Reload this Page >

Job Hunting in Vancouver

Job Hunting in Vancouver

Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

amyb9772 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Hunting in Vancouver

Hello all!

I am a 22 year old English business graduate looking to relocate to Vancouver as soon as possible. As my parents spent 15 years living there before moving back to the UK(and had my brother in the process), I am lucky enough to have full citizenship and a passport. However I’m not sure how best to go about seeking employment and wondered if anyone could offer me any advice?

I’ve managed to save up enough money for my flight and living expenses for the first month or so, but I really cant afford to support myself out there with no job for very long, and so ideally id like to secure something, or at the very least some strong leads, before making the move. I know that puts me at a real disadvantage though- are companies likely to conduct a phone interview instead or will me being oversees mean I don’t have a chance?

Given my age I would say that I have fairly good work experience, having completed a 15 month work placement at a large global company in Franc as a part of my degree, as well as having had temporary jobs as a PA and as an office assistant. I’m seeking something in marketing and internal communication in a large or small company and have been applying on sites such as vancouversun.com and monster.ca, as well as sending my resume to various recruitment agencies, in addition to some speculative enquires to larger companies. As yet I haven’t had any responses but its only been a couple of weeks.

Has anyone out there tried to do this before? If so, what do you think my chances are?

Id be really grateful for any advice or experiences people could share with me!
Amy
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:59 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting in Vancouver

www.workpolis.ca
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amyb9772
... I’ve managed to save up enough money for my flight and living expenses for the first month or so, but I really cant afford to support myself out there with no job for very long ...
This bit worries me. With the job market as it is right now you might really struggle to get something that suits you in just one month. The latest (July) unemployment statistics showed that 25% of 16-25 year olds were unemployed in BC. That will change when the students go back next month, and a province wide average is not necessarily representative of the province's major city, but it is hard to find good work right now.

Having said that, the chances of getting a job will be much higher if you are here than on the end of a phone. This is not my field so I can't give you any suggestions other than be prepared to be very flexible in the kind of work you are prepared to do, and the wages you are prepared to work for.

Last edited by JonboyE; Aug 21st 2009 at 7:35 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amyb9772
Hello all!

I am a 22 year old English business graduate looking to relocate to Vancouver as soon as possible. As my parents spent 15 years living there before moving back to the UK(and had my brother in the process), I am lucky enough to have full citizenship and a passport. However I’m not sure how best to go about seeking employment and wondered if anyone could offer me any advice?

I’ve managed to save up enough money for my flight and living expenses for the first month or so, but I really cant afford to support myself out there with no job for very long, and so ideally id like to secure something, or at the very least some strong leads, before making the move. I know that puts me at a real disadvantage though- are companies likely to conduct a phone interview instead or will me being oversees mean I don’t have a chance?

Given my age I would say that I have fairly good work experience, having completed a 15 month work placement at a large global company in Franc as a part of my degree, as well as having had temporary jobs as a PA and as an office assistant. I’m seeking something in marketing and internal communication in a large or small company and have been applying on sites such as vancouversun.com and monster.ca, as well as sending my resume to various recruitment agencies, in addition to some speculative enquires to larger companies. As yet I haven’t had any responses but its only been a couple of weeks.

Has anyone out there tried to do this before? If so, what do you think my chances are?

Id be really grateful for any advice or experiences people could share with me!
Amy
What's plan 'B' if you run out of money.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:04 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

As a recruiter here in Vancouver I can assure you it will take you longer than a month to find a role, I know of people that are still looking after 3/4 months, and while things seem to be improving it is slow. Your competition is going to be people with "local" experience that Canadian employers will give preference, there has been mass lay off's with Ebay and other call centres that has flooded the market with candidates.

I'd suggest that as soon as you get here register with some agencies and also widen your search to encompass retail and hostess/bar roles, at least that way you'll be working while you search for a more permanent role.

Good luck!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I'd suggest that as soon as you get here register with some agencies and also widen your search to encompass retail and hostess/bar roles, at least that way you'll be working while you search for a more permanent role.

Good luck!
Thats good advice!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd try to save enough money to support yourself for several months atleast.

I've been in the job market for months now, and today is my first interview in months, and I apply for 10-20 jobs each day, 60 so far in August with very little results.

So plan for the worst and try and save some more money, a month is not too realistic right now based on my experience, and retail doesn't seem too eager to hire at the moment either so even lower paying jobs are not easy to grab.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'd try to save enough money to support yourself for several months atleast.

I've been in the job market for months now, and today is my first interview in months, and I apply for 10-20 jobs each day, 60 so far in August with very little results.

So plan for the worst and try and save some more money, a month is not too realistic right now based on my experience, and retail doesn't seem too eager to hire at the moment either so even lower paying jobs are not easy to grab.
Good advice - at a minimum this should be three months I reckon. If I was about to do that - I would make sure I had six months worth of funds before the move just to give me time to get something going.

Assuming you are female you have (if you are cute enough) the advantage of being able to be an annoying waitress in places like earls or cactus - something that isn't really open to Jsmth321.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:36 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
What's plan 'B' if you run out of money.
'Whoring'
Originally Posted by Alan2005
Good advice - at a minimum this should be three months I reckon. If I was about to do that - I would make sure I had six months worth of funds before the move just to give me time to get something going.

Assuming you are female you have (if you are cute enough) the advantage of being able to be an annoying waitress in places like earls or cactus - something that isn't really open to Jsmth321.
Like I said 'whoring' (in my experience there is no need to be 'cute' as long as you are willing to bang the manager and /or wear an unbelievably short skirt and flash your breasts)
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
'Whoring'

Like I said 'whoring' (in my experience there is no need to be 'cute' as long as you are willing to bang the manager and /or wear an unbelievably short skirt and flash your breasts)
Just as well the OP is a citizen already then - cos I'm pretty sure that isn't on the NOC 38 'jobs in demand' list.

Edit to add: Your experience eh?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

'Whoring'

Not everybody has to follow your example to get by
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:05 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Not everybody has to follow your example to get by
I have no shame in admitting that I have 'whored' myself at times. In (some of) the occupations I've been involved in its not classed as a bad thing to do.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:06 pm

I have no shame in admitting that I have 'whored' myself at times. In (some of) the occupations I've been involved in its not classed as a bad thing to do.
So which was it? Did you bang the manager or wear an unbelievable short skirt and flash your breasts?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
So which was it? Did you bang the manager or wear an unbelievable short skirt and flash your breasts?
the last
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Today the facebook profile for one of kids says:

"... has touched down in Vancouver. Needs a bike, a phone, a home and a job."

Alas, it's not the one with the traffic stopping skirt and shoe combinations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.