Manners.

Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manners.

Originally Posted by Tangram
Right place right time innit Des ?
Sigh. All those TV shows and crisp adverts that were mine by rights...

But who could possibly resent that cheeky boyish grin? Well played, son, well played.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lwilli63
spitting is considered acceptable behaviour in parts of the Far East and in parts of Spain,
It seems acceptable in Ontario. That's disturbed me since I arrived. There's a dedicated spitter near me in the office, hack, folap, ding, he goes all day. Mostly I'm in tune with the rhythm of it but, now and then, I hear hack folpap and no ding and I cry for the carpet cleaners.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It seems acceptable in Ontario. That's disturbed me since I arrived. There's a dedicated spitter near me in the office, hack, folap, ding, he goes all day. Mostly I'm in tune with the rhythm of it but, now and then, I hear hack folpap and no ding and I cry for the carpet cleaners.
OH and I have been trying to reproduce an acceptable "folap" with limited success.

Perhaps we're too well mannered?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:43 pm
Nil Desperandum Illegitim

lwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to behold

Seriously though, I would have thought the health and safety Gestapo would have something to say about that - a tubercular "lunger" on the carpet could start an epidemic.

Last edited by lwilli63; Apr 4th 2011 at 11:49 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
OH and I have been trying to reproduce an acceptable "folap" with limited success.

Perhaps we're too well mannered?
Perhaps there's a Laotian palate?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps there's a Laotian palate?
The Lao palate is accustomed to grilled or steamed foods--with relatively simple flavorings, and fresh, uncooked vegetables. Lao cuisine, which is very healthful, uses a relatively small variety of herbs and spices, with a particular and distinctive emphasis on garlic and galanga (not ginger, as has been asserted elsewhere).

That'll be it then.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:19 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Licking theknife at home and out of view is fine_ but in a restaurant may be pushing it! . I can't abide kids running round restaurants etc no please or thankyous and eating with mout open - god I hate the last one with a passion!
I hate it when people:

Yawn and do not cover their mouth;
Put their feet up on the seats on the bus;
Swear constantly;
Don't hold the door open;
Don't say please or thank you;
Spit all over the place - see so many girls doing it now as well - yuck

There are probably more but that will do for now ;0)

Last edited by AmyDavid; Apr 5th 2011 at 12:22 am.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:14 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

OOh I didnt know bout the Japanese and sniffing! I hate that at work and have been known to stuff a box of kleenex at people - !

PLease and thank you is just basic common courtesy.

I some times work front desk at the gym - not often as I do not have the patence for thos that have no manners - but sometimes if its busy Ihelp out . . .

Man walked up the other day looked at me and said "Tan!" I looked at him blankly so he said it again (cue my dawning realisation that orange roided oompaloompa in front of me wished to partake of one of our tanning booths)

I looked at him and then at my arm and responded "hmm, no, I think I am more golden than tan"

He then said, in quite an aggressive manner "No, I want a tan!" (you think??) Now , really this is like a red rag to a bull, in fact my manager walking past and grimmaced as I retorted in my beautifully clipped sarf LUndun accent:

"Yes, sir, I had established that you wished to use on of the tannning booths (i didnt say partake as it may have confused his roid sozzled mind) but I was waiting fro you to say please ." - Cue pleasant smile from me ..

Do you know what he said . . ."I dont say please and thankyou " Oh lordy, I nearly decked him with the bed cleaner!

I very nicely advised that he would therefore be standing there a rather long time until he started adding such words to his vocabularly.

He looked a bit stunned and then said "oh, sorry, please may I have a tan?"
and yes he could - . . . . .

What made the situation worse was that one of the sales team were ther and he turned round to me after and said "well you are in a service position and I wouldnt say please and tankyou either"

He got a pasting as to how rude that was and how ignorant it made him look and that his mother would be ashamed of his behaviour - he slunk away . . .

AAh I feel better now . . . . .
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:58 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
OOh I didnt know bout the Japanese and sniffing! I hate that at work and have been known to stuff a box of kleenex at people - !

PLease and thank you is just basic common courtesy.

I some times work front desk at the gym - not often as I do not have the patence for thos that have no manners - but sometimes if its busy Ihelp out . . .

Man walked up the other day looked at me and said "Tan!" I looked at him blankly so he said it again (cue my dawning realisation that orange roided oompaloompa in front of me wished to partake of one of our tanning booths)

I looked at him and then at my arm and responded "hmm, no, I think I am more golden than tan"

He then said, in quite an aggressive manner "No, I want a tan!" (you think??) Now , really this is like a red rag to a bull, in fact my manager walking past and grimmaced as I retorted in my beautifully clipped sarf LUndun accent:

"Yes, sir, I had established that you wished to use on of the tannning booths (i didnt say partake as it may have confused his roid sozzled mind) but I was waiting fro you to say please ." - Cue pleasant smile from me ..

Do you know what he said . . ."I dont say please and thankyou " Oh lordy, I nearly decked him with the bed cleaner!

I very nicely advised that he would therefore be standing there a rather long time until he started adding such words to his vocabularly.

He looked a bit stunned and then said "oh, sorry, please may I have a tan?"
and yes he could - . . . . .

What made the situation worse was that one of the sales team were ther and he turned round to me after and said "well you are in a service position and I wouldnt say please and tankyou either"

He got a pasting as to how rude that was and how ignorant it made him look and that his mother would be ashamed of his behaviour - he slunk away . . .

AAh I feel better now . . . . .
You to come to the Maritimes ( but avoid the Acadians ).
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with those on the spitting front, it happens a lot here (Toronto). I hated in when I was in the UK and still hate it now. I do realise that it is acceptable in Chinese culture and so if I'm in the Chinatown areas I grin and bear it, but if I can see that the spitter perhaps does not have a Chinese background, then I usually look their way and say outloud 'Errrr that's disgusting' and pull a suitably appalled face.

Maybe this is another thread - subway ettiquette perhaps- but there appears to be a genuine lack of understanding on how to use the subway. I'm from London originally so maybe my expectations of Toronto's subway are unfair, but these are the rules as I see them:

1. Upon seeing a train arrive, stand to the side of the opening doors and allow departing passengers to alight the train freely and with ease. Once ALL passengers have alighted, step onto the train. I really mean ALL passengers. Do not stand in front of the doors, blocking the exiting passengers, and then jostle your way through this tidal wave trying to get on. The doors will not shut whilst there are people still getting on/off. Be patient. (if you persistently find that people are stepping on before you can get off, do what I do and purposely step off into them, thus illustrating that they have not given you sufficient room to exit). Soon they will learn, and it makes you feel surprisingly better.

2. Once inside the train take an available seat, but be sure to offer it to someone elderly, pregnant or obviously in need of the seat more than you.

3. Upon entering the carriage do not stop dead once inside - shock horror there may be someone behind you also trying to get on, if you stop dead, you risk them being guillotined by the doors. Keep moving down the carriage, especially in busy periods, to allow for more people to get on. Do not stand right by the door.

4. Escalators - stand on one side, walk on the other. Choose one, stand on the right, walk on the left, I don't care, but choose one. Don't stand chatting to your mate blocking the path.

OK rant over.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
I agree with those on the spitting front, it happens a lot here (Toronto). I hated in when I was in the UK and still hate it now. I do realise that it is acceptable in Chinese culture and so if I'm in the Chinatown areas I grin and bear it, but if I can see that the spitter perhaps does not have a Chinese background, then I usually look their way and say outloud 'Errrr that's disgusting' and pull a suitably appalled face.
That appears a little racist to me. Surely if spitting is bad, it's bad for all.

I readily admit I do not understand the residents of Toronto
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the sort of cultural imperialism that seeks to impose western standards universally is more racist?

Its a good point that what we consider good and bad manners is not universally accepted around the world, and with so many people from around the world gathered in Canada it means sometimes you have to go with the flow. Im sure there are more than a few people appalled by westerners blowing their noses for example, or using handkerchiefs rather than tissues.

Still, a please or thank you and showing consideration for the people around you in general shouldnt be too much to expect.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is racist. I just happen to know that in the Chinese culture it is acceptable therefore I feel it is fair to be more accepting of it or at least not comment on it. Whereas in most western cultures it is frowned upon - hence the fact that most people here don't like it - and so I think you are within your rights to show disdain for it. I think it is just a case of understanding what is considered politeness in certain cultures may not necessarily reflect that of your own culture.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its a good point that what we consider good and bad manners is not universally accepted around the world, and with so many people from around the world gathered in Canada it means sometimes you have to go with the flow. Im sure there are more than a few people appalled by westerners blowing their noses for example, or using handkerchiefs rather than tissues.

IainK put it better than me! What he said!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.