Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Liberal NDP coalition

Liberal NDP coalition

Old Mar 22nd 2022, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Liberal NDP coalition

The NDP have agreed to support the Liberals in confidence votes until 2025.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...ther-1.6392756

The deal however requires the Liberals to support Pharmacare (universal prescription drugs coverage) and Dentalcare (universal dental care coverage), which to me seem like great things.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...ment-1.6393021

According to a release from the Prime Minister's Office detailing the grounds of the agreement, the proposed dental program would start with those under 12 years old in 2022, then expand to under-18-year-olds, seniors and persons living with a disability in 2023. Full implementation would be rolled out in 2025.
The dental program, a key plank of the NDP's past two campaign platforms, would be restricted to families with an income of less than $90,000 annually, with no co-pays for anyone under $70,000 annually in income, said the government.
The deal would also see a Canada Pharmacare Act passed by the end of 2023 to task the National Drug Agency to develop a national formulary of essential medicines and a bulk purchasing plan by the end of the agreement.
These will be significant improvements to Canada's social programs and bring us more in line with the kind of public coverage in Western European countries. Combined with the 5 paid sick days in BC as well as affordable childcare program in BC, we're seeing real improvement here compared to how brutal it used to be.

There is also a small gesture towards more affordable housing.
On housing, another key issue for the NDP, the government has agreed to extend the rapid housing initiative — a program to create new, affordable housing for people and populations who are vulnerable — for an additional year and to look at changing the definition of affordable housing.
This is more disappointing as non-market housing can't solve our out of control housing prices, I would like to see more emphasis on housing supply. Right now the conservatives still have a better plan there.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Mar 22nd 2022 at 8:01 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liberal NDP coalition

I will believe it when I see it (pharamacare etc.) Trudeau is only interested in what he wants... I suspect the NDP will end up like the Liberal Democrats at the end of this.

It is beyond pathetic that the conservative party can't scrape together a front bench and leader of even moderate quality to confront such a narcissistic, talentless, intellectually vapid, hypocritical little waster like Trudeau.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Given the Liberal-NDP coalition announced today, I am raising my expectations for inflation for the next few years. I think that 5% to 9% is realistic over the next few years.

I also expect the quality of dental care to degrade.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 11:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko

Not for the poor. they got none now.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 1:33 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Given the Liberal-NDP coalition announced today, I am raising my expectations for inflation for the next few years. I think that 5% to 9% is realistic over the next few years.

why?
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Because this happens to all government run services. Demand grows, resources are limited, this leads to inflation, government tries to control costs so inflation shows in deteriorating quality, longer waiting lists, etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I will believe it when I see it (pharamacare etc.) Trudeau is only interested in what he wants... I suspect the NDP will end up like the Liberal Democrats at the end of this.

It is beyond pathetic that the conservative party can't scrape together a front bench and leader of even moderate quality to confront such a narcissistic, talentless, intellectually vapid, hypocritical little waster like Trudeau.
Good summary of my thoughts on Trudeau. It all seems so desperate from both parties involved.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Good summary of my thoughts on Trudeau. It all seems so desperate from both parties involved.
They were exactly my first thoughts Trudeau is so desperate to hang on to what power he has for now, and NDP know they never will, so it just comes as across as a "nothing to lose" move by Trudeau, and indeed by ol' Jagmeet.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 10:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
They were exactly my first thoughts Trudeau is so desperate to hang on to what power he has for now, and NDP know they never will, so it just comes as across as a "nothing to lose" move by Trudeau, and indeed by ol' Jagmeet.
I don't see that as the problem with it. I think governments need a robust opposition to keep them honest. If the NDP is rolled into the government, there's no one to keep the Liberals in check. Countries need, at least, two credible political parties.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 11:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

Because this happens to all government run services. Demand grows, resources are limited, this leads to inflation, government tries to control costs so inflation shows in deteriorating quality, longer waiting lists, etc.
Oooh, that NHS, ruin the country that will.

Is the government planning a Ministry of Tooth Management under which everyone's gob will be administered by civil servants who alternate stints as customs officers? I suppose they may be but I haven't seen that in the Guardian or heard it on the BBC.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine the opposite.
The Lib Dems collaboration enabled Austerity and the bedroom tax and they suffered for the association.

If more affordable medical and dental costs result that might go down rather well...unless certain people start blaming "the feckless" for other ills and moaning about their tax dollars.

I'm surprised the NDP didn't want PR as part of the deal. But perhaps they did.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does amuse me is people previously whingeing about an early election now complaining about there being a 3 year wait for the next one.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I would imagine the opposite.
The Lib Dems collaboration enabled Austerity and the bedroom tax and they suffered for the association.

If more affordable medical and dental costs result that might go down rather well...unless certain people start blaming "the feckless" for other ills and moaning about their tax dollars.

I'm surprised the NDP didn't want PR as part of the deal. But perhaps they did.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does amuse me is people previously whingeing about an early election now complaining about there being a 3 year wait for the next one.
I have no problem with the idea of pharamacare etc. I just don't believe, on the evidence so far, that Trudeau has the capabilities to deliver it. He is more interested in making big announcements, or offering his "wisdom' on a given situation, but executing on it? I also suspect he has no real interest in it so there may be a watered down version appears or the planning will be "difficult" so it gets kicked into the long grass.

For the NDP, the reason they may end up like the LDs is that they will be tainted by any of Trudeau's shennanigans with no benefit to them. Imagine there is another blackface, for example... does Jagmeet have the stones to make good on his pledge to withdraw from the agreement? How do NDP voters, who intentionally voted for the NDP and not the Liberals, feel about them supporting the Liberals? I dunno, but I suspect it won't work out well for the NDP give that there is another so called progressive party waiting in the wings, namely the Greens.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 2:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

For the NDP, the reason they may end up like the LDs is that they will be tainted by any of Trudeau's shennanigans with no benefit to them..
That's where I see the big difference.

Austerity and the bedroom tax should have been anathema to the Lib Dems but they actually voted for it. It had major repercussions for them

The NDP and Libs are not polar opposites like the UK Conservatives and the Lib Dems. I very much doubt that there is any policy at all, or any aspect of the budget, that the Liberals would want to bring in that the NDP would vehemently be opposed to let alone bring themselves to support it.

And that's not part of the agreement anyway. They can walk away if they feel their interests are not being served.

They also have no positions in government like the Lib Dems did with Cameron in the UK. If a minister makes a bad job of something, it will be a Liberal minister.

Old Mar 23rd 2022, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I fail to see the upside for the NDP. If all goes well, the Liberals will get the credit and, if it doesn't they will be associated with the Liberals. That's not fair, but history shows that is what will happen.

I don't subscribe to left or right, religiously following one or the other. I want to see good policies. I don't care who proposes them. The next election may be a poisoned chalice for whoever wins, as cutbacks will be required and, if a new party has to impose them, they won't be thanked for it.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 5:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Resources limited by government underfunding? what a thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.