Madame Tussauds

Old Dec 16th 2006, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Madame Tussauds

I'm going to England for a holiday in April some time with my son and granddaughter. My granddaughter really wants to go to Madame Tussauds. Rick Steeves, the travel guy, says its expensive "but dang good". I checked and it looked like for the three of us it would cost the equivalent of $150 for the day.

Somewhere or other on the Internet I found an offer that was cheaper, it was Madame Tussauds and the London Eye. Does anyone else know of any websites that would give us a break on Madame Tussauds. I would really like to go on the London Eye. I am scared of heights but I think I could handle that - probably better than going up the Eiffel Tower in an elevator - I am not keen on fast trips skyward!

My son said he didn't want to spend ages on the London Eye but I think it only takes half an hour doesn't it?

Any tips gratefully received!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 5:21 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madame Tussauds

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I'm going to England for a holiday in April some time with my son and granddaughter. My granddaughter really wants to go to Madame Tussauds. Rick Steeves, the travel guy, says its expensive "but dang good". I checked and it looked like for the three of us it would cost the equivalent of $150 for the day.

Somewhere or other on the Internet I found an offer that was cheaper, it was Madame Tussauds and the London Eye. Does anyone else know of any websites that would give us a break on Madame Tussauds. I would really like to go on the London Eye. I am scared of heights but I think I could handle that - probably better than going up the Eiffel Tower in an elevator - I am not keen on fast trips skyward!

My son said he didn't want to spend ages on the London Eye but I think it only takes half an hour doesn't it?

Any tips gratefully received!
Yes a "flight" (as they call it) on the London eye is about half an hour and well worth it. But Madame Tussauds? WHY??? Really, what's the attraction? Why do so many people who visit London, one of the world's greatest cities (if not THE greatest) for culture, art, history, and entertainment seem to put paying a fortune to gawp at a load of wax dummies top of their to do list. I will never understand this.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
...seem to put paying a fortune to gawp at a load of wax dummies top of their to do list. I will never understand this.
Agreed, the cost becomes almost prohibitive so I hate to think what it would cost to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower. I was at Madame Tussauds in 1979 and the Eiffel Tower twice, in 1968 and 1953.

I seem to recall that many years ago both were reasonably priced.

I thought Tussauds was excellent but I enjoyed the Tower of London more.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the British Museum instead.

It's free and infinitely more interesting.

Your granddaughter will love the Egyptian mummies, and much else besides.

PS: Agree with MM - the Tower is another must!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:51 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
If your family in the UK collect "clubcard" points from Tesco or Nectar (Sainsburys) it is often cheaper to redeem their points for vouchers for these types of attractions - you can get a tussauds annual pass which also covers chessington, alton towers and warwick castel i think.

Also, for 2 for 1 London attractions check this site out:
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/
you can 2 for 1 entry to a lot of attractions up town if you have a rail ticket.

Cheers
Flossie
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, to tell you the truth, I would never both with Madame Tussauds. I would rather go to any one of the free museums. I do, however, draw the line at the Tate Modern! It's just not my style of art. My son and his wife both have Fine Arts degrees and my son wanted to go there. The building was spectacular I have to admit, but I don't think that a square of cindercrete blocks would qualify as art. Well, it was actually two layers of blocks - maybe not cindercrete - but they sure as heck looked like it to me. I would go to the Tate though.

I am actually trying to talk her out of it. St. Pauls would be better value for money in my opinion. I haven't been to the Victoria and Albert for years. I would prefer that. I have absolutely no idea why she decided she wanted to go to Madame Tussauds - I think it's a waste of money. Rick Steeves may think its good, but then he has pots of money and I don't. I guess if my son and his daughter wanted to spend their money, I wouldn't have to go in with them.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

... was spectacular I have to admit, but I don't think that a square of cindercrete blocks would qualify as art. Well, it was actually two layers of blocks - maybe not cindercrete - b't. I guess if my son and his daughter wanted to spend their money, I wouldn't have to go in with them.
Then I doubt whether you will be impressed with 'voice of fire' for which we all paid close to two million dollars in 1989 (a lot of money back in those days). I recall being scandalized when it was purchased, yet others insisted we got a bargain.

Go figure

http://temagami.carleton.ca/jmc/cnews/22101999/c1c.htm
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

London Dungeon, it's on tower bridge, it's much cheaper and a lot more fun...seriously, better value for money....and you don't have to queue for hours to get inside.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 1:59 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing the appeal to the granddaughter is mostly with being able to take loads of photographs with "famous" people, albiet wax ones... thats what would appeal to me if I were a teenager again anyway
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Daedra
take loads of photographs with "famous" people, albiet wax ones...
Can someone please explain to me the difference?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 5:19 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pint princess
Can someone please explain to me the difference?
The "wax" versions make for pretty candles
Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually, that Day's Out link was really useful. I might go to Madame Tussauds if we got a two for one price!

Thanks for the tip.

Actually, your name (Flossie) reminded me of a cute story that has absolutely nothing to do with Madame Tussauds!!

My nephew's three year old is also called Flossie. She was to be a horse in the Nativity Play. She came home and said to her Mom that she was going to be a dog instead, becuase she had the costume! Her Mom said "You don't have a dog costume!" "Yes I do - I was Scooby Doo at Halloween!"

So Flossie went back to play school and announced that she was going to be Scooby Doo in the Nativity Play. Whereupon the boy who was to be Joseph, decided he would far rather wear his Spiderman outfit! So now they have Scooby, Spiderman, and the three Wise Queens - because there weren't enough boys!!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 12:22 am
Senile Member

Actually, that Day's Out link was really useful. I might go to Madame Tussauds if we got a two for one price!

Thanks for the tip.

Actually, your name (Flossie) reminded me of a cute story that has absolutely nothing to do with Madame Tussauds!!

My nephew's three year old is also called Flossie. She was to be a horse in the Nativity Play. She came home and said to her Mom that she was going to be a dog instead, becuase she had the costume! Her Mom said "You don't have a dog costume!" "Yes I do - I was Scooby Doo at Halloween!"

So Flossie went back to play school and announced that she was going to be Scooby Doo in the Nativity Play. Whereupon the boy who was to be Joseph, decided he would far rather wear his Spiderman outfit! So now they have Scooby, Spiderman, and the three Wise Queens - because there weren't enough boys!!
Thank god you clarified that last bit, I was shocked at first thinking the boys knew WAY too much too soon
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:10 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tip.

LOL!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, to tell you the truth, I would never both with Madame Tussauds. I would rather go to any one of the free museums. I do, however, draw the line at the Tate Modern! It's just not my style of art. My son and his wife both have Fine Arts degrees and my son wanted to go there. The building was spectacular I have to admit, but I don't think that a square of cindercrete blocks would qualify as art. Well, it was actually two layers of blocks - maybe not cindercrete - but they sure as heck looked like it to me. I would go to the Tate though.

I am actually trying to talk her out of it. St. Pauls would be better value for money in my opinion. I haven't been to the Victoria and Albert for years. I would prefer that. I have absolutely no idea why she decided she wanted to go to Madame Tussauds - I think it's a waste of money. Rick Steeves may think its good, but then he has pots of money and I don't. I guess if my son and his daughter wanted to spend their money, I wouldn't have to go in with them.

Actually, they have all sorts there and the building is spectacular - you wouldn't get the sense of it from pictures - it has sheer scale inside. I went there when there was a light depicting the sun and clouds and it really was fab - failing to describe this properly.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...063863,00.html

I also walked the river up the South Bank and there are interesting shops and galleries in places like the OXO building.

Covent Garden and Camden Market are good for crafts and little shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.