Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Laptop Bags - This doesn't make sense!?

Laptop Bags - This doesn't make sense!?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laptop Bags - This doesn't make sense!?

Evening all!

Well, last night I had an unsuccessful trip into town to buy a laptop bag.

So - today I went into a small shop in my town, and asked if they could help. I noticed a backpack that looked big enough to fit my bigger laptop intside it. They said I could even take it home to try (without paying for it)!!!

So - my laptop fits, but just! It does say it's for a 15.4" screen, but it fits in, albeit the top 1/2 inch isn't hidden in the laptop sleeve.

It's this one...

http://www.laptopstuff.co.uk/p/TechA...p_Backpack.htm

Then I looked for ones that say they will fit a bigger laptop, and found this one...

http://www.laptopstuff.co.uk/p/TechA...p_Backpack.htm

If however, you look at the measurements, there is only 0.5cm difference in the laptop sleeve available, and the one designed for the supposed smaller machine is bigger?

I am kind of inclined to keep the one I've been lent to try, as it seems to be no different to the one designed for bigger machines?!

Oh - and I need it by Friday so I can take my laptop on my Holiday / Recce!!!

Cheers.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop Bags - This doesn't make sense!?

Why didn't you take the computer to the shop? You wouldn't try to buy shoes without taking your feet.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:40 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why didn't you take the computer to the shop? You wouldn't try to buy shoes without taking your feet.
Ah, but then what would she take it to the shop in - a bin bag?

Catch 22 worthy of Socrates innit?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Catch 22 indeed!!!

I didn't take my laptop there as I have nothing to carry it in!

The one I bought (or actually one they've lent to me) was for a supposed smaller machine and is the one that is physically bigger in dimensions.

the other one (pink / red) was one I found tonight on the internet, they didn't have anything bigger in the shop.

I was just wondering why the oddness in sizing really. I find it very odd.

B
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

I would venture to suggest that the 15" one is designed for a normal format screen rather than widescreen. This would make the screen taller and therefore result in the width dimension being bigger for the 15".

I know it doesnt help your situation sorry

Tom
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit

I am kind of inclined to keep the one I've been lent to try, as it seems to be no different to the one designed for bigger machines?!

I wouldn't. You pay ££££ for a laptop so don't scrooge on a bag. Get a bag that fits and has good padding.

Another option is to buy a good fitting sleeve and use a normal bag.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For the past fifteen years or so I've mainly used bags given away at conferences but I currently have a Brookstone one purchased when the previous one fell apart in an airport (in America, couldn't tell you where exactly). It seems pretty servicable and the 17" laptop fits. I expect you could get one online.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I wouldn't. You pay ££££ for a laptop so don't scrooge on a bag. Get a bag that fits and has good padding.

Another option is to buy a good fitting sleeve and use a normal bag.
I agree.

The reason I'm confused is the bag I have is dimensionally bigger than the one that is apparently designed for a larger machine?

The machine does fit in it, and is secured by the elastic. It does come above the side impact things by about 1/2 inch, but I can't see how it wouldn't do the same in the one designed for a larger machine as the dimensions are the same.

The other thing I could do is use my friends horrid case which fits into my rucksack. AGain it's not ideal, but I could perhaps buy a case in either Canada or Texas.

I hate this dilema...

B
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

I hate this dilema...

B

Have you seen my previous posts on this when you'vetalked about laptop bags?

I'm a bag junkie.

:-)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

The reason I'm confused is the bag I have is dimensionally bigger than the one that is apparently designed for a larger machine?

The machine does fit in it, and is secured by the elastic. It does come above the side impact things by about 1/2 inch, but I can't see how it wouldn't do the same in the one designed for a larger machine as the dimensions are the same.

The other thing I could do is use my friends horrid case which fits into my rucksack. AGain it's not ideal, but I could perhaps buy a case in either Canada or Texas.

I hate this dilema...

B
Did you go to john lewis? they solve all dilemmas

Or buy some bubble wrap and use a plastic bag
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

TooseyP is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by daft batty
Did you go to john lewis? they solve all dilemmas
I agree, John Lewis is the way
Have a look at the John Lewis Laptop Sleeve, 17"
With next day delivery (for extra cost of course)
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:03 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Laptops defy the laws of physics.

Once you put them in a bag they triple in weight until you take them out again.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Laptops defy the laws of physics.

Once you put them in a bag they triple in weight until you take them out again.
OMG - that is so true
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi guys

I have not been to J Lewis's, there aren't any near me.

I have decided to hold off, and see if there is any thing I can get in either Houston or Canada instead. I have an interim solution for now....!

And I agree - the rucksack / laptop did get so much heavier once they were paired up! Amazing!

Thanks YYZ too - I have looked at all the recommendations you made, thank you. Again I'll see what I can get over the pond!

Bx
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

I have not been to J Lewis's, there aren't any near me.

I have decided to hold off, and see if there is any thing I can get in either Houston or Canada instead. I have an interim solution for now....!

And I agree - the rucksack / laptop did get so much heavier once they were paired up! Amazing!

Thanks YYZ too - I have looked at all the recommendations you made, thank you. Again I'll see what I can get over the pond!

Bx
You cant get to Kingston?? They sell online anyway, have a look at the website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.