Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Lower Mainland Climate Info

Lower Mainland Climate Info

Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:21 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lower Mainland Climate Info

I noted a few comments of late along the lines of it always rains here, worse than the UK, London gets less rainy days etc...Here are some figures that may be of interest to some heading to the Lower Mainland:

Comparisons to London (and the south east) are misleading, as there is a tendency in the UK to cite only rain fall greater than 1 mm. If one looks at the attached map from the Met Office, the driest part of the UK (south east) gets min 144 days when using greater than 0.20 mm. In the case of London, if rain fall greater only than 1 mm is used, it ends up with something like 120 days of rain if 0.20 mm is used it is around 145 days. All rain fall data for Canada uses the internationally recognized greater than 0.20 mm.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ukmapavge.html

Of interest, rain fall variance in the UK tends to be an east west divide and not a north south one as many assume. In fact, much of the west coast gets rain fall higher or equal to Vancouver with higher total number of days of rain fall. Areas of the Lake District are amongst the wettest with in excess of 2000 mm and around 240 days of rain annually.

In terms of total rain days, London is about the same as Vancouver proper. In fact, areas of the city experience less rainy days than London, although total rain fall is about twice:

http://climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/c...h1=0&month2=12

Although the southern regions of the LMD are a bit less with higher elevations north of the Fraser getting more. Rainfall in winter and late fall though is considerably heavier than the South East, although not much more frequent.

Nature of rain patterns are dissimilar, however, to the UK. With rain fall and total days of rain being heavier in late fall and winter and arid like in the summer months with regular drought conditions in the late summer months. City hall experiences around 50 plus days of rain of a total of 127 between November and February .Typically about 50 percent of all rain falls in these months for the region. Victoria, which has less annual rain than London (583 mm), has fully 60 percent of all annual rain fall between these months, with only around 300 mm falling between the start of March and the beginning of November.

Of interest, as previously noted, the area around Vancouver’s City Hall gets as many as 20 plus less rain days than Coal Harbour which is only a few miles further north with only 127 days of greater than 0.20 mm, while Coal harbour is 155 days. The LMD has a very unusual weather pattern of micro climates. The further north one is, a greater volume of rain is experienced., due to higher elevations and proximity to the mountains, although the total number of precipitation days does not tend to exceed around 185 the same as Manchester in the North West of the UK), even in the wettest areas. Also being right on the coast can also result in more days with measurable precipitation, as I suspect is the case with City Hall vs. Coal Harbour (see also UBC).

Those coming to Vancouver this year would be forgiven in believing that it rains all the time, as we are in a La Nina year. Spring received 40 percent more rain, 50 percent less sunshine and about 2-3 degrees cooler temperatures than is typical. Worst recorded weather in over 50 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a

As for annual sunshine, the Lower Mainland gets more than the South East, with as much as 300 hours more during the summer months. Victoria gets an impressive 2200 hours and measurable sunshine on 316 days a year, with the southern regions of the LMD likely being not far behind. As with rainfall, there is more sunshine in the summer months compared to the winter months. Roughly 15 percent of all annual sunshine occurs during late fall/winter with the other 85 percent (or around 1600 hours) occurring between the start of March through to the start of November.

The North west of England is around 1500 hours and London around 1600, but with the vast majority of the west coast getting around 1400 hours annually . The average for the west coast of Scotland is a only around 1100 hours or less per year.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lower Mainland Climate Info

WOW, you need to get a life or a job.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:18 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin View Post
Lol

Could do with sharing some of that with us in the GTA. We got a soccer torni this weekend and the ground is rock hard. The grass is also starting to turn brown.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:04 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin View Post
All i can say is 2632 posts......besides, cut and paste is hardly a great deal of effort.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d View Post
All i can say is 2632 posts......besides, cut and paste is hardly a great deal of effort.
You are on thin ice criticising posters for numbers of posts

The number 3054 probably doesnt ring any bells, but just cos an account is closed doesnt mean the info isnt still there. Besides, I have FAR more than that
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink View Post

The number 3054 probably doesnt ring any bells, but just cos an account is closed doesnt mean the info isnt still there. Besides, I have FAR more than that
the suggestion was i had nowt better to do/ had no job...which may or may not be true....bit like calling the kettle black is it not. I don't care if one has 3k or 300 k, it has nothing to do with me. It was a contextual comment with tounge placed firmly in cheek....i would have thought that were obvious.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:16 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Boy D - are you a now dyslexic ex member?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care for all this quantitative methodological analysis when it comes to something so subjective as meteorology. I prefer a normative case-study approach, so really all I can say is, it's been pretty chilly and rainy in Vancouver this year.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink View Post

and your point is what ????
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon View Post
why would he be ????
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:57 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie View Post
why would he be ????
why wouldnt he?
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
I don't care for all this quantitative methodological analysis when it comes to something so subjective as meteorology. I prefer a normative case-study approach, so really all I can say is, it's been pretty chilly and rainy in Vancouver this year.
yes it has....mind you I was in mission a few days ago, stuck in a bloody field (long story) and got eaten alive by mosis and it was around 28 degrees.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d View Post
yes it has....mind you I was in mission a few days ago, stuck in a bloody field (long story) and got eaten alive by mosis and it was around 28 degrees.
Went for a walk by the river a couple of days ago and the mosquitoes were all over the place. I picked up my first ever bite so I can no longer say I've never been bitten and I can also no longer be quite so blase about never using insect repellent
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

it's bloody cold today.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon View Post
I believe it too be so! Welcome back!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.