Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Kids are kids for much longer"

"Kids are kids for much longer"

Old May 30th 2010, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Kids are kids for much longer"

I worked last night and x-rayed a few kids, as you do. X-raying Canadian kids is generally much nicer and easier than British kids. They don't make a whole song and dance about it. They don't seem particularly scared but more interested in the whole thing. To me they seem more confident and independent. I explain what's going to happen and what they need to do and usually they do it if they can. If they aren't too keen then the parent will say something to the effect of "I don't like it either, it isn't pleasant but it has to be done". The kids who aren't in terrible pain usually smile, chat away, and ask questions. If it's a babe in arms the parents are usually pretty good at holding the child in the right position etc.

Of course you get the occasional case of teenage angst or toddler tantrum but they are rarer and the parents deal with it more often than not.

So, before all the British parents post indignant replies- I'm sure that your child would not have been one of the screaming, fighting, "I can't do it" kids back in Britain and yes of course there were some decent ones but I'm curious about when and how and if one of those kids would become a pleasant Canadian kid?
Old May 30th 2010, 4:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I disagree with that. I suggest that my attempt at O level English (resulting in unclassified failure) left me with a better command of the language than one needs in order to finish a bachelor's degree at any university in Canada. Further, I suggest that the better high schools in Canada offer the bac (www.ibo.org) and that it tested to exactly the same standard as applies to students taking the bac in the UK. Beyond that, Canadians are taught **** all about life beyond their county, nevermind beyond their country, they are desperately parochial even by comparison with Americans.
I'm currently working in an IB school ( not as a teacher) and have to say I'm very impressed with the academic rigour of the science portion

looking at the physics teachers in particular , they are teaching concepts to the grade 7s that the UK exam boards no longer touch on even in A Level
Old May 30th 2010, 5:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I'm currently working in an IB school ( not as a teacher) and have to say I'm very impressed with the academic rigour of the science portion

looking at the physics teachers in particular , they are teaching concepts to the grade 7s that the UK exam boards no longer touch on even in A Level
Such as?
Old May 30th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Aaah but this answer is a different perspective of how many people would believe Canada is better "for the kids"

It's not the country, it's the parent.

I feel better now

THATS THE POINT I MADE AGES AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being in a good environment just further allows good parents to do even better. If you were crap in England, you aint going to swallow Dr Spoks good parenting guide, internalise supernanny and suddenly start farting rainbows. (Although maybe the above aren't good examples but you know where I'm going with this!)

Invested parent = blossoming child. simple.

El Richo, I love you.

Mrs M x
Old May 30th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely expression......
Invested parent = blossoming child.
lol
Stef
Old May 30th 2010, 6:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Such as?
Just of the top of my head
forces as vectors , working out resultants ( this is covered very basically in AS physics but the grade 12s were working in situations even when the forces were not perpendicular )

in biology , the grade 8s look at cell organelles in a lotmore detail than is taught at KS3 , even looking at things like the role of the Golgi apparatus in protein synthesis

I'm sure I'll think of more but the physics seems a lot more mathematically rigorous with basic calculus concepts being introduced a lot earlier

I recall an AS mechanics paper in my last year of teaching in the UK which consisted of a drawing of a box withan arrow pointing to the left labelled 5 newtons and an arrow to the right labelled 2 newtons
the question was to work out the resultant force and was worth 2 marks

Last edited by Zoe Bell; May 30th 2010 at 6:46 pm.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell

They have IB schools in the UK.
Old May 31st 2010, 12:52 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by Oink
They have IB schools in the UK.
Yes they do , many of the independent schools now teach it as a more rigorous alternative to the dumbing down of A levels

I'd be interested in making a comparison between IB schools in the UK and Canada because the IB is "tweeked" in each country to meet national ( or provincial) standards

A colleague with whom I used to work actively looked out for IB schools as an alternative to leaving teaching completely. I know he's still around because , bizarely our school had to mail him some moderation samples

I've had to mail our samples to the UK, Isreal, Portugal , Japan and Azerbaijan. The latter has still to arrive I think it's going by donkey post !
Old May 31st 2010, 12:29 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
El Richo, I love you.

Mrs M x
Aaw shucks