Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A little worried about potential costs...

A little worried about potential costs...

Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A little worried about potential costs...

Seeing as we have a couple of "costs" threads going at the moment I figured I'd hop on the bandwagon.

Soon I will be applying for PR after residing in Canada for a year.

I'm curious about the RPRF fee of $490. When does this have to be paid if applying inside Canada? 90 days? 120 days? It seems some people paid when their medicals were sent off...

And thats my second concern, the cost of the medicals... where is the most affordable place to get them done in the Vancouver area? I was kind of expecting it to be covered by the MSP but after some research it doesn't look like that is the case.

I'm not exactly rich so these costs won't be fun, I'm hoping I can put aside $150 each month or so but I'm not sure that will be quick enough to pay for everything.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:27 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little worried about potential costs...

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Seeing as we have a couple of "costs" threads going at the moment I figured I'd hop on the bandwagon.

Soon I will be applying for PR after residing in Canada for a year.

I'm curious about the RPRF fee of $490. When does this have to be paid if applying inside Canada? 90 days? 120 days? It seems some people paid when their medicals were sent off...

And thats my second concern, the cost of the medicals... where is the most affordable place to get them done in the Vancouver area? I was kind of expecting it to be covered by the MSP but after some research it doesn't look like that is the case.

I'm not exactly rich so these costs won't be fun, I'm hoping I can put aside $150 each month or so but I'm not sure that will be quick enough to pay for everything.
The RPRF has to be paid before they will issue your Visa - they usually ask for it when they ask you to go for your medical.

As for the cost of the medicals I am not 100% sure - I would need to check at work tomorrow but I think it would be around $200 for one person (perhaps a little more) - I am sure someone will be along soon to confirm.

Basically, you will apply to CIO Sydney - you will send in your government fees at this point - if it is only you the cost will be $550. 8 (ish) weeks later they will write asking you to submit documents to CIC London within 120 days.

You submit the documents and then wait for them to ask you to go for a medical. You should expect this waiting period to be about 5 months - so plenty of time to save up.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:44 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
The RPRF has to be paid before they will issue your Visa - they usually ask for it when they ask you to go for your medical.

As for the cost of the medicals I am not 100% sure - I would need to check at work tomorrow but I think it would be around $200 for one person (perhaps a little more) - I am sure someone will be along soon to confirm.

Basically, you will apply to CIO Sydney - you will send in your government fees at this point - if it is only you the cost will be $550. 8 (ish) weeks later they will write asking you to submit documents to CIC London within 120 days.

You submit the documents and then wait for them to ask you to go for a medical. You should expect this waiting period to be about 5 months - so plenty of time to save up.

Hope this helps
We got asked for ours when they requested our passports but we are on the TWP to PNP to PR route. We came with our TWP just over 18 months ago so our application is from within Canada.

So it was $550 per adult & $150 per dependent child with the initial PR application (that for us was in September 2009) & now, in June 2010, we have had to part with the $490 for myself & my spouse. Our medicals were in January & we didn't have to pay CIC anything then, although the doctor needed paying of course ($130 cash per person & then it was $50 for X-rays & $32 for bloodwork/urine tests for)

Our documentation had to go to Buffalo NY.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies, it's set my mind at rest I should be fine!