the moment as Hwy 1 has a massive construction project that will last a couple of years. I don't have any idea what the driving time is like at the moment. If the Iron Worker's Bridge is flowing freely then, using alternate routes, it is about an hour but it depends where you start in North Vancouver and whereabouts in Surrey you need to get to. Its a big place.

The problem with commuting from the North Shore is that there are only two bridges. In rush hour they are both busy but serviceable. However, you only need an accident on one of the bridges and everything grinds to a halt. OK if you have an understanding employer but not good if you work fixed shifts. Generally, you want as few bridges/tunnels as possible between home and work.
Hi JonboyE

Thanks for such a great amount of detailed information. I'm quite curious to see what its like down at the ridge to the Semiahmoo peninsula, that sounds promising and certainly looks worth a visit. I took a look down Tsawwassen last weekend and White Rock which were interesting. I then took a drive up to Highway 1 and Maple Ridge which was a nightmare.

The job is around 84th and 152nd St.

Thanks again

Ed
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albert_ed
Hi JonboyE

Thanks for such a great amount of detailed information. I'm quite curious to see what its like down at the ridge to the Semiahmoo peninsula, that sounds promising and certainly looks worth a visit. I took a look down Tsawwassen last weekend and White Rock which were interesting. I then took a drive up to Highway 1 and Maple Ridge which was a nightmare.

The job is around 84th and 152nd St.

Thanks again

Ed
Then you drove over the ridge!

In this area your best chance of finding places with mountain views are between 24th and 32nd Avenues and west of 196th Street. There are a number of new subdivisions around 164th that are packed in on small lots but there are also older and more spacious places. Unfortunately it is not a cheap area.

From here is is an easy drive up 152nd to 84th. Oakridge Mall is about a 45 minute drive in the rush hour. Another option is to catch the commuter bus from the park and ride at exit 10 of Hwy 99. This stops at Bridgeport station where Oakridge is a short Skytrain ride away.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

I totally forgot I started this thread, thank god I didn't end up in Maple Ridge.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:50 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducktastic
I totally forgot I started this thread, thank god I didn't end up in Maple Ridge.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Oi. Piss off back to the uk.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:53 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Burnaby

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Prior to the construction work, 25-30 minutes form Grand Boulevard (N Van) to Guildford Town Centre, if you left before 7 am and you carpooled so could use the HOV lane.

Getting home was much worse. (I held the record in my office - 2h 15 min on the evening of the accident on the Port Mann while the Pattullo was shut and no HOV use as my carpool buddies were all off work.) Getting onto Hwy 1 from 152nd was usually painful (not sure if the new, "improved" highway and bridge will improve this) and the journey usually took at least 40 minutes, again carpooling and leaving before 4;30. A big concert or sporting event completely changes the picture (for the worse) in terms of getting through the Cassiar Connector.

AFAIK, the new Port Mann will be tolled - more cost on your commute to consider.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Oi. Piss off back to the uk.
Don't mind if I do