Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Kitchen cabinets - advice needed (installation)

Kitchen cabinets - advice needed (installation)

Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:49 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kitchen cabinets - advice needed (installation)

We had an insurance job done a while ago, following a water leak in the kitchen that knackered part of the basement. The guy sent in to do the repairs is also a cabinet maker. We took the opportunity to have him modify the kitchen cabinets. An element of this was to build a lazy Susan corner unit. We had to get two custom doors made. These have yet to be installed and we'd rather not go back to the cabinet maker because he cocked up the basement reno.

I will have to do it myself. I've done it before but not like this.

The intention is to have a bi-fold door. One door will be attached to the cabinet with full-overlay hinges (Blum). I've done a practice run with some some scrap and it seems to work. The other door, which will be at 90 degrees when shut, will be attached with a piano hinge. I have one.

The doors were made to very precise sizes he gave us. They are smaller than the holes they will cover, so there is clearly some spacing factored in, presumably where the piano hinge goes.

I need some help (there, I said it).

How do I install the doors? I'm talking step by step and working out how to position the piano hinge etc. Custom doors are not cheap and take ages to get, so I've really only got one shot at it.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:36 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kitchen cabinets - advice needed (installation)

If you really only have one shot at it and it's important to get it right, why not just bring in another cabinet maker? Shouldn't be too much $ if you already have everything ready to go.

Otherwise I'd just say give it a go, sounds like you have a good plan but need some contingency (e.g. match sticks and filler for bunging up bad drill holes).

Last edited by Greenhill; Jun 11th 2009 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Cut out some pieces of ply/mdf the same size as the expensive doors and experiment on them first?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
How do I install the doors? I'm talking step by step and working out how to position the piano hinge etc. Custom doors are not cheap and take ages to get, so I've really only got one shot at it.
I think I know what you're up to, but a couple of pics would help.

If you don't have them, definitely get some vix bits for drilling the screw holes for the piano hinge.

How about using some two-sided carpet tape first to test the positioning/alignment of the piano hinge... can you do that without messing up the finish of the doors?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Cut out some pieces of ply/mdf the same size as the expensive doors and experiment on them first?
Done that yesterday. Still none the wiser. It's probably a no-brainer for someone who knows what they are doing.

I note that one of my opposite neighbours has got some men in for a carpentry job. I may take a stroll over there later, after I've popped into an ATM.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:36 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Done that yesterday. Still none the wiser. It's probably a no-brainer for someone who knows what they are doing.

I note that one of my opposite neighbours has got some men in for a carpentry job. I may take a stroll over there later, after I've popped into an ATM.
Probably well worth the cost of a two-four of their favorite brew !
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a job for Mike Holmes.

Although by the time he's done fixing your cabinet, he'll have replaced the entire neighbourhood.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by rwin
Sounds like a job for Mike Holmes.

Although by the time he's done fixing your cabinet, he'll have replaced the entire neighbourhood.
And hugged everyone in sight.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:22 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I know the sort you mean - have them in the kitchen at home, however I cannot offer any advice (remembers planters). I cannot see why you can't, like AX says, cut a couple of pieces the same size from something else - fit the hinges on and see if that works. If it does do it on the real ones.

Mike Holmes would also build you a new deck
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I know the sort you mean - have them in the kitchen at home, however I cannot offer any advice (remembers planters). I cannot see why you can't, like AX says, cut a couple of pieces the same size from something else - fit the hinges on and see if that works. If it does do it on the real ones.

Mike Holmes would also build you a new deck
I can fiddle around with practice bits for ever. God knows I've done that enough times. I'd just rather know the 'proper' and quick way to do it.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:41 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I can fiddle around with practice bits for ever. God knows I've done that enough times. I'd just rather know the 'proper' and quick way to do it.
If its proper it probably aint gonna be quick
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
If its proper it probably aint gonna be quick
Yes, make an estimate and add 5 days.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:51 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Why not go to your closest Home Depot/Rona or whatever and ask there ? Usually there are retired tradespeople who are more than happy to help. Take some digi pictures with you to show them what you are trying to do. That's what I did and it worked.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Why not go to your closest Home Depot/Rona or whatever and ask there ? Usually there are retired tradespeople who are more than happy to help. Take some digi pictures with you to show them what you are trying to do. That's what I did and it worked.
Sound advice but I've gone one better. I asked my neighbour. He's done it before. I now know what to do. His drill press is also in my garage.

I particularly like the last bit. I will be able to show Souvette what the thing does. It's pretty much the only toy I need (want) that I haven't got and the third Sunday in June looms.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:55 pm
Bon Vivant

Sound advice but I've gone one better. I asked my neighbour. He's done it before. I now know what to do. His drill press is also in my garage.

I particularly like the last bit. I will be able to show Souvette what the thing does. It's pretty much the only toy I need (want) that I haven't got and the third Sunday in June looms.
I bought an 8" multi-speed bench top drill press from The Tire on sale for $39 a couple of years ago. It does all I need it to do. Just don't waste money on junk drill bits, especially if you dill metal. I refurbish Dinkys and it does a great job drilling out the rivets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.