Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

London Portsmouth commute

London Portsmouth commute

Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough
Default London Portsmouth commute

My wife has a business trip that will take her to central London next week for a few days and then Portsmouth for a few days.

Rather than change hotels she's hoping to stay the entire time in one hotel in London and commute down to Portsmouth from London.

Has anyone on this forum done the commute on this route? I'm wondering how long it would take and if the trip during rush hour is feasible. She's never driven in the UK and is definitely against car hire.

She'd need to get from London to Portsmouth in time for meetings beginning 9am or 10am each day.

p.s. The SouthWest trains website is down for maintenance right now so I'm going for Human based knowledge.

Thanks.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:01 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Portsmouth commute

Originally Posted by austinallegro
My wife has a business trip that will take her to central London next week for a few days and then Portsmouth for a few days.

Rather than change hotels she's hoping to stay the entire time in one hotel in London and commute down to Portsmouth from London.

Has anyone on this forum done the commute on this route? I'm wondering how long it would take and if the trip during rush hour is feasible. She's never driven in the UK and is definitely against car hire.

She'd need to get from London to Portsmouth in time for meetings beginning 9am or 10am each day.

p.s. The SouthWest trains website is down for maintenance right now so I'm going for Human based knowledge.

Thanks.
But National Rail Enquiries are not
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. That was handy. It's over 2 hours with no delays. I think she'll have to bite the bullet and change hotels.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:29 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. That was handy. It's over 2 hours with no delays. I think she'll have to bite the bullet and change hotels.

Thanks again.
I would move hotels..

Its not hard to relocate and the extra sleep and chill out time will be well worth it. We used to always change hotels if working out of London. I know i was in a car but the traffic is so unpredictable in rush the hour, its not worth the risk.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Tell her to get a B&B and then she can go out on the piss.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:27 am
Banned

Driscoll Family is an unknown quantity at this point

I do this journey by car and can take 2 hours or sometime up to 3 &1/2 and that is not in rush hour. Driving in London is hard core if you not used to it and parking is even harder.
My mother take the train for 1.45 min fro Portsmouth to Waterloo, which is straight forward and no changes needed.
I would stay in London.
Safe Journey what ever you choice
Old Oct 18th 2012, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Portsmouth isn't that bad and plenty to do with a good shopping centre. Lived there for a year before coming to Canada
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Portsmouth isn't that bad and plenty to do with a good shopping centre. Lived there for a year before coming to Canada
+1 Stay in Pompey. My ex Mrs was from there and we used to live in Southampton. Portsmouth is a different experience from London so she should make the most of it and see some of the city and surrounding area.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Oct 18th 2012 at 3:04 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:09 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
+1 Stay in Pompey. My ex Mrs was from there and we used to live in Southampton. Portsmouth is a different experience from London so she should make the most of it and see some of the city and surrounding area.
Love Pompey to bits....can't say that about many places outside London
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Love Pompey to bits....can't say that about many places outside London
???? errrr.... most of it outside of London lol

Were you one of the squaddie / sailor boys causing mayhem down Guildhall walk every weekend lol
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Were you one of the squaddie / sailor boys causing mayhem down Guildhall walk every weekend lol
I think he means there aren't many lovable places outside London. That's not very Canadian.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:48 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Should have read....most other places outside London. I had many a wicked time in Portsmouth during uni days
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies. In the end my dearly beloved chose staying in one nice hotel in London for the entire time and had the meetings moved to the Basingstoke office.

Next time the whole family goes over we'll do Portsmouth and Southampton too.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the replies. In the end my dearly beloved chose staying in one nice hotel in London for the entire time and had the meetings moved to the Basingstoke office.

Next time the whole family goes over we'll do Portsmouth and Southampton too.
Basingstoke??? Hampshire's answer to a North American town. She will feel much more at home there. Soulless and dull.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

blubin is an unknown quantity at this point

Portsmouth is a shithole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.