LOL Rick Mercer!

Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LOL Rick Mercer!

Following on from the comments made to you when emigrating, this surfaced on FB this week, and although its a few years old now, certainly made me chuckle!
Not passing judgement here on the intelligence of US Citizens, but it makes you wonder if our neighbours to the south think this, then its no wonder the rest of the world hasnt got a clue what its like to live in Canada!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seYUbVa7L7w
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LOL Rick Mercer!

Funny as it is, I think the most telling thing is that the americans appear to have absolutely no interest in sending Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert up here to expose the undoubted ignorance of a small minority of Canadians.

Mercers show could be taken as evidence of Canadas passive aggressive way of demonstrating to itself once again how much better we are than our richer, more powerful, better looking more influencial neighbours.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL I guess I just took it at face value, and found it amusing!
x
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Talking to Americans is a bit over but I laughed at the RMR when he showed the pic of Paul McCartney and Heather Mills on an ice floe with a seal pup and said something like 'in retrospect this is when he should of just pushed her in the water'.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Rick Mercer is undoubtedly the funniest of the Canadian comedians.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Rick Mercer is undoubtedly the funniest of the Canadian comedians.
To be fair though, since the RCAF ended, there hasn't been much serious competition!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
To be fair though, since the RCAF ended, there hasn't been much serious competition!
Even then it was 'Lame' at best.....
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:48 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Funny as it is, I think the most telling thing is that the americans appear to have absolutely no interest in sending Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert up here to expose the undoubted ignorance of a small minority of Canadians.

Mercers show could be taken as evidence of Canadas passive aggressive way of demonstrating to itself once again how much better we are than our richer, more powerful, better looking more influencial neighbours.
Yes but often as not Rick is not singling out the "guy on the street" for ridicule. In the "talking to Americans" program he showed Mike Huckabee (a subsequent republican presidential hopeful) congratulating "Tim Horton" the (supposed) Canadian prime minister. anda Harvard Professor of Environmental studies speaking against the Saskatchewan seal hunt.

So you've got someone close to being leader of the free world who doesn't know the name of the most senior politician of their nearest neighbour. And a professor at one of the worlds leading universities with a startlingly poor knowledge of the nearest country to him (that's the one on top with all the natural resources).
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Sadly, Rick Mercer is about the closest we get to political satire. Don't get me wrong, he is very funny but sometimes lacks the biting and downright direct approach by many British comedians. They would scare the pants (underwear) from some folks here.

I am very fond of Daily Mash - a more than gentle stab at daily British nonsense. See: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Rick has to be PC to be on CBC I reckon, he got some serious flak for that "talking to Americans" bit.

He can be pretty scathing but you never see it on CBC.

I always think they should do a Canadian version of Have I Got News For You and have him as the host.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Sorry, I never meant to imply that he was remotely funny.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:35 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen the Rick Mercer Report but I have seen countless trailers for it, and also at the same time there are usually about a million trailers for some fellow called Ron James:

"What is it with ironic facial hair? I tried to grow an ironic moustache but it came in sarcastically."

Cue much hilarity from "audience".

What? Is that funny? How is that funny?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I have never seen the Rick Mercer Report but I have seen countless trailers for it, and also at the same time there are usually about a million trailers for some fellow called Ron James:

"What is it with ironic facial hair? I tried to grow an ironic moustache but it came in sarcastically."

Cue much hilarity from "audience".

What? Is that funny? How is that funny?
That's just very good observational comedy. Doesn't everyone try to grow ironic moustaches that come out sarcastically?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_
Rick has to be PC to be on CBC I reckon, he got some serious flak for that "talking to Americans" bit.

He can be pretty scathing but you never see it on CBC.

I always think they should do a Canadian version of Have I Got News For You and have him as the host.
I agree! I also think he would thrive on a Canadian version of "Mock The Week".

We saw Rick Mercer live in London, ON. He only used the 'F' word once and was a lot closer to the mark than he is on TV.

Long live irreverent humour.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's just very good observational comedy. Doesn't everyone try to grow ironic moustaches that come out sarcastically?
To digress slightly, I've found Canadians seem to be somewhat bewildered when you use that classic 1970s line, "just because you've got hair around your mouth . . ." I don't think I'll ever understand this country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.