Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Local newspaper stories

Local newspaper stories

Old Aug 1st 2020, 7:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local newspaper stories

Another teepee has been erected in protest near the legislative buildings in Regina. I'm kind of surprised at finding it in today's Leader Post instead of last night's national news.
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...-f5f847e90a0d/
Old Aug 1st 2020, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

2020 is giving me protest fatigue, and probably others, to the point now, I don't even pay attention to why a group or person is protesting, too many to keep track of this year.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 8:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it's Moncton.
Of course there was that time the mayor decided to lock out the bus drivers and there wasn't a bus for months.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 9:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
2020 is giving me protest fatigue, and probably others, to the point now, I don't even pay attention to why a group or person is protesting, too many to keep track of this year.
This will be a low-key affair in comparison to most, but could trigger (damn the lack of a thesaurus!) sympathetic events anywhere. High suicide rates in northern First Nations communities isn't just in Saskatchewan. The teepee protest in 2018 (Justice for Stolen Children) lasted a few months before the legal process ran it's course and the police reluctantly stepped in (60's Scoop awards the next year), and I think the government might rethink and just pass the bill this time. If the cause spreads it should be in the news soon.
https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-new...ill-come-down/
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Fire near West Kelowna. Seems small at the moment, hopefully contained rather quickly.

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 1:59 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes...... perhaps a good reason to ensure you always have a tank of gas and put any documents that can't be easily replaced > COPR > Passport / photos etc., in a small bag with a change of clothes - all prepared for evacuation if it became necessary.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Yikes...... perhaps a good reason to ensure you always have a tank of gas and put any documents that can't be easily replaced > COPR > Passport / photos etc., in a small bag with a change of clothes - all prepared for evacuation if it became necessary.
Passport is usually in a little metal box along with my birth certificate and some other documents. I lost my COPR long ago though. Photo wise neither of us have really any paper variety, all digital and backed up to google, so okay there. My current passport is expired though, when I went to renew it earlier they had stopped processing renewals due to COVID, so maybe by now they are again, good reminder to check.

I've always kept a few important items near the door everywhere I lived, always more or less lives in fire and/or earthquake country so having a go bag of sorts has always been the norm, especially with fire since with a quake you can see pretty quickly your place is damaged, but with fire, could be days or week or more before you have any idea if your house/apartment is safe or not.

It's also why I will skip buying food and never let renters insurance lapse, not wanting to be one of those on the news, their apartment is gone, and they didn't have insurance, its so cheap every renter should have it.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here, its indirectly related to COVID but anyhow.

More than 25,000 businesses closed across British Columbia between March and April this year data from stats Canada shows.

And this doesn't include any that may have shut down in May to July range.

A large percentage of the closures were in Metro Vancouver with 15,919 businesses closed.

tourism, accommodation, food, retail, construction and personal services
top the list of closures.

CBC

Old Aug 12th 2020, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Vancouver truly is it's own worst enemy when it comes to lack of rental housing.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ing-incentives
Old Aug 16th 2020, 12:28 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Kelowna bear steals couch cushion, returns for swim in pool:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2014948
Old Aug 16th 2020, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Kelowna bear steals couch cushion, returns for swim in pool:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2014948
Bears so cute but of course can be dangerous so don't venture too close to one.

My dad's brother who at the time was living in the woods of New Mexico, came home from work and thought he was burglarized, turned out a bear broke in, trashed the place and left, only thing missing was some packages of meat from the fridge, bear went right through the window.

I cam across a few bears when living in Squamish, luckily they were not interested in humans and ran once they spotted me.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seems this union didn't have great recall rights for laid off employees and now urging the government to step in.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rike-1.5687387
Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Family on Vancouver Island left for vacation for 3 weeks, and when they arrived home found that some people broke in, trashed the place, did drugs, and left their drug stuff, and get this, one of them came back after the family was home, RCMP arrested that man and charged with break and enter.

Family has been staying in a hotel while they can clean and replace items damaged.

Nanaimo is one of those city's in BC with a drug and homeless issue that is spreading and getting more and more problematic.

CTV

Uber is apply to the BC Passenger Transportation Board to expand to Victoria and Kelowna, currently they only offer service in Metro Vancouver.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7324348/u...toria-kelowna/

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 10th 2020 at 5:52 am.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

New Westminster, BC pier park has a massive fire yesterday

Wild fires all around, smoke filled air

Gondola cut

Train derailment near Hope

And it's only Monday morning.

Sea to Sky Gondola near Squamish, BC has been cut again just over a year ago in Aug 2019, it was cut in the same fashion. Appears to be someone or a group who do not like the gondola.

They did install cameras and other security since the last event in 2019, and appear to have gotten some images this time, so maybe this will give the RCMP some leads.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/09...ine-cut-again/

Bad train derailment near Hope, BC. Train crew sustained no injuries, cars that derailed were carrying Potash.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7333314/t...railment-hope/

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 14th 2020 at 6:32 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 8:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Tristan Durocher has finished his 44 day fast in Wascana Park, and the Judge who ruled in his favour came to visit the teepee.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7333599/j...sten-durocher/
A petition has been circulating to try and get that area of the park designated a native space, so they won't have to go through this every time it happens,
https://regina.ctvnews.ca/petition-c...pace-1.5094851
and it's almost at the 5,000 signature mark.
https://www.change.org/p/provincial-...f-76b40f406542

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 14th 2020 at 8:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.