Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Living in Halifax, flying from Maine?

Living in Halifax, flying from Maine?

Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold
Default Living in Halifax, flying from Maine?

The title says it all really - we're living in Halifax and planning on going to Orlando around the time of the Canada Games. We're happy to go midweek but flight prices from Halifax are still twice the price than flying from Portland in Maine. Has anyone done this? How long is the drive - we think about 10hours but with three children I'm wondering if this is about right or not. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:30 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Halifax, flying from Maine?

Originally Posted by Merry
The title says it all really - we're living in Halifax and planning on going to Orlando around the time of the Canada Games. We're happy to go midweek but flight prices from Halifax are still twice the price than flying from Portland in Maine. Has anyone done this? How long is the drive - we think about 10hours but with three children I'm wondering if this is about right or not. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&utm_...&utm_medium=ha

Your trip costing should include gasoline/meals and probably 2 hotel nights.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bangor to Portland Jetport is 1.5 hours in good weather, double that in the snow.

Bangor to Calais, which is close to the border is about 2-2.5 hours, but double in bad weather, the roads a bit shit compared to I-95/295 and rather bendy.

No idea about the Canadian side of the journey, but 10 hours probably isn't to far off the mark if you leave early, you'll get to the US during the day and miss the traffic. Petrol is pretty expensive in that part of Maine though, gets cheaper towards Portland.

Service stops are pretty shit to don't exist until you get to Bangor though, most of them are closed during the winter.

Portland Jetport is in a bit of a grotty part of the city and there's nothing to do in the area and there's nothing to do in the airport, there's about 3 sets of toilets and a cafe/bar and that's seriously it apart from a couple of vending machines. So if you've got kids, don't get there to early or you'll be bored out of your skulls, there's even less to do upstairs once you check in. Don't know what long term parking is, but it is cheap, about $10 a day short term, but cash only, long term might be different.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Can't you go from Moncton or Fredericton? Would that help the prices?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Can't you go from Moncton or Fredericton? Would that help the prices?
Or drive on to Orlando.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked flights from Bangor as well? Prices might be the same as from Portland and your parking fees are less and you save 1.5 hours of extra driving each way. Might also be worth to check an airport hotel for park and fly rates, for example>

http://www.fourpointsbangorairport.c...irport-parking
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
Have you checked flights from Bangor as well? Prices might be the same as from Portland and your parking fees are less and you save 1.5 hours of extra driving each way. Might also be worth to check an airport hotel for park and fly rates, for example>

http://www.fourpointsbangorairport.c...irport-parking
Bangor is really expensive to fly out of...there's even less to do in the area around the airport, though there are a few more shops in the airport, not much to do.

Parking costs aren't any different or they weren't, unless you're staying at the hotel, then you're adding hotel costs.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice - I'll do a bit more research on the other airports. We had thought of driving to Florida because that would save on car hire too but I don't think that's a wise idea when there might be so much snow around. We're not just being greedy for the sun either - my parents have booked flights to fly over for a holiday then so it would give us a good opportunity to see them.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

helcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice - I'll do a bit more research on the other airports. We had thought of driving to Florida because that would save on car hire too but I don't think that's a wise idea when there might be so much snow around. We're not just being greedy for the sun either - my parents have booked flights to fly over for a holiday then so it would give us a good opportunity to see them.
Halifax to Bangor will be around 7 hours without stopping. Have you checked for flights out of Houlton? You can get them sometimes, which would reduce driving to around 5.5 hours.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

It now looks like our best option is to go from Portland in Maine. Just wanted to double check, if we drive across the US border, do we have to have six dollars (US) in cash for the border crossing??? I'm sure I've read that somewhere, but can't find it.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

It now looks like our best option is to go from Portland in Maine. Just wanted to double check, if we drive across the US border, do we have to have six dollars (US) in cash for the border crossing??? I'm sure I've read that somewhere, but can't find it.

Thanks.
If you're Canadian citizens no, other wise yes to cover the I-94
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the speedy reply, Bob, am I correct in thinking that it has to be cold, hard cash? (hey ... I wonder if the immigration officers would do a deal for cash ... on second thoughts, perhaps better not ask)

There are also two adults, three kids, so I am assuming 5 x $6 will be to order of the day.

Just double checking that it still applies even though we have ESTA approval in place. Don't want to pull up to the border with grumpy kids from a few hours drive and find that we can't get through.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks for the speedy reply, Bob, am I correct in thinking that it has to be cold, hard cash? (hey ... I wonder if the immigration officers would do a deal for cash ... on second thoughts, perhaps better not ask)

There are also two adults, three kids, so I am assuming 5 x $6 will be to order of the day.

Just double checking that it still applies even though we have ESTA approval in place. Don't want to pull up to the border with grumpy kids from a few hours drive and find that we can't get through.

Thanks.
No idea if they take card, probably depends on the border crossing, but usually cash.

Don't know about kids, but definitely each adult will need one.

ESTA is seperate, and needed for flights, not road crossings. The $6 fee is the I-94 at a land crossing for the VWP. When you fly, it's included in the cost of the ticket.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Cool, thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Woodstock take credit cards.