Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Let's Play a Game....

Let's Play a Game....

Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:19 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's Play a Game....

It's the lid, not the seat so tell them to live with it or fix it themselves. These things do/should not break unless someone sat/stood on it. While you may have to have it fixed if you get new tenants, I wouldn't give the sitting tenants the satisfaction.
There is a mentality with UK renters, particularly those in council housing, that minor repairs need someone to be called out to do it. I've read letters in newspapers that the "council" is called out when a faucet is dripping for the need of a washer.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:25 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
It's the lid, not the seat so tell them to live with it or fix it themselves. These things do/should not break unless someone sat/stood on it. While you may have to have it fixed if you get new tenants, I wouldn't give the sitting tenants the satisfaction.
There is a mentality with UK renters, particularly those in council housing, that minor repairs need someone to be called out to do it. I've read letters in newspapers that the "council" is called out when a faucet is dripping for the need of a washer.
I am tending to agree with you - specially when they obviously broke it but won't admit it. Saying it just "fell apart" is mental.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:43 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I am tending to agree with you - specially when they obviously broke it but won't admit it. Saying it just "fell apart" is mental.
At least now the boys don't have to lift it
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:03 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have a Tenancy agreement drawn up prior to renting, stating that any breakages are the tenants' responsibility? Your agent should have done this on your behalf; it should state all the Do's and Don'ts and who is responsible for what, so I should check with them before replacing anything else that has mysteriously managed to break all by itself!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:06 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Did you have a Tenancy agreement drawn up prior to renting, stating that any breakages are the tenants' responsibility? Your agent should have done this on your behalf; it should state all the Do's and Don'ts and who is responsible for what, so I should check with them before replacing anything else that has mysteriously managed to break all by itself!
Yeah I only thought about that today - so the agents are asking them again how it broke and then we will document it and take it out of their deposit when they bog off.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Caveat:

the problem with letting one dameged item go unrepaired is that "standards have slipped" and it's OK to let other things get damaged and go unreported, and it spirals downwards.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:39 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I only thought about that today - so the agents are asking them again how it broke and then we will document it and take it out of their deposit when they bog off.
Being the operative word....I also noticed another poster had referred to them as "sitting tenants"!