Wikiposts

Madness on the road

Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Madness on the road

Couldn't believe what happened yesterday morning, I could easily have collided with an oncoming vehicle and luckily I noticed soon enough.

I was travelling North on Highway 2 (single carriageway) heading towards Athabasca following a truck. Sneaked a look around the truck and saw the tail lights of a car in the opposite direction lane, thought if he's out down there then plenty of room for me to overtake the truck.

So I start to pull out and think, hang on those tail lights are getting closer.

The lights I was looking at were red lights around the bumper area AT THE FRONT of an oncoming car, whose main lights were off!!!!!!!

Can't be legal, what a effing idiot!!!!!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:00 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Madness on the road

Originally Posted by PeterF
Couldn't believe what happened yesterday morning, I could easily have collided with an oncoming vehicle and luckily I noticed soon enough.

I was travelling North on Highway 2 (single carriageway) heading towards Athabasca following a truck. Sneaked a look around the truck and saw the tail lights of a car in the opposite direction lane, thought if he's out down there then plenty of room for me to overtake the truck.

So I start to pull out and think, hang on those tail lights are getting closer.

The lights I was looking at were red lights around the bumper area AT THE FRONT of an oncoming car, whose main lights were off!!!!!!!

Can't be legal, what a effing idiot!!!!!
No that is not legal. Too bad you were unable to get a license plate number or general description.

But those kinds of things happen so fast it's virtually impossible.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:06 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ive seen very dark smoked headlite covers on some trucks that make them look black when the lights are off. Ive often wondered what they are like when the lights are on...

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question...9105524AAKahVD

Not sure how wise it is to decide to overtake based on the fact that a car in front thinks it safe to do so... I like to make my own mind up about these things, Ive seen canadians drive!

Last edited by iaink; Sep 14th 2011 at 7:23 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:38 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Ive seen very dark smoked headlite covers on some trucks that make them look black when the lights are off. Ive often wondered what they are like when the lights are on...

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0122_large.jpg

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question...9105524AAKahVD

Not sure how wise it is to decide to overtake based on the fact that a car in front thinks it safe to do so... I like to make my own mind up about these things, Ive seen canadians drive!
I don't understand what the problem is. You think all cars on the road should have their headlamps on at all times? Sure, modern vehicles in Canada have mandated running lights but it's certainly not true for older cars or cars that are here on vacation from the US for example. How did you manage to overtake in the UK where there are no mandated daytime running lights?

Last edited by GavinR; Sep 14th 2011 at 7:39 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I thought all cars in Canada needed running lights regardless?

The folks who went on a weekend trip up there and who, like myself had yanked the fuse on the running lights, were pulled over for not having running lights on, even with Maine plates. They only got a warning though.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:47 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
I don't understand what the problem is. You think all cars on the road should have their headlamps on at all times? Sure, modern vehicles in Canada have mandated running lights but it's certainly not true for older cars or cars that are here on vacation from the US for example. How did you manage to overtake in the UK where there are no mandated daytime running lights?
Eh? I think youve midunderstood me
Presumably very dark lens covers are going to alter the light coming out of the headlights was my point.(perhaps explaining the red front lights the OP saw?) I dont know if they are legal or not. AFAIK Yellow fogs arent, so I dont see why they would be, but its nothing to do with DRLs.

I overtook in the UK by looking ahead to see if A: there was enough of a straight to see far enough ahead and B: a gap in the traffic. Just cos the car ahead is going for it doesnt mean that its safe for me, I like to see that its clear and that there is somewhere for me to go once Im past the slowpoke.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 14th 2011 at 7:55 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:47 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

The folks who went on a weekend trip up there and who, like myself had yanked the fuse on the running lights, were pulled over for not having running lights on, even with Maine plates. They only got a warning though.
Why on earth would you pull the fuse?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:48 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Bob

In theory yes, but I dont see why they are pulling over non canadian plated vehicles, thats just retarded. Revenue generation? but then why just a warning if thats the case.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 14th 2011 at 7:53 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
The problem wasn't the main lights were off (although it was early morning on a country road and not yet fully light).

THE PROBLEM WAS THE LIGHTS THAT WERE ON WERE RED

Which made it appear from distance to be the back of the car.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:50 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Eh? I think youve midunderstood me
I was replying to the OP, sorry hadn't realised I'd quoted you!

Last edited by GavinR; Sep 14th 2011 at 7:58 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:50 am
Meh

The problem wasn't the main lights were off (although it was early morning on a country road and not yet fully light).

Probably here from the US then
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:51 am
Meh

Nope, not older cars before the legislation came in or vehicles visiting from another country.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:54 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I have daytime running lights on my minivan. They are not white, they is yellow. Very easy to stick red bulbs in if you wanted to.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:56 am
Meh

Some of the amber lights can be very red-ish.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Why on earth would you pull the fuse?
Because we don't need running lights in the US, so rather save the bulb and have them off until we need to put lights on, rather than them on all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.