British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   London Riots (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/london-riots-727880/)

Alan2005 Aug 8th 2011 6:06 am

Re: London Riots

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9545248)
Such as?

Their friends getting shot dead by the police. Even if they are scum and they deserved it.

el_richo Aug 8th 2011 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9545261)
Their friends getting shot dead by the police. Even if they are scum and they deserved it.

From what i read, the friends and family had a peaceful protest. It's the opportunistic wankers that ruin things.

That said, i've not really looked at it all in much detail cos i'm not really bothered unless they kick off near my property ;)

Alan2005 Aug 8th 2011 6:14 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9545270)
That said, i've not really looked at it all in much detail cos i'm not really bothered unless they kick off near my property ;)

I think that sums up my attitude to things like this perfectly. As I'm not affected I can just watch the chaos from afar and occasionally comment on it without knowing all the facts.

el_richo Aug 8th 2011 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9545276)
I think that sums up my attitude to things like this perfectly. As I'm not affected I can just watch the chaos from afar and occasionally comment on it without knowing all the facts.

It's the best place to be :thumbsup:

I blame the unemployed black muslim student gingers :thumbdown:

Boy d Aug 8th 2011 6:42 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9545270)
From what i read, the friends and family had a peaceful protest. It's the opportunistic wankers that ruin things.

what are they protesting. Duggan shot first, hitting a member in his radio. He took on the met and lost.

Given that it was armed police in the UK attemping to arrest him, they must have good intel that he was armed.

dbd33 Aug 8th 2011 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Boy d (Post 9545324)
what are they protesting. Duggan shot first, hitting a member in his radio.

Did Duggan have a stolen police issue gun then? According to the Graun the bullet in the radio was from a police weapon.

On edit: The position of the police is that an officer shot at Duggan twice, one of the bullets either missed or passed through him ending up in the radio, the other lodged in him. He is not claimed to have fired but was carrying a weapon adapted to fire live ammunition. His death doesn't seem a great loss to the world but, as noted above, the police do seem rather overkeen on killing members of the public.

JamesM Aug 8th 2011 6:55 am

The Met are starting to look like they don't have a clue what to do. Rioters are out in force again tonight.

By all accounts the Police are no where in site.

Dare I say it......but the Police in Vancouver did a better job......

Jingsamichty Aug 8th 2011 7:22 am

The looting is a bit chavvy, they should be setting fire to police stations, banks and MPs houses.

JamesM Aug 8th 2011 7:27 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9545329)
Did Duggan have a stolen police issue gun then? According to the Graun the bullet in the radio was from a police weapon.

On edit: The position of the police is that an officer shot at Duggan twice, one of the bullets either missed or passed through him ending up in the radio, the other lodged in him. He is not claimed to have fired but was carrying a weapon adapted to fire live ammunition. His death doesn't seem a great loss to the world but, as noted above, the police do seem rather overkeen on killing members of the public.

Apparently 333 in Police Custody have died since 1998 and not one Policeman charged.

Almost Canadian Aug 8th 2011 7:31 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 9545414)
Apparently 333 in Police Custody have died since 1998 and not one Policeman charged.

One wonders how many in custody would have died but for the actions of police officers during the same period;)

Oink Aug 8th 2011 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9545406)
The looting is a bit chavvy, they should be setting fire to police stations, banks and MPs houses.

Good call on the chaviness of looting. They should be spraying buses with ironic and clever situationist slogans.

el_richo Aug 8th 2011 7:33 am

Does it give any indication as to the causes of death?

Jingsamichty Aug 8th 2011 7:37 am

We need some heads on sticks. If 'regrettable collateral damage' is tolerated elsewhere for the greater good, it should be tolerated here too.

JamesM Aug 8th 2011 8:15 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9545426)
Does it give any indication as to the causes of death?

Nope. My source was the Guardian who are really going after the Met now.

JamesM Aug 8th 2011 8:32 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 9545492)
Nope. My source was the Guardian who are really going after the Met now.

It's actually pretty serious now.

There are disturbances in Ealing and Croydon and it is beyond Police control...... My facebook is going crazy from contacts in London.

People are just turning up looting where ever they can.