Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The London 2012 Olympic Stadium.

The London 2012 Olympic Stadium.

Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:07 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The London 2012 Olympic Stadium.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Oh I dont know spending 486 million quid on a venue that wont be used for several years seems a good use of taxpayers money

That is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things though. I remember people getting all up in arms about the cost of the Millennium Dome when that was being built and then the price doubled.

This guy in the link below could have paid for the stadium without feeling a pinch. He owns most of the real estate along Tottenham Crt rd, oxford street, regent street et al

http://www.richest-people.co.uk/duke-of-westminster/
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:11 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
This guy in the link below could have paid for the stadium without feeling a pinch. He owns most of the real estate along Tottenham Crt rd, oxford street, regent street et al

http://www.richest-people.co.uk/duke-of-westminster/
BUt he didnt, the taxpayer did, at a time when cuts to services are the norm in the UK cos they cant afford the status quo.

Thats half a billion, it could have saved a lot of school music or sports programs.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:16 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about school music, just seems like a waste of time when people just take to FB and twitter these day to get on one of those ubiquitous shows on tv that turns you into an instant star.

I can think of other more beneficial school programs though, but music ain't one of them sorry

Originally Posted by iaink
BUt he didnt, the taxpayer did, at a time when cuts to services are the norm in the UK cos they cant afford the status quo.

Thats half a billion, it could have saved a lot of school music or sports programs.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:17 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but Leyton Orient? Three men and a dog are going to look very lost in that stadium.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:21 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about school music, just seems like a waste of time when people just take to FB and twitter these day to get on one of those ubiquitous shows on tv that turns you into an instant star.

I can think of other more beneficial school programs though, but music ain't one of them sorry
Perhaps you should study the link between music programs, brain development and overall academic and social performance.

Id google it for you, but I know you can do it yourself
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They could have used that money for asylum families with 8 kids who demand that they be given suitable housing in London and subsidise the rent on these properties Oh wait dont they do that already?
Ship them off up North or Wales Oh wait arent they planning to do this?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
They could have used that money for asylum families with 8 kids who demand that they be given suitable housing in London and subsidise the rent on these properties Oh wait dont they do that already?
Ship them off up North or Wales Oh wait arent they planning to do this?
At least its the same country... arent the Norwegians paying unemployed 16 year olds to go off to Sweden , or vice versa?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:38 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be kidding? The problem with schools is not enough music programs, and that's maybe part of the reason kids go in for celebrity culture, as they haven't learned the discipline gained from learning an instrument.

In fact, the should be adding a bit more art too. The more technologically advanced we become, the greater the need for cultural learning IMO.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:41 am
Banned

Perhaps you should study the link between music programs, brain development and overall academic and social performance.

Id google it for you, but I know you can do it yourself
Bollocks....and that applies to everyone does it? How many doctors, engineers, astronauts have their success down to doing music at school? Don't get me wrong, I love music and play the guitar and drum with my eyes close.

Just because your kids or you are into it, doesn't mean it's the be all and end all...just sayin'
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:46 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well I didn't say it was the be all and end all, simply that it is beneficial, and kids would benefit from music in their education. It's a fairly well established fact. You'll find that many (not all) doctors have done some music in their schooling.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Bollocks....and that applies to everyone does it? How many doctors, engineers, astronauts have their success down to doing music at school? Don't get me wrong, I love music and play the guitar and drum with my eyes close.

Just because your kids or you are into it, doesn't mean it's the be all and end all...just sayin'
Dont let the facts stand in the way of your prejudices eh

Music programs boost performance in so many other areas, teamwork for non jocks for example, or creative areas, or in learning discipline, or improving academic performance by exercising different parts of the brain, improving memory etc etc etc.

Music programs are a soft target for cuts, and its a crying shame. Obviously, like any area of learning its not going to be for everyone, but all kids should have the opportunity to find out, and many sadly now never will.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:53 am
Banned

What prejudices, did you not read what I wrote above? Funny you should bring up teamwork but refuse to work with Canada Post wrt mailboxes eh?

Here is a shocker for ya...Gary Glitter was into music, look at where that got him

Dont let the facts stand in the way of your prejudices eh

Music programs boost performance in so many other areas, teamwork for non jocks for example, or creative areas, or in learning discipline, or improving academic performance by exercising different parts of the brain, improving memory etc etc etc.

Music programs are a soft target for cuts, and its a crying shame. Obviously, like any area of learning its not going to be for everyone, but all kids should have the opportunity to find out, and many now dont.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:55 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I love music and play the guitar and drum with my eyes close.
Playing the guitar and drums at the same time must be difficult or are you a 'one man band'. Or do you close your eyes as your sh*t at it so you think it's someone else playing ?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:56 am
me/moi

What prejudices, did you not read what I wrote above? Funny you should bring up teamwork but refuse to work with Canada Post wrt mailboxes eh?

Here is a shocker for ya...Gary Glitter was into music, look at where that got him
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A permanent place in the language, immortalisation as an everyday term of reference, you can't say that for the Lance Armstrongs of this world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.