Lonely in Cochrane

Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lonely in Cochrane

Originally Posted by Shard
Discouraged, your avatar certainly "does what it says on the tin"! Sorry to hear about your situation, but I am wondering could the problem be with you and your expectations? Its hard to believe everyone is as "cold as ice" especially after five years. Sometimes it dies come down to the particular circles (work, neighbourhood, etc) that you end up in. I read that RW quote too but had to think about the validity if it. Probably something he said during a bout of depression so don't read too much into it.
Hi Shard,

My profession is such that I can't afford to have too many expectations of people - I have to be open-minded and take as I find. However, over and over again I have come across what I've described, and each time I've tried to move on hoping for and expecting better, and better has never come. According to the definition of insanity that I once read I must be insane, as I keep repeating the same action over and over again expecting a different result.

I too had a long think about RW's quote. Depressed or not, I still think he got it spot on.

All the best, D.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discouraged
Hello Donnykins,

I very much empathise with you, and agree with much of what has been said already on this thread. I'm also in Cochrane, and have faced the same problems. I particularly identify with anne m's comment:

"...you will go through several disappointments with people who promise a lot and don' t deliver. And that does apply to the Canadian appear-very-friendly people too, but who mostly never live up to all their "we must get together" talk."

I have found Canadians generally to be, superficially, very warm and friendly but, I'm sorry to say, as cold as ice underneath when you try to make friendships or get too close. I'm not ashamed to admit it - I'm lonely too. I have been let down time and time again by people, both locally and particularly at work in the city, who have talked the talk about being friends but have ultimately shown that they have no such intention. I've found this very hard to deal with, coming as I do from a part of the world where, generally speaking, people are for better or for worse "what it says on the tin". Maybe I'm too trusting, maybe I'm a worse judge of character than I thought, maybe I'm a misfit, but after 5 years I have to conclude that such is the culture here in Canada, it's not for me and with great sadness I am now looking to return home.

I saw a quote attributed to the late Robin Williams the other day, and was struck how well it describes my current situation:

"I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."

Donnykins, I truly hope that you find the friendships that will bring you the happiness and contentment that you seek.
That's really such a shame. I am sorry that you have not experienced good friendships here yet.

I think people have to bear in mind that most Canadians (just as we mostly did in the UK) developed friendships over a number of years; some will have been friends since school or college or uni days (or hockeyteam days), so you are trying to break into established relationships which is never an easy thing to do. We are the outsiders here and we would probably do a similar thing ('we must get together') to comparitive strangers in the UK. It takes time to build a friendship and perhaps you have been unlucky to not meet people that are open to starting new ones.

I have been very fortunate and have several Canadian friends, one of whom is one of the best friends I have ever had and has been there for me through thick and thin, so to generalise and say that they are all cold and unfriendly is a bit of a misnomer, imho.

I hope you find someone you can relate to and be friends with soon, whatever nationality they are. It's no fun being lonely.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 19th 2014 at 6:51 am.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:08 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shard,

My profession is such that I can't afford to have too many expectations of people - I have to be open-minded and take as I find. However, over and over again I have come across what I've described, and each time I've tried to move on hoping for and expecting better, and better has never come. According to the definition of insanity that I once read I must be insane, as I keep repeating the same action over and over again expecting a different result.

I too had a long think about RW's quote. Depressed or not, I still think he got it spot on.

All the best, D.
Discouraged, your join date on this forum is impressive! Why so few posts? Upthread someone said there were quite a few Brits in Cochrane, and I wonder if you had made any attempts at making friends with people from "home". As Siouxie said, it's not easy, but it is possible. I wonder if there is something you are doing or not doing that is keeping you discouraged. I know your second quotation too (insanity) and again, suggest it's not a good one to dwell upon.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I have found Canadians generally to be, superficially, very warm and friendly but, I'm sorry to say, as cold as ice underneath when you try to make friendships or get too close. I'm not ashamed to admit it - I'm lonely too. I have been let down time and time again by people, both locally and particularly at work in the city, who have talked the talk about being friends but have ultimately shown that they have no such intention. I've found this very hard to deal with, coming as I do from a part of the world where, generally speaking, people are for better or for worse "what it says on the tin". Maybe I'm too trusting, maybe I'm a worse judge of character than I thought, maybe I'm a misfit, but after 5 years I have to conclude that such is the culture here in Canada, it's not for me and with great sadness I am now looking to return home..
This is my experience too but in the UK. I think it actually puts me in quite a good position for emigrating as I'm not really leaving friends or some fantastic social life behind & I have no expectations for such things in Canada. I put it down to being a forgettable person who people aren't bothered about staying friends with.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
This is my experience too but in the UK. I think it actually puts me in quite a good position for emigrating as I'm not really leaving friends or some fantastic social life behind & I have no expectations for such things in Canada. I put it down to being a forgettable person who people aren't bothered about staying friends with.
Oh dear confused-uk, that's not a good start is it. Don't label yourself in that way. In Canada you will find there is much less tolerance for 'melancholy' - almost an expectation that you act happy and positive. It can be wearing for Europeans who may not be that way inclined. On the other hand, you may find the positivity brings you out of your shell.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:56 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Lonely in Cochrane

Hi donations, my wife felt the same way when we moved to Ontario 2 1/2 years ago. The difference is we have no school age kids to help make friends. We started a meetup group ( see my signature) and we have made a lot of friends through that. Obviously our one won't help you but look to see if there are any I your area. Good luck
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:45 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

It can be hard to make friends to start with but it will happen. We lived in NS and I found getting involved at the kids school with PTA type events helped - as you never get to see another parent what with them all heading off on the bus!

I have made a nice bunch of friends now though I am wary of making friends with people who have gone through similar experiences as me - i.e immigrating as that can tend to be the only thing you really have in common. I have had some weird experiences with some people I would most definitely not been friends with back in the UK!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 7:17 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Confused that can't be true, you obviously just haven't found your fit. You might be moving on but hopefully to a place where you can find some friends of you so wish. Some people are happy with their own company. Maybe you can figure out all the things you like doing and make sure you start doing them when you move.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear confused-uk, that's not a good start is it. Don't label yourself in that way. In Canada you will find there is much less tolerance for 'melancholy' - almost an expectation that you act happy and positive. It can be wearing for Europeans who may not be that way inclined. On the other hand, you may find the positivity brings you out of your shell.
Yeah I have no idea how I'm going to be socially in Canada, maybe they won't pick up on my awkwardness. My problem is I'm very laid back, I'm never really happy or really sad just in the middle all the time which I think some people find boring or a bit cold. I do have other qualities that I think others tend to lack like reliability & eagerness to help others unfortunately these things don't seem to matter to some & they would much rather their shallow friends they can have fun getting drunk with. Sorry that started to turn into a rant.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ah Confused that can't be true, you obviously just haven't found your fit. You might be moving on but hopefully to a place where you can find some friends of you so wish. Some people are happy with their own company. Maybe you can figure out all the things you like doing and make sure you start doing them when you move.
I am quite happy in my own company & my husband & I do everything together so I'm not lonely or anything, I kind of just like to analyse the situation. It would be nice to make some friends but I can't see it affecting me if I don't.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:58 am
Yo

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Yeah I have no idea how I'm going to be socially in Canada, maybe they won't pick up on my awkwardness. My problem is I'm very laid back, I'm never really happy or really sad just in the middle all the time which I think some people find boring or a bit cold. I do have other qualities that I think others tend to lack like reliability & eagerness to help others unfortunately these things don't seem to matter to some & they would much rather their shallow friends they can have fun getting drunk with. Sorry that started to turn into a rant.
Hmmm. On the plus side, many Canadians are laid back, and there is far less emphasis on drinking. Just avoid self-deprecating humour, it's totally misunderstood.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Hmmm. On the plus side, many Canadians are laid back, and there is far less emphasis on drinking. Just avoid self-deprecating humour, it's totally misunderstood.
Haha, I'll try
Old Aug 21st 2014, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I have PM'd the OP and will meet up soon as I live pretty close.

I have to add my 2 cents in here. Yes some Canadians are all friendly and put the brakes on and come across like they are willing to be your friend and then aren't but they aren't all like that.

I have a close knit group of friends (from son's school) all Canadian and all lovely genuine women who look out for each other. There are a couple that I am very close to so not all Canadians are bland and shallow. Some yes but so are some Brits!

Keep trying OP. You'll get there - it's hard to make friends.