Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The London 2012 Olympic Stadium.

The London 2012 Olympic Stadium.

Old Nov 8th 2012, 5:59 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The London 2012 Olympic Stadium.

You are not the only one with an engineering degree...I just remembered I did a term or two of economics during my undergraduate studies. Obviously didnt make much of an impression on me...

From my expat perspective Im more concerned that Liverpool will have to find £200M for the Anfield redevelopment, while fellow lower/midtable strugglers West Ham will get a more heavily subsided stadium upgrade and gain an advantage from that.

If I was a UK taxpayer I would be pretty pissed about subsidising a multi million pound premiership footy club, it shouldnt really be the governments place, and given all the planning involved its a bit bizarre that these legacy issues were not determined long before the games ended IMO.

The argument in favour of bidding for big ticket international events like the Olympics, world cup etc has traditionally been that its a stimulus for economic growth. If people realise its just a huge subsidised ego fest and stop buying into that then the whole concept will die, but as its now so far from the Corinthian ideals of deCoubertin maybe that's not a bad thing. Just make it like the XGames and be done with it.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 8th 2012 at 6:01 am.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If people realise its just a huge subsidised ego fest...
But this is what everyone thinks about it. As long as the sporting side goes ok it's just ignored/forgiven.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:16 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a UK taxpayer I would be pretty pissed about subsidising a multi million pound premiership footy club,
But you are not, so you shouldn't be losing sleep over it. So memory is not what it use to be then?

Better keep playing that saxophone more often or is it a flute that you have?

Last edited by ultrarunner; Nov 8th 2012 at 6:32 am.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You are not the only one with an engineering degree...I just remembered I did a term or two of economics during my undergraduate studies. Obviously didnt make much of an impression on me...

Took quite a few maths courses in the poly-tech dept. with engineering students, it made a big impression on me.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:15 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

From my expat perspective Im more concerned that Liverpool will have to find £200M for the Anfield redevelopment, while fellow lower/midtable strugglers West Ham will get a more heavily subsided stadium upgrade and gain an advantage from that.

If I was a UK taxpayer I would be pretty pissed about subsidising a multi million pound premiership footy club, it shouldnt really be the governments place, and given all the planning involved its a bit bizarre that these legacy issues were not determined long before the games ended IMO.
If its not say used for football and then athletics and cricket in the summer..what else would utilise such a stadium on a weekly basis???
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:20 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
If its not say used for football and then athletics and cricket in the summer..what else would utilise such a stadium on a weekly basis???
When it was proposed the legacy was to be as the national athletics stadium... the theory being that the footy clubs had enough money to build their own stadia if they wanted/ needed one.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:23 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

When it was proposed the legacy was to be as the national athletics stadium... the theory being that the footy clubs had enough money to build their own stadia if they wanted/ needed one.
tell that to Man City..Plus athletics isn't a winter sport..what you going to use it for the other 9 months of the year?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:27 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

tell that to Man City..Plus athletics isn't a winter sport..what you going to use it for the other 9 months of the year?
Im just saying, all the justification before hand was that it would continue to be a focal point for UK athletics, which really doesnt have an alternative world class stadium to turn to. All thats been pushed to the wayside, so so much for "Legacy", its just going to be yet another footy stadium.

Man City were on board from the get go to take over the Commonwealth Stadium as I understood it.

The economics of the Manchester games made a lot more sense than the Olympics in terms of sustainability and legacy usage.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 8th 2012 at 7:43 am.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:38 am
Every day's a school day

Im just saying, all the justification before hand was that it would continue to be a focal point for UK athletics, which really doesnt have an alternative world call stadium to turn to. All thats been pushed to the wayside, so so much for "Legacy", its just going to be yet another footy stadium.

Man City were on board from the get go to take over the Commonwealth Stadium as I understood it.

The economics of the Manchester games made a lot more sense than the Olympics in terms of sustainability and legacy usage.
my understanding it would still be used for athletics during the summer months unless things have changed.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:55 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

my understanding it would still be used for athletics during the summer months unless things have changed.
I sometimes wonder if people even bothered to click on the link. The story even says the reasons the bids have to be worked on is because they didn't do a good enough job for the world athletics championship in 2017.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 8:35 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Must be another boring in the small town

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zK0pyFCvxb...oze_button.jpg

Thought I got the auto mailer saying someone had posted something else in this thread. obviosuly not.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 8:39 am
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I sometimes wonder if people even bothered to click on the link. The story even says the reasons the bids have to be worked on is because they didn't do a good enough job for the world athletics championship in 2017.
But it doesn't say the bids excluded the venue for athletics either
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:08 am

But it doesn't say the bids excluded the venue for athletics either
No, it sounds like who-ever wins has to accommodate any big international sporting events. As I said earlier, I just don't get the indignation about this.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:12 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No, it sounds like who-ever wins has to accommodate any big international sporting events. As I said earlier, I just don't get the indignation about this.
Because sanctimony is intoxicating.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:25 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Because sanctimony is intoxicating.
Sounds like a Depeche Mode song...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.