British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Kevin O'Leary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/kevin-oleary-890303/)

magnumpi Jan 18th 2017 3:09 pm

Kevin O'Leary

Oh my, our very own Trump like race for leadership.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...?client=safari

Danny B Jan 18th 2017 3:15 pm

Re: Kevin O'Leary

“I have been a commentator on television for over a decade … I’ve said many different things,” O’Leary said on television.

“During those years, there’s 10,000 hours of things I’ve said, and I expect all them to get regurgitated. They don’t mean anything. They’re not policy.”

Are we to expect a "grab em by the pussy" story soon?

not2old Jan 18th 2017 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12155058)
“I have been a commentator on television for over a decade … I’ve said many different things,” O’Leary said on television.

“During those years, there’s 10,000 hours of things I’ve said, and I expect all them to get regurgitated. They don’t mean anything. They’re not policy.”

Are we to expect a "grab em by the pussy" story soon?

Stateside - 'I am a millionaire, a reality TV star, look, I can tweet, call people liars, have a bad hair day, I can do no wrong - I will be the next President of the United States'

Anything is possible, just look at the US

On the basis that O'leary wins the conservative leadership race, Trump likes O'Leary & does all the support propaganda for our man up to the next Canadian federal election.

Could O'leary be the next Canadian PM, and in doing so, would he just be another (mini me) Trump?

I could see it happening

Paul_Shepherd Jan 18th 2017 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=not2old;12155092]Stateside - 'I am a millionaire, a reality TV star, look, I can tweet, call people liars, have a bad hair day, I can do no wrong - I will be the next President of the United States'

Anything is possible, just look at the US

On the basis that O'leary wins the conservative leadership race, Trump likes O'Leary & does all the support propaganda for our man up to the next Canadian federal election.

Could O'leary be the next Canadian PM, and in doing so, would he just be another (mini me) Trump?

I could see it happening

I dont like O'Leary he is an arrogant d*ck, however we need someone who is going to look after Canada's interests, and i think he could do that....certainly cant be any worse than the wet lettuce we currently have as PM.

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 4:40 pm

I only know of this chap because someone here this morning described him as "the new Michael Ignatieff". On that basis, and due to not speaking the language, he doesn't seem likely to ruffle Trudeau's tresses.

Paul_Shepherd Jan 18th 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155151)
I only know of this chap because someone here this morning described him as "the new Michael Ignatieff". On that basis, and due to not speaking the language, he doesn't seem likely to ruffle Trudeau's tresses.

The Micheal Ignatieff reference becauase his past comments and statements will come back to haunt him and ultimately cost him his credibility?

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12155155)
The Micheal Ignatieff reference becauase his past comments and statements will come back to haunt him and ultimately cost him his credibility?

No because he lives in America and will go back there after whichever contest eliminates him. A tourist candidate.

Paul_Shepherd Jan 18th 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155162)
No because he lives in America and will go back there after whichever contest eliminates him. A tourist candidate.

Oh right. I didnt know he lived in the states. Hmm no thats not good. I suppose it emphasies his aggrogance.

However if he sees Canada as a business more than a country, and puts Canada;s interests first, that may not be a bad thing.

not2old Jan 18th 2017 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155162)

now located in Budapest, Hungary

leith Jan 18th 2017 6:01 pm

While Kevin O'Leary does come across as greedy and ruthless. at least he has shown that he knows how to manage money and seems to be articulate and speaks to the point, abilities in which Trudeau has shown himself to be grossly lacking. We'll need somebody to clean up the financial and social mess Trudeau is making. Maybe O'Leary wouldn't be a bad choice. I also think it's unfair to compare O'Leary to Donald Trump as he has no history of making the type of offensive comments Trump is noted for.

Souvy Jan 18th 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by leith (Post 12155213)
While Kevin O'Leary does come across as greedy and ruthless. at least he has shown that he knows how to manage money and seems to be articulate and speaks to the point, abilities in which Trudeau has shown himself to be grossly lacking. We'll need somebody to clean up the financial and social mess Trudeau is making. Maybe O'Leary wouldn't be a bad choice. I also think it's unfair to compare O'Leary to Donald Trump as he has no history of making the type of offensive comments Trump is noted for.

He notably waited to declare until after the French language debate between a dozen or so candidates last night.

Amusingly, an Anglophone scored better on language than one of the two native francophones.

JamesM Jan 18th 2017 6:26 pm

O'Leary will be the next Prime Minister.

He is sharper than Trump but probably more outspoken too.

If Rob Ford can be elected in Toronto then O'Leary can almost certainly be elected.

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12155227)

If Rob Ford can be elected in Toronto then O'Leary can almost certainly be elected.

It's interesting that, in the one picture I've seen of him, he's wearing a bar collar. When did you last see a bar collar?

JamesM Jan 18th 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155238)
It's interesting that, in the one picture I've seen of him, he's wearing a bar collar. When did you last see a bar collar?

Not in recent memory.

O'Leary does wish he was a big league financier in Canary Wharf or the City though. He's the sort of person who could only carry this much weight in a place like Canada with such marginal success.

Souvy Jan 18th 2017 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12155227)

Only if he can create a blue wave in QC.

Quebeckers vote with their hearts (remember Layton's QC sweep?).

One incautious comment by Kev would screw the Tories.

Oakvillian Jan 18th 2017 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155238)

It's a look that I don't think has ever really been in style. He wears soft collars and a collar pin. It's a bizarre fashion statement that I'm sure is masking some childhood trauma where he got told off for having his top button undone, or his tie inadequately knotted, or something. What is it about Canadian TV pundits and weird neckwear? What with O'Leary's collar pins and Don Cherry's extraordinary Edwardian collar arrangements, there's a certain, um, anachronistic individuality being expressed here...

Teaandtoday5 Jan 18th 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12155166)
Oh right. I didnt know he lived in the states. Hmm no thats not good. I suppose it emphasies his aggrogance.

However if he sees Canada as a business more than a country, and puts Canada;s interests first, that may not be a bad thing.

I LOVE 'aggrogance'. Well the word anyway. It perfectly describes Trump, O'Leary and their ilk! Other than that this is a profoundly depressing thread.

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12155312)
It's a look that I don't think has ever really been in style. He wears soft collars and a collar pin. It's a bizarre fashion statement that I'm sure is masking some childhood trauma where he got told off for having his top button undone, or his tie inadequately knotted, or something. What is it about Canadian TV pundits and weird neckwear? What with O'Leary's collar pins and Don Cherry's extraordinary Edwardian collar arrangements, there's a certain, um, anachronistic individuality being expressed here...

Is it an homage to Gordon Gecko?

Partially discharged Jan 18th 2017 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12155312)
It's a bizarre fashion statement that I'm sure is masking some childhood trauma where he got told off for having his top button undone, or his tie inadequately knotted, or something.

I think the childhood trauma was described by Mr. Wonderful between 4:20 and 5:10 in the youtube clip. Oh the horror of actually being asked to clean up gum off the floor.

I think his chances of getting the nomination are unbelievably low.

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 10:20 pm

He does seem to be rather a Trump:

The real (and shocking) story of Kevin O'Leary's business career | National Observer

sharkus Jan 18th 2017 11:13 pm

I really don't like the guy. Can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there is just "something" about it that sets off my spidey sense.

I fully suspect a whole rash of skeletons appearing out of many, many closets, fairly shortly. If we're really lucky that'll cause him to crawl under a very large rock and not come back out into the light.

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12155409)
I think the childhood trauma was described by Mr. Wonderful between 4:20 and 5:10 in the youtube clip. Oh the horror of actually being asked to clean up gum off the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCmmHs_XO8&t=25s

Wow, that's an offensive infomercial. A couple of oddities:

- Brador is 6% alcohol not 15.

- If he's from Montreal, how come he went to his first job "in Ottawa, Canada" by bicycle, was he a remarkably fit 12 year old?

I hadn't heard of him before yesterday and already I'll be glad when he's gone.

bats Jan 18th 2017 11:39 pm

He doesn't speak French. That's a problem isn't it? Still his wine is OK, if it means we all get free wine I'll vote for him.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 18th 2017 11:55 pm

He say's he never ever worked for someone else again, not exactly true since he did work for Mattel and was fired from Mattel pretty quickly as well.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12155409)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCmmHs_XO8&t=25s

Atlantic Xpat Jan 19th 2017 9:06 am

Success in politics is all about hair. Not necessarily good hair (q.v. Stephen Harper & Donald Trump) but having notable hair. Mr Trudeau has good hair. Mr O'Leary has none. Thus he will fail. ;)

Former Lancastrian Jan 19th 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12155763)
Success in politics is all about hair. Not necessarily good hair (q.v. Stephen Harper & Donald Trump) but having notable hair. Mr Trudeau has good hair. Mr O'Leary has none. Thus he will fail. ;)

Have you noticed how Theresa May is changing her hair since becoming PM.
Hillary tried by changing hers but it didn't work. Angela Merkel, Nicola Sturgeon have all been experimenting with different styles of hair.
You are definitely onto something.

As for O'Leary well lets see what happens. His inclusion along with the other 13 candidates for leader of the PC party to challenge Justin at the next election will be interesting.

Souvy Jan 19th 2017 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12155812)
Have you noticed how Theresa May is changing her hair since becoming PM.
Hillary tried by changing hers but it didn't work. Angela Merkel, Nicola Sturgeon have all been experimenting with different styles of hair.
You are definitely onto something.

As for O'Leary well lets see what happens. His inclusion along with the other 13 candidates for leader of the PC party to challenge Justin at the next election will be interesting.

Thatcher changed her hair.

not2old Jan 19th 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12155763)

French lessons & a wig should do it... can you imagine that happening :eek:

macadian Jan 19th 2017 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12155487)
He doesn't speak French. That's a problem isn't it? Still his wine is OK, if it means we all get free wine I'll vote for him.

French question easily solved. Force independence on Quebec, build a wall, test any prospective immigrants from Quebec thereafter on Canadian values...Simples init, job done....😎

Partially discharged Jan 19th 2017 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155481)
Wow, that's an offensive infomercial. A couple of oddities:

- Brador is 6% alcohol not 15.

- If he's from Montreal, how come he went to his first job "in Ottawa, Canada" by bicycle, was he a remarkably fit 12 year old?

I hadn't heard of him before yesterday and already I'll be glad when he's gone.

Yes, I caught the exaggeration on Brador. Nobody drinks Brador for the taste.

I think he grew up in Montreal, but at some point moved to Ottawa. Not sure if a 12 year old could get a job at an ice cream parlour but who knows. The bemused looks of the current owners of the former ice cream parlour location in that youtube clip kill me.

dbd33 Jan 19th 2017 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12156032)
Yes, I caught the exaggeration on Brador. Nobody drinks Brador for the taste.

I think he grew up in Montreal, but at some point moved to Ottawa. Not sure if a 12 year old could get a job at an ice cream parlour but who knows. The bemused looks of the current owners of the former ice cream parlour location in that youtube clip kill me.

So, what I know about this chap is in this thread. He has a job on local television being offensive, belittling people. When he claims something to be a fact he's inaccurate and boastful on the ones that are easily checked. He has no background in politics and no obvious diplomatic skills. He dresses oddly. In a country with two official languages he speaks only one. In the country where he lives an obnoxious arsehole has been made leader so he thinks that, being an arsehole himself, he can fly up to Canada, cash in on Canada's copycat tendencies and do the same thing.

I think if a nominal Canadian with no relevant skills is to be elected, I'd prefer Celine Dion or Pamela Anderson. This fellow's claim to self importance is that he's made some money; well so have they and one can even sing.

Ebonhawke Jan 19th 2017 3:56 pm

On a television interview, O'Leary claimed that he supports LGBTQ rights, same-sex marriage, pro-choice, and legalization of marijuana among other things... he does realize which party he's running to be the leader of, right?

Partially discharged Jan 19th 2017 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12156057)
I think if a nominal Canadian with no relevant skills is to be elected, I'd prefer Celine Dion or Pamela Anderson. This fellow's claim to self importance is that he's made some money; well so have they and one can even sing.

I wasn't aware that Pamela Anderson had a singing career.

bats Jan 20th 2017 1:53 pm

Is the choice going to be him or Kelly Leitch?
We're doomed I tell you, doomed.

Atlantic Xpat Jan 20th 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12156750)
Is the choice going to be him or Kelly Leitch?
We're doomed I tell you, doomed.

If it were either, I personally doubt they'd get elected. Canadians seem to have been done with our version of conservatism under Mr Harper & in the face of Trump and rising right wing politicians elsewhere I think that we'll stay with Liberalism and PM Selfie.

magnumpi Jan 20th 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12156768)
If it were either, I personally doubt they'd get elected. Canadians seem to have been done with our version of conservatism under Mr Harper & in the face of Trump and rising right wing politicians elsewhere I think that we'll stay with Liberalism and PM Selfie.

So u are the one that voted Liberal, I knew some one did, the start of recovery is just getting them to admit it.

dbd33 Jan 20th 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12156786)
So u are the one that voted Liberal, I knew some one did, the start of recovery is just getting them to admit it.

If I were to vote in Canada I would vote Liberal. I'm an immigrant and wouldn't be here but for the Liberals.

Souvy Jan 20th 2017 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12156787)
If I were to vote in Canada I would vote Liberal. I'm an immigrant and wouldn't be here but for the Liberals.

I would have voted Liberal last time.

Unfortunately, the candidate came door-stepping and managed to insult both me and my missus. I didn't vote for him (or indeed anyone else).

The git won anyway (and he's not even from QC).

dbd33 Jan 20th 2017 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12156798)
I would have voted Liberal last time.

Unfortunately, the candidate came door-stepping and managed to insult both me and my missus. I didn't vote for him (or indeed anyone else).

The git won anyway (and he's not even from QC).

The only canvasser who came to our door was the NDP candidate. I was impressed at his dedication as I should think that, in farm country, he'd usually be greeted by waving firearms and called dogs.

Shard Jan 20th 2017 5:46 pm

I have a friend who has met him a couple of times. I asked him, is he such a prick in real life? Answer: even more so.