Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Living and working on a Ski Resort

Living and working on a Ski Resort

Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:48 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and working on a Ski Resort

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
good grief that sounds good. perhaps i should get back into events...
Oh god not another of us
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz67 will become famous soon enoughGaz67 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Gaz, Not sure about the size(s) of the resorts round Kamloops/Kelowna, BUT I'm pretty sure you're more likely to find work in the Canmore/Banff/Sunshine/Louise 'corridor'.

Basically Mate you have Calgary (1million plus) then 40/45 minutes west is Kananaskis (VERY quiet in the summer though) maybe 20/25 west again is Canmore (year round and residential) another 15/20 minutes Banff (again year, round BIG 'posh' hotels which do LOTS of 'functions' conferences etc) 10/15 minutes to Sunshine (one slope side hotel) 25? minutes to Lake Louise (has a Fairmont Hotel which operates year round and a few smaller hotels).

With your 'experience' I'd be giving it serious consideration.
Cheers BC , I will be settling initially in Kamloops as we are staying with family when we first emigrate. So after that i will scouting for jobs and locations for us. In the meantime I will check out all these places and potential employers you mention and send off CVs and plan visits once we land.

Gaz
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz67 will become famous soon enoughGaz67 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by R I C H
The staff perks somewhat counter the low (often minimum wages) earnings that staff get paid.

If you've skills that the Sun Peaks Corporation want on an ongoing basis (admin/management), then I can see the attraction of living there, but bear in mind there's no real supermarket, only gift/ski/golf stores and restaurants/bars there as amenities - not even a gas station. You'll have a 45 min drive to shop for anything major, and if your kids want to participate in activities like soccer, swimming or other school stuff, you'll be spending a lot of time in the car.

You'll need $300k for a basic, small 3 bed condo in Sun Peaks, and have monthly strata fees to pay. If you want to avoid strata overheads, then the choice of housing is very limited, and purchase prices much higher.

Consider too, that proper winter on the hill starts at least a month earlier than in Kamloops itself, and snow's still on the ground up there into May. Temperatures are regularly 10 degrees or more cooler.

You might find living in a community like Rayleigh a better bet - mid way between Sun Peaks and Kamloops, so an easy commute to either, and far lower housing costs.
Have looked at Rayleigh is an ideal place for us between Kamloops and Sunpeaks and prices a lot better than near town. I have always travelled 30-45 mins to work so journey time not a problem.

The only minus point I thought I heard about Rayleigh was the water being different.. not to sure in what way just something sticks in my mind will have to go look it up unless you know

Gaz
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaz67
Have looked at Rayleigh is an ideal place for us between Kamloops and Sunpeaks and prices a lot better than near town. I have always travelled 30-45 mins to work so journey time not a problem.

The only minus point I thought I heard about Rayleigh was the water being different.. not to sure in what way just something sticks in my mind will have to go look it up unless you know

Gaz
Just bear in mind that the road to Sun Peaks during winter can be pretty tricky to drive, so be prepared for a challenging commute on occasions. 40 minutes through a winter storm on a mountain road is a far cry from 40 minutes of urban driving in the UK.

I don't know about Rayleigh's water, other than perhaps it's not hooked up to the city's new purification plant. I've never heard of issues with water out there, so I wouldn't worry. The main disadvantages of Rayleigh are the proximity to the highway and railway - choose a property closer to the river and you'll be a decent distance away from the noise those generate.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:41 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Oh god not another of us
;0)