Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

mandymoochops is getting married.....

mandymoochops is getting married.....

Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:11 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mandymoochops is getting married.....

Oh bloody hell - talk about curved ball

Just talked to his duckship (who comes home tomorrow ) and as guys do him and his brother have been chatting

ABOUT THE POSSIBILTY OF GOING TO VEGAS TO DO IT so if they are serious and not just thinking "sweet a guys weekend of gambling and strippers" - I have questions.

Most of you know the situation regarding my permit (ie its an owp tied to the ex and expires end of May of this year) i'm not working, but my question would be about returning to Canada should the wedding occur in Vegas?

Would they look upon it as being a bit suspect?
Is there a possibility they could refuse me entry?

I suppose they don't have to know that i've returned recently married, or indeed who everyone else is (likely to be brother and wife, and both Darcys parents)
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:50 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Oh bloody hell - talk about curved ball

Just talked to his duckship (who comes home tomorrow ) and as guys do him and his brother have been chatting

ABOUT THE POSSIBILTY OF GOING TO VEGAS TO DO IT so if they are serious and not just thinking "sweet a guys weekend of gambling and strippers" - I have questions.

Most of you know the situation regarding my permit (ie its an owp tied to the ex and expires end of May of this year) i'm not working, but my question would be about returning to Canada should the wedding occur in Vegas?

Would they look upon it as being a bit suspect?
Is there a possibility they could refuse me entry?

I suppose they don't have to know that i've returned recently married, or indeed who everyone else is (likely to be brother and wife, and both Darcys parents)
I believe that as you don't have PR you're still going to be classed as a visitor to Canada for US visiting purposes, so legally I don't believe Canada has to actually let you back in again (if the US lets you in there in the first place). Saying that, if you contact both the Canadian Border Services Agency and the US Customs and Border Protection, they should have the answers you require.

Here is some info for Brits getting married in Vegas. BTW, it's your day. Where would you prefer to get married?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:07 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I believe that as you don't have PR you're still going to be classed as a visitor to Canada for US visiting purposes, so legally I don't believe Canada has to actually let you back in again (if the US lets you in there in the first place). Saying that, if you contact both the Canadian Border Services Agency and the US Customs and Border Protection, they should have the answers you require.

Here is some info for Brits getting married in Vegas. BTW, it's your day. Where would you prefer to get married?
Cheers for the links Hookster, looks like it wouldn't be viable anyway - I note you need a change of name deed?

When I was born I was known by my birth dads name, my parents split when I was 6 months old and my mum married my step dad, who never legally adopted me - so the name on my birth certificate remains as "Smith" but all my life (even on national insurance number / passport etc) i've been known by my stepdads names of "Jones" (obviously not the real names )

A letter of explanation was fine for this for CIC when I applied for the twp and the name on this document too is "Jones"

I couldn't go all the way to Vegas and then not be able to do it.

Where would prefer to get married? Seriously it would be at his sisters I can't think of anything worse than being married in Vegas - it just screams tacky (apologies to those that have done it there). But its as much his day as it is mine.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:21 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the links Hookster, looks like it wouldn't be viable anyway - I note you need a change of name deed?

When I was born I was known by my birth dads name, my parents split when I was 6 months old and my mum married my step dad, who never legally adopted me - so the name on my birth certificate remains as "Smith" but all my life (even on national insurance number / passport etc) i've been known by my stepdads names of "Jones" (obviously not the real names )

A letter of explanation was fine for this for CIC when I applied for the twp and the name on this document too is "Jones"

I couldn't go all the way to Vegas and then not be able to do it.

Where would prefer to get married? Seriously it would be at his sisters I can't think of anything worse than being married in Vegas - it just screams tacky (apologies to those that have done it there). But its as much his day as it is mine.
Yeah, based on the name thing I'd say that even if you got to Vegas you'd have issues with paperwork there. It may be worth looking at what you'd need for a honeymoon there though. You'd have to book flights etc in your current name as all your documentation would still be in that name.

This may help.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:22 am
Sawdust making harpy

Have come to the conclusion that even if I did want to do it there, there's too many things that could go wrong.

And on top of that HELLO going to Vegas seems way to extravagant at the minute anyway!!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:24 am
Account Closed

Have come to the conclusion that even if I did want to do it there, there's too many things that could go wrong.

And on top of that HELLO going to Vegas seems way to extravagant at the minute anyway!!!!!
Excuses lol.

At least find out what you need to know for visiting the US.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:51 am
Sawdust making harpy

Excuses lol.

At least find out what you need to know for visiting the US.
Well i've just done the ESTA thing and been approved (obviously they don't HAVE to let you in but its a start!)

I'll email a couple of tacky - um I mean quaint little wedding places in Vegas to get their opinion.

Oh by the way - does anyone want my life - its bloody complicated
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Well i've just done the ESTA thing and been approved (obviously they don't HAVE to let you in but its a start!)

I'll email a couple of tacky - um I mean quaint little wedding places in Vegas to get their opinion.

Oh by the way - does anyone want my life - its bloody complicated
Good luck. Even if you don't get to do the wedding there, I figure the guys'll be happy enough for the honeymoon to be there (if Duck makes it out of the hotel room at all).
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:03 am
Sawdust making harpy

Good luck. Even if you don't get to do the wedding there, I figure the guys'll be happy enough for the honeymoon to be there (if Duck makes it out of the hotel room at all).
There cetainly won't be a honeymoon not at the moment!!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:14 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, although for immigration purposes I got a change of name deed done at the local solicitors back in the UK. It was a pretty standard form and took about 10 minutes and didn't cost much at all (less than 50 quid if I recall) - you might be able to find a friendly lawyer over here who could do something similar for you and then that's one hurdle knocked over!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:25 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, although for immigration purposes I got a change of name deed done at the local solicitors back in the UK. It was a pretty standard form and took about 10 minutes and didn't cost much at all (less than 50 quid if I recall) - you might be able to find a friendly lawyer over here who could do something similar for you and then that's one hurdle knocked over!
Thts a good point and and one worth noting. I do know of a friendly solicitor part time expat thats moved to Drumheller (Spoook if you're reading this i'll be emailing you in about 5 minutes!!!!!)

Although going through the websites of some of the chapels it seems that all they require for the marriage license is proof of i/d - which I have all in my normal name (ie my stepdads name).

Last edited by mandymoochops; Feb 17th 2010 at 5:33 am.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:42 am
Sawdust making harpy

actually some of those little wedding places don't look too bad, I may have to revise my tainted opinion of Elvis weddings and pale blue grooms suits

OK so have emailed aforementioned friendly solicitor for change of name.

Done the Esta thing

Just to talk to his lordship about the risks of being refused entry back to Canada and ways around it, i'm certainly not here illegally, so we could all just be friends coming back to Canada from a weekend away in vegas? That is actually true anyway ????
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:39 am
Sawdust making harpy

OK update time!!!!!

Having researched a little more I have decided that not all of the places in vegas are as tacky as some movies make them seem, there's some beautiful packages where you can get wed in the mountains etc!! So I thought i'd call Darcys sis in law to see what she thought of the whole idea.

So spoke to Darcys sis in law at length on the phone - her and her hubby (Ducks brother) have been planning this Vegas thing for a couple of days and mentioned it to Darcy tonight, who then ran the idea by me - which prompted my earlier questions!!!! I had no bloody idea the three of them had discussed this before and wanted to know what I would say to the idea before railroading with the plans!!!!!

They want to pay for the flights etc to Vegas and a honeymoon suite as a wedding gift, they are coming, and Darcys parents too, we'll hire the outfits (so I get to wear a proper dress!!!!!!!!) and most importantly I get to marry my babes in a truly amazing day to remember (not by Elvis!!!!!).

She's also tentatively arranged for someone to look after the animals.

For those that read the above and think it sounds as though they are taking over lol, you have to meet his family. Her rationale was that Darcy and I have been through so much crap recently that its the least they can do to make our day special, and that we all get to hang out together and just have fun for a few days amongst other things!!!

I am so goddam excited that I will not sleep tonight.

VIVA LAS VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:58 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

OK update time!!!!!

Having researched a little more I have decided that not all of the places in vegas are as tacky as some movies make them seem, there's some beautiful packages where you can get wed in the mountains etc!! So I thought i'd call Darcys sis in law to see what she thought of the whole idea.

So spoke to Darcys sis in law at length on the phone - her and her hubby (Ducks brother) have been planning this Vegas thing for a couple of days and mentioned it to Darcy tonight, who then ran the idea by me - which prompted my earlier questions!!!! I had no bloody idea the three of them had discussed this before and wanted to know what I would say to the idea before railroading with the plans!!!!!

They want to pay for the flights etc to Vegas and a honeymoon suite as a wedding gift, they are coming, and Darcys parents too, we'll hire the outfits (so I get to wear a proper dress!!!!!!!!) and most importantly I get to marry my babes in a truly amazing day to remember (not by Elvis!!!!!).

For those that read the above and think it sounds as though they are taking over lol, you have to meet his family. Her rationale was that Darcy and I have been through so much crap recently that its the least they can do to make our day special, and that we all get to hang out together and just have fun for a few days amongst other things!!!

Oh YAY! This sounds so friggin fantastic! I even got a tear in my eye.
You are going to have the most amazing time, and it sounds like you couldn't have found yourself a better family. How cool is that!!?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

OK update time!!!!!

I watched my nephews wedding from Vagas on the internet and taped it wohoo it was amasing just remember people can watch live before the ceromony so remember to behave hun, sounds amasing hope it all goes ok xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.