British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   London Riots (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/london-riots-727880/)

KerinaK2008 Aug 8th 2011 3:57 am

London Riots

I am not sure if anyone is moving back to this area soon. But def something to be aware of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14442935

This makes me so sad. Such a disgrace, do these people have no shame? Givng London a real bad name. I was born and raised in North and East London and watching this on tv has brought me close to tears. It really is disgusting.

Me and hubby were planning to move back to the Uk by 2013. Ideally it was going to be out of London anyway. But with all this going on, it is very unlikely to be London at all. It's scarey.. guess we are staying put for now..

Howefamily Aug 8th 2011 4:01 am

Re: London Riots

we have just left the south east of England and I have to say that I am really glad we did. Obviously these riots are not part of normal life there but normal life we found seems to be full of thugs and mindless violence, all in the quest to be "cool" or fit in with other teens.
Not all people are like that at all, but I could no longer walk down the road at night without encountering aggressive, foul mouthed teens and that just got me down. And we lived in a "nice" town.

Oink Aug 8th 2011 4:06 am

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008 (Post 9544949)
I am not sure if anyone is moving back to this area soon. But def something to be aware of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14442935

This makes me so sad. Such a disgrace, do these people have no shame? Givng London a real bad name. I was born and raised in North and East London and watching this on tv has brought me close to tears. It really is disgusting.

Me and hubby were planning to move back to the Uk by 2013. Ideally it was going to be out of London anyway. But with all this going on, it is very unlikely to be London at all. It's scarey.. guess we are staying put for now..

Have you ever thought that "these people" might have legitimate grievances that can't be addressed through the state apparatus?

KerinaK2008 Aug 8th 2011 4:14 am

What is violence and looting going to solve? It is only damaging the communities even more. The economy is already fragile. This is only hurting local businesses, more people out of jobs and loss of confidence in the communities.

dbd33 Aug 8th 2011 4:21 am

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008 (Post 9544949)

Perhaps people who lack access to newspapers will have been alerted to this by the other thread.

We were in London yesterday and had dinner with someone who has recently emigrated there from Toronto. "These people" weren't mentioned but I was warned of a problem I hadn't previously considered; the "bicycle rush hour" is such that someone wanting to cycle for pleasure is well advised to avoid going out at that time. I blame Red Ken. Beyond this, the problem causing most concern was the old one, a one bedroom flat costs half a million pounds in unfashionable Limehouse and much much more in inexplicably trendy Wapping, these prices were a jolt to someone used to being an ersatz Eastender on the Danforth. Plus ca change then.

Oink Aug 8th 2011 4:24 am

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008 (Post 9544979)
What is violence and looting going to solve? It is only damaging the communities even more. The economy is already fragile. This is only hurting local businesses, more people out of jobs and loss of confidence in the communities.

You see a lot of similarites to these so-called riots. Cultural or ethnic tensions build between the dominant and minority communities and finally the minority community frustration builds to a point where violence breaks out. I'm not an expert in social disturbances but see very similar patterns, whether its in the US, France or the UK. And of course its not ideal for either side, but it happens and unless we understand why, it'll keep happening.

el_richo Aug 8th 2011 4:35 am

One of "these" threads, and it's only Tuesday :thumbsup:

Riots in Vancouver
Murders in Edmonton
Riots in London
White Supremacists in Calgary
People's suggestion that you cannot walk the streets without mindless violence
Blah

The vast majority of people are unaffected and shouldn't make a decision solely based on any of it. If you do, you're an idiot.

Alan2005 Aug 8th 2011 4:52 am

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008 (Post 9544979)
What is violence and looting going to solve?

It might make the coppers a bit less likely to shoot first next time.

dbd33 Aug 8th 2011 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9545083)
It might make the coppers a bit less likely to shoot first next time.

Do we know why the police originally stopped the car containing the shooting victim? The news reports seem vague on that point.

Alan2005 Aug 8th 2011 5:16 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9545101)
Do we know why the police originally stopped the car containing the shooting victim? The news reports seem vague on that point.

They do - and the police will probably revealed that the victim shot first. Still, the met has form in shooting people dead and then lying about it afterwards.

el_richo Aug 8th 2011 5:45 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9545101)

He was wearing a hoodie.

And i read he was a drug dealer and gang member under surveillance and they were looking to take the mother****er down and clean the streets.

lmartin999 Aug 8th 2011 5:45 am

Seems Waitrose in Islington has closed early.....

lmartin999 Aug 8th 2011 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9545002)
Cultural or ethnic tensions build between the dominant and minority communities and finally the minority community frustration builds to a point where violence breaks out.

Like expats and cradles?

JamesM Aug 8th 2011 5:57 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9545037)
One of "these" threads, and it's only Tuesday :thumbsup:

Riots in Vancouver
Murders in Edmonton
Riots in London
White Supremacists in Calgary
People's suggestion that you cannot walk the streets without mindless violence
Blah

The vast majority of people are unaffected and shouldn't make a decision solely based on any of it. If you do, you're an idiot.

It's the second this week. Following the "Riots in Tottenham" thread.

I don't need to read the Daily Mail any more or watch Fox. All the fear in my life comes from British Expats.

Auld Yin Aug 8th 2011 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9544967)
Have you ever thought that "these people" might have legitimate grievances that can't be addressed through the state apparatus?

Such as?

Not being given for free, large screen TVs, fancy jewelry, liquor/beer etc, etc, because they're poor, undereducated and/or unemployed in no way, shape or form, permits anyone to steal, destroy other's property and possibly endanger lives of others. This is in London, Great Britain, a land of freedom and, for many, opportunity. There are agencies all over the place to help when one's life is going wrong. The UK one of the word's top countries in which to live. London is not Mogadishu, FCS.