Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Keeping pets off of flower beds

Keeping pets off of flower beds

Old May 30th 2011, 6:47 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keeping pets off of flower beds

Anyone any suggestions?

Having spent a backbreaking couple of hours doing the horticultural thing, I was pleased with my results.

Apparently so was the dog and pulled up the quaint little black plastic fencing i'd put around the border and chewed it to shreds.

As did he with 12 solar lights.

Now he has taken to laying on the plants when the shade gets there.

I've put boulders and rocks in there and feebly called it a design feature, but at this rate it'll look like a bloody quarry.

I tink razor wire and broken glass might be a bit cruel
Old May 30th 2011, 6:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping pets off of flower beds

Canadian Tire, Home Depot etc

Could use as a BBQ marinade in a pinch too

Wont make the flowers smell too good though...

This looks cool too, if more expensive...
http://www.havahart.com/store/electr...pellents/5265b

Last edited by iaink; May 30th 2011 at 6:54 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:56 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Well what the hell- didn't even realise there was stuff about like that

Stinky flower beds here we come

Thanks Iain
Old May 30th 2011, 7:17 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 30th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Well what the hell- didn't even realise there was stuff about like that

Stinky flower beds here we come

Thanks Iain
Dont waist your money, I tried that and a few other such cocktails and my puppy just loved the stuff, I ended up spraying her more than the plants Try training your dog, by whatching that whisper chap, its cheaper and easier.
Old May 30th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

The beast before she hit the flower beds
Attached Thumbnails Keeping pets off of flower beds-008.jpg  
Old May 30th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Anyone any suggestions?

Having spent a backbreaking couple of hours doing the horticultural thing, I was pleased with my results.

Apparently so was the dog and pulled up the quaint little black plastic fencing i'd put around the border and chewed it to shreds.

As did he with 12 solar lights.

Now he has taken to laying on the plants when the shade gets there.

I've put boulders and rocks in there and feebly called it a design feature, but at this rate it'll look like a bloody quarry.

I tink razor wire and broken glass might be a bit cruel

Don't you have a Springer Spaniel? If you do then there is nothing you can do, we have tried all kinds of tactics to keep ours out of things which he wants to get in to and we would prefer he didn't. His greatest achievement to date is figuring out how to open the child lock which I attached to the cupboard where the kitchen bin is stored. Took him a few weeks but he finally figured that if he stands on his hind legs, uses one front paw against the counter to balance himself, slides the other paw down to the top of the cupboard door, prises the cupboard open and slips his paw inside he can release the lock. No one else in the family managed to figure it out for themselves!
Old May 30th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=HGerchikov;9398218]Don't you have a Springer Spaniel? If you do then there is nothing you can do, we have tried all kinds of tactics to keep ours out of things which he wants to get in to and we would prefer he didn't. His greatest achievement to date is figuring out how to open the child lock which I attached to the cupboard where the kitchen bin is stored. Took him a few weeks but he finally figured that if he stands on his hind legs, uses one front paw against the counter to balance himself, slides the other paw down to the top of the cupboard door, prises the cupboard open and slips his paw inside he can release the lock. No one else in the family managed to figure it out for themselves![/QUOTE]

Not some thing I would really brag about
Old May 30th 2011, 9:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Old May 30th 2011, 9:33 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I planted a vegetable patch, needless to say the cats and dog were irresistibly drawn to it. I stuck some stakes in the ground and got some chicken wire up. That keeps that cats out but the dog still needs monitored. I'd say give it a go but make the fence a decent height.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:39 am
Sawdust making harpy

Thanks for the replies - have watched Mr Caesar Milan and would like to see a calm submissive springer !!!!!!!

Today I have the sprinkler on and thats keeping him well away - however seeing as I haven't planted a paddy field this is not a long term option.

I2C have tried sticks and even if he can't get them out he will spend all day trampling around the flowers to get a grip on the stakes and just stand there and heave. (We have a decorative windmill in the yard too that he pulled out all the metal support stakes to.

I may try a gun but think the SPCA might have issues.

Aside from that then its more rocks (lucky the pasture is full of em)
Old May 31st 2011, 2:20 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Pepper? Bitter apple?
Old May 31st 2011, 2:31 am
recycled member

peas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't there 'sprinklers' (or water guns might be a better description) that shoot a spray of water when something passes in front of a detector? Or am I imagining this? Imagination~reality gets me confused sometimes.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:42 am
recycled member

peas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, while googling for what I meant above, I came across this:

(But that is the type of thing I mean.)
Old May 31st 2011, 2:47 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Invisible fence works quite well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.