Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Lets declare war on the Argies again.

Lets declare war on the Argies again.

Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lets declare war on the Argies again.

Well if only Tony Blair was still the PM then he would now have his excuse to declare another war on Argentina.
Since the Falklands war there have been several attempts by Argentina to have those islands back under their rule and restored to Las Malvinas.
Allegedly even this years Englands World Cup team have been told not to mention the Falkland Islands. Though the thought of Rooney grabbing Messi by the throat if Argentina knocked out England might be appealing to some.
So what is this latest incident that could be so despicable and lead to another war

This is the moment an Argentinian polo player broke the royal protocol by placing a hand on the Queen’s back as she presented a winner’s trophy at the Cartier Polo Cup.
Facundo Pieres breaks royal protocol by placing hand on the Queen's back at Cartier Polo Cup | Mail Online

How dare that Argie place his hands on Liz. Off to the Tower with him.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:13 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lets declare war on the Argies again.

I was doing my A-levels during the Falklands.

At the time, there was no proper Ordnance Survey map of the place. The best the military could find was a geological map, which had been produced by my geography teacher. She was very proud of the fact.

I was worried. She was useless at geography. I had visions of airborne troops dropping into the South Atlantic or landing ships showing up in the wrong bay.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:34 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

The UK has never declared war on Argentina. The closest that we got was the declaration of a total exclusion zone, but war was never declared. Story has it it was only because the Foreign Office had forgotten how to declare war because it hasn't happened since the outbreak of World War II.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
The UK has never declared war on Argentina. The closest that we got was the declaration of a total exclusion zone, but war was never declared. Story has it it was only because the Foreign Office had forgotten how to declare war because it hasn't happened since the outbreak of World War II.
Semantics I guess shooting down their aircraft and sinking their ships was just target practice. I guess Iraq and Afghanistan were merely summer vacations for the troops to hone up on their desert survival skills.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 1:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldnt we wait till we get out of the group stages of the world cup before worrying about Argentina
Old Jun 16th 2014, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
Shouldnt we wait till we get out of the group stages of the world cup before worrying about Argentina
Well Yes there is that little hurdle to climb We could always share a plane home with the Spanish and Greeks
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I was doing my A-levels during the Falklands.

At the time, there was no proper Ordnance Survey map of the place. The best the military could find was a geological map, which had been produced by my geography teacher. She was very proud of the fact.

I was worried. She was useless at geography. I had visions of airborne troops dropping into the South Atlantic or landing ships showing up in the wrong bay.
My husband was there or thereabouts. He didn't have a map.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
My husband was there or thereabouts. He didn't have a map.
We had charts, we were pretty good at finding our way around in boats and aeroplanes.

Just cannot believe 32 years ago Saturday, Argentina gave up and surrendered to British Forces.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Aviator
We had charts, we were pretty good at finding our way around in boats and aeroplanes.

Just cannot believe 32 years ago Saturday, Argentina gave up and surrendered to British Forces.
Stop it you are making me feel old I was in serving in West Berlin at that time and we were planning a celebration dinner at an Argentinian Steakhouse on the Kufurstendam.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Stop it you are making me feel old I was in serving in West Berlin at that time and we were planning a celebration dinner at an Argentinian Steakhouse on the Kufurstendam.
That was probably a safer place to be and I hate to break it to you, we are old.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Aviator
That was probably a safer place to be and I hate to break it to you, we are old.
I consider myself to be like a piece of cheese or wine or scotch Im mature and get better with age
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Should we get out of the group we'll most likely face Colombia, then Brazil (gulp).

Kind of a crap thread idea.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I consider myself to be like a piece of cheese or wine or scotch Im mature and get better with age
Not dried up and moldy around the edges then?