LEST WE FORGET

Old Nov 10th 2021, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default LEST WE FORGET

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders Fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LEST WE FORGET

Must be a bad year for selling poppies. People rarely go out now and, if they do, they don't have any money. I usually buy three or four, as I lose them, but none this year.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Lets hope that the people that don't go out, so are not able to buy one in the usual way, buy a "digital poppy" instead after all everything else seems to be digital or online now, so why not this if people really don't want to go out.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 4:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Lets hope that the people that don't go out, so are not able to buy one in the usual way, buy a "digital poppy" instead after all everything else seems to be digital or online now, so why not this if people really don't want to go out.
If you don't go out you don't need one, do you? At home there's no one to conform with.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 5:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

My fondest memory of remembrance day? This racist bigot finally getting fired!

Old Nov 10th 2021, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
My fondest memory of remembrance day? This racist bigot finally getting fired!
Definitely wasn't good that he seemed to be assuming people he saw on the street not wearing a poppy had "come here" as immigrants - how did he know this? just because they were visible minorities?. That sort of thinking enforces the undertone of white supremacy you find across Canada unfortunately. Also there was no good reason to single out immigrants who don't wear poppies, how is that any worse than Canadians who don't wear them either? Good example of how subtle systemic racism can creep in. He should have apologized.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I've often been seen without a poppy in past years ..................... either because I've lost it since I left the house, or I forgot to change it from a jacket to a coat!

This year, we got one poppy in the mail from the Legion, with an appeal for donations. I haven't worn it but I will be donating more than I usually put in the box at the register in the coffee shop or supermarket (even when I have to buy 2 or 3 extras!).

I have not actually lost any poppies for the last 6 or more years .............. the yellow flower sold by the Cancer Society came with a little white plastic tube to slip on the end of the pin, so I kept those and transfer it to the poppy in November, or I've bent the end of the pin up if I know that I will not be changing coats.

I've had an interesting time for the last week or so ........... I discovered that 5 brothers who were descendants of a sibling of OH's direct ancestor back in the 1840s, all emigrated between about 1895 and 1910. One went to Australia and 4 came to Canada. Two of the brothers went back to the UK to fight in WW1, the one from Australia joined a UK regiment, while the one from Canada joined a Canadian regiment. Both were killed in France.

Two of the remaining brothers each had a son who joined up in WW2, one was killed aged 19 while training on Vancouver Island. The other served in France, was apparently badly injured but came back to Canada and died in 1949. He is buried in the Veteran's section in Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver. Records are almost impossible to find for him.

The 5th brother didn't go to war, nor did any of his children, but he did serve as an MP for one term in the 1930s, and built Sunwapta Cottage Resort near Jasper.

It's amazing what you can find when doing family history, and extending the research to more than the direct line.

I have spent the days putting all this together for the grand nieces and nephews and my grandson, to add to the know facts they had that their joint great grandfather served in the Royal Navy in WW2. For my grandson, I added information on my maternal grandfather and paternal great uncle who both fought in WW1 and survived.

Old Nov 11th 2021, 3:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Must be a bad year for selling poppies. People rarely go out now and, if they do, they don't have any money. I usually buy three or four, as I lose them, but none this year.
I was buying two poppies today from the RSL when I remembered your post from yesterday, so I bought another one for you.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

King’s government only sent volunteers to Europe, so more soldiers served in Canada guarding camps with refugees and captured Nazis than fought during WW2. Made it harder for those who fought as Canadian units were under strength. Over 45 thousand gave their lives… Can’t be many of those who fought that are still around.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you don't go out you don't need one, do you? At home there's no one to conform with.
Isn't it just a gesture of acknowledging the past sacrifices by armed forces? I don't think its about "conforming"? so surely a digital poppy would be the same gesture if your not going out and can't buy one. You would still be acknowledging and making a donation in the same way..

Although I hate most things online, but that's just my personal choice of course.

Old Nov 11th 2021, 12:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I was buying two poppies today from the RSL when I remembered your post from yesterday, so I bought another one for you.
Thank you. I can't wear it but no one will know.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Isn't it just a gesture of acknowledging the past sacrifices by armed forces?
Specifically the armed forces in WW1. At a stretch the conscripted armed forces of WW2. Significant sums should no longer be required as they only need grounds keeping now.

Old Nov 11th 2021, 12:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it just a gesture of acknowledging the past sacrifices by armed forces? I don't think its about "conforming"? so surely a digital poppy would be the same gesture if your not going out and can't buy one. You would still be acknowledging and making a donation in the same way..

Although I hate most things online, but that's just my personal choice of course.
In Oz the money raised by selling poppies is used by veteran organisations to fund services such as mental health, housing etc. It's the same in Canada I think?
Old Nov 11th 2021, 1:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it just a gesture of acknowledging the past sacrifices by armed forces?
That's right, honouring the memory of all the men and women who served and those who died in both world wars and the conflicts since. In Canada over 1 million people volunteered during WW2, out of a population of 11 million. Conscription legislation was passed in 1942, but policy dictating that conscripts couldn't be sent overseas wasn't reversed until November 1944. Inability of replacements to make up for killed and wounded in late summer of 1944 meant Prime Minister King couldn't afford to appease Quebec and parts of the west in parliament any longer, but only 2,463 conscripts made it to the front lines before the end of the war, and of those, only 79 were killed.
Draftee Vasil Zaharic training for gas in Comox during the war; I know some of the men who knew him, and they were surprised he was in the army, considering he didn't seem very patriotic, but he wasn't there by choice. The war ended before he could be sent over.

All the eligible men and most of the women in my father's family volunteered, and those who went overseas all came back. My dad's eyesight precluded him from going over with his unit, so he stayed a reservist until the end of the war, but all four of his five brothers who were old enough (Jack was too young) went and saw combat. Bill in the infantry (I think), Norman drove a truck because he was too big to fit into a tank, Bob commanded a squadron of Sherman tanks, and Dick was on corvettes in the North Atlantic.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 2:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

My friends with the government jobs and at the big banks were able to honour the fallen by getting drunk at the pub last night. They are blessed with another day off so shortly after also having a day off for reconciliation.

Alas at 11am I shall be on a client call. The civil service and bank staff will no doubt expect their holiday to be paid for.

A good way to honour the forces or more importantly the individuals who make great sacrifice at the politicians behest a charity is via https://woundedwarriors.ca/.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.