Reload this Page >

land line or cell phone

land line or cell phone

Old May 28th 2011, 2:24 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: land line or cell phone

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's not what the folk in the Lab said when I asked about incoming Skype numbers last October.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690252

I'd be very happy if you're right and they're wrong.
(not sure why my original post did not show up)

The thread you posted was talking about a Canadian Skype-In number (which is not possible at the moment)....whereas it has been suggested that the OP get a UK Skype-In number. We use this service and have a 0161 number which our UK relatives use so they are only charged UK phone call fees.

You can choose a UK area code when you subscribe to a UK skype-in number. If you have a subscription then you get free call forwarding which I registered to our landline number so if we are in a skype call then it forwards a 2nd call (concurrent) to the land line.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: land line or cell phone

Originally Posted by Steve_P
One thing I would make sure is provided before I dumped a land line is 911 service. Does Skype or any other none land line service give your location to the 911 operator if you need to call 911.

May not sound important now but you never know when you will need that service.
Originally Posted by Steve_P
I know you can call 911 on your cell phone but does your cell phone have the capability to give the operator your location.

Edit: Disregard the above apparently all cell phones have the capability through triangulation of the cell towers used. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t1035.htm
Just putting this out there. I agree with Steve here, and this is one of the reasons I would not get rid of a regular landline, either here or in the UK.

I worked in the police emergency comms room for some years. Even in the UK, when people started switching away from BT to new competition, those new companies took forever to be able to provide location details - it has improved over the years.

The real-life ability for emergency services to quickly triangulate cell phone locations is not quite like the movies - they have to go up through a chain of command to get permissions.